What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Port Wing Wiring Difficulties

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
There must be a trick.

I can get the grommets over the wires after cutting a slot in the grommet, but pushing the crowded grommet into the 'retainers' on the bulkheads is my problem. A special tool needed? Stronger fingers?

The starboard wing is not as difficult. Fewer wires crowding through the grommets.

For snap-in grommets that are not too crowded, you can take a piece of aluminum tubing the size of the grommet and about 3"long. Cut a slit wide enough to fit the wires through... you can fit the wires one at a time into the slot that should be no more than 1/3 of the circumference of the tube.

If that won't push the grommet in place, nothing will.

note.... This will also work to remove snap-in grommets. Use tubing that has the same ID as the hole the grommet is snapped into. Slot should be as small as possible. Place over the wire or cable and push on the backside of the grommet. Pull the grommet out.

Last edited:
For snap-in grommets that are not too crowded, you can take a piece of aluminum tubing the size of the grommet and about 3"long. Cut a slit wide enough to fit the wires through... you can fit the wires one at a time into the slot that should be no more than 1/3 of the circumference of the tube.

If that won't push the grommet in place, nothing will.

note.... This will also work to remove snap-in grommets. Use tubing that has the same ID as the hole the grommet is snapped into. Slot should be as small as possible. Place over the wire or cable and push on the backside of the grommet. Pull the grommet out.

So, use the tubing as a sort-of drift?

Too crowded

In the case of the port wing wiring, the grommets are 5/8” and jam packed with wires. So, ‘not too crowded’ does not apply. This would have been difficult without the floor installed, but with the floor its ney impossible. Removing the floor now is not a reasonable option, so a special tool may need to be fabbed. Im thinking long reach pliers with forked tongues to squeeze the grommets in. Dunno.

My helper with small hands got three of the four grommets installed on the starboard side with much difficulty, but got it done. Port is another story.

5/8" OD plastic tube. cut a slit and put over bundle. Then slide into hole and tie wrap tube to bundle to prevent movement. This eliminates the retention ridges that are your problem and should go right in.

The problem is likely caused by the use of the terms "port/starboard", are you building a boat? :eek:

There must be a trick.

I can get the grommets over the wires after cutting a slot in the grommet, but pushing the crowded grommet into the 'retainers' on the bulkheads is my problem. A special tool needed? Stronger fingers?

The starboard wing is not as difficult. Fewer wires crowding through the grommets.

Maybe I am missing some previous details but can you use a bigger grommet? I run the Dynon autopilot servo, a magnetometer, and wing lighting and all the wires fit with room to spare. You must be running some serious electrical loads in the wing.

Maybe I am missing some previous details but can you use a bigger grommet? I run the Dynon autopilot servo, a magnetometer, and wing lighting and all the wires fit with room to spare. You must be running some serious electrical loads in the wing.

Nope. Same as you describe. Landing light, strobe, servo, magnetometer. I separated my heated pitot and extra landing light from the harness I bought from Van's. The harness is stock OEM. Barely fits inside the 5/8" grommets. Might have to file out the receptacles to accept 3/4" grommets. With the white shrink wrap around the harness, it is impossible to get the harness into the grommets. I have to strip the shrink wrap away, insert the sliced grommet over the wires, then maneuver the grommet into the receptacle.

A Secret That Worked

I found a trick.

Trim away enough shrink tube so grommet will be less SNUG around wires. Beolube on the grommet. Hemostat to squeeze the grommet closed and hold it while pushing into receptacle. VERY tight fit and would be MUCH MUCH easier before the floor is attached! Maybe I missed that instruction in the plans.:rolleyes:

Starboard Grommet Fit.jpg

Port Grommet Fit.jpg

Doc,

I had the same issue. Wires absolutely and positively would not fit though the snap bushing without undue strain. Thought about it for a couple of days and made a device that would allow me to up size the bushing hole with a step bit.

The trick was to get the step bit though the hole without bending destroying the bracket. Went up one size on the bushing, deburred, and the bushing snapped right in. The wires went though and look very nice and have no strain. Pic of the simple contraption below.

Note: the idea was just to be able to keep the bracket from bending when the bit went though. I just needed something to grab to steady the bracket.

If you want more info, send me a PM and I'll send you a 5 sec video that shows how it works.

Last edited:
Back