What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive fuel sensors not working correctly anymore

I have a little over 200hrs on the original Princeton capacitive senders in my RV-7. I have been very happy with there accuracy and the fuel level readings were fairly close compared to red cube until just recently. Now, consistently on the last few tank fill ups, the readings will go back up to 21gal per tank when fuel is added, but don't go down very much as fuel is used, e.g. only a decrease of 1 gallon is shown (either tank) when several gallons have actually been used from a tank. I was getting ready to recalibrate, but both tanks act the same way so I was thinking it may be more of a system issue/software since both tanks started doing this? Has anybody else had similar issue and what fixed it? I’m using the complete Garmin G3X touch suite of avionics and engine monitor.
I believe these were the 5pt Princeton capacitive sensors from memory.. Again, they were working fine until recently and I can't tie this event to anything else that has changed. I use only 100LL. Thanks in advance for any ideas or your experience.

I have the same system and have recalibrated my tanks 4 times. Right now my rat tank shows 96 gal remaining and left at 8.

My red cube is accurate to a tenth of a gallon between fillips. I’m getting ready for my check ride for my license so I will try again. It is hard enough finding someone to check me out for my license in my plane, they are going to want to see the fuel tank calibrated! If you figure it out, let me know how you did it.

Back