What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Career starting now.

AV8ER

Well Known Member
I've been thinking about a career change and decided to take the plunge and get the training and (500) hours I need to get an ATP so I can get a job flying professionally for an air carrier.

Prior to this 2.5 hour paintbrush flight (no gps waypoints or breadcrumbs btw) I had 994.7 hours of PPL with instrument flying. Currently working on the book work and flying for a single commercial ticket.

Any advice you have is appreciated towards a job at one of the big carriers.

AL9nZEX8DY7PTAQ3f5QOuqTvfTv-JQxB1YH1K_9ma-kuDmT60an2Y_MFnsDE2sKjUIfHo7mk6XXkzRH-P87SXrjxW3jfgmhI4bkoBki0o8otov9Tf9Amr_yFS-I5a1EFvxFOYjxMUR_4NKo86zi4GISZAhyvTw=w671-h473

[ed. Looks good! Tim, there is a CAE outfit in Orlando. I would suggest considering applying for the SCM program (part time seat filler - 'Supporting Crew Member'). At least for me it was a really fast way to log nearly 1000 hours of (simulated) jet multi time in my spare time (got paid $10/hr to do it - paid for my gas and lunch). Level D simulator time counts the same as actual time in your logbook in regards to hiring qualifications and insurance. 100 sessions gets you a type. 200 gets you another. I got my types in both the Phenom 300 and Gulfstream G-V. And I've had a dozen corporate full-time offers (I like running VAF too much to do that).

My G-V checkride in the sim was also my ATP check. You wanna be bored while thinking about lunch while doing a single engine go around at night in the simulated sh*t? Work at the sim for a bit. <g> You'll get good and most times will be way out in front of the client mentally.

When I interviewed they told me they needed help in the phenom 300 program. I told them that sounds fine and I'd be happy to do it. Afterwards I went out to my car and googled “what is a phenom 300”. You learn a lot doing this sim support, it doesn't cost you, and you become proficient at it.

v/r,
brandlogo.jpg

PS: They've recently changed their website up so you may have to dig a little bit for their SCM program information.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim

This is a great time to be moving towards the airline industry. Keep in mind that in order to land a job at a major, you'll need more than the ATP and minimum hours.

Think in terms of useful experience that reflects your ability to fly as a crew, make critical decisions and act as PIC in a multi engine environment. Along with that, a 4 year college degree of some sort (although that requirement is currently changing) and a well rounded background (community service, hobbies etc.). The big carriers also like to see professional involvement, like being a member/OIC of a safety committee, union rep, etc ... CRM and any other type of advanced crew training/instructing are also a big bonus.

I see guys coming to my workplace with all of the above and a Masters degree, and a few working on more advanced degrees. Many are less than 30 yo and have quite impressive resumes. And the gals are in the fight too!

While you work on hours/tickets, start looking at all the forums and groups that cater to your situation. There are also some programs with airlines that offer jobs at their regional ops with a guaranteed option to move up in time. Aviate is one of those.

Then there's the whole thing about keeping your nose clean for the next XX years and avoiding doing anything dumb in a plane ...

This sounds like a lot to tackle, but keep your head down and move along. It's part of the test!

Cheers

…and

“…Then there's the whole thing about keeping your nose clean for the next XX years and avoiding doing anything dumb in a plane ...”

Or a car, or a party, or on Facebook, or…you get the idea.

Get your time in and apply at a regional, they are screaming for pilots as their senior pilots move on to the majors…

I just flew with a contract copilot who was making $95 per hour as a new hire in a CRJ. This is an excellent time to make your career move.

Tim,

I did exactly this a couple of years ago as a sort of mid-life crisis so I can relate. If you want to work for a major airline the best route there is from a regional airline, and they are hiring like crazy right now. If you have 1500 hours (and all the experience sub-requirements) with 25 multi you can get hired. Many will even pay to send you to CTP so you can take the ATP written.

Thee are other routes to the majors but outside of the military, regionals are your best shot. Majors prefer folks who have shown they can make it in a 121 environment. Not saying you can’t go from 91 corporate or 135 to a major but it is not as common.

Besides getting your ratings, I’d focus on IFR flying as much as possible. Everything in 121 is IFR and even at the regional level, you are expected to show up day 1 with good instrument skills and knowledge. Flying in the system is good experience, teaching it as a CFII is also very good.

Which regional to chose, which major to target, etc etc are all discussions beyond the scope of this thread and there are other forums for that. Airlinepilotforums.com is a good place to start.

Good luck.

I've been thinking about a career change and decided to take the plunge and get the training and (500) hours I need to get an ATP so I can get a job flying professionally for an air carrier.

Prior to this 2.5 hour paintbrush flight (no gps waypoints or breadcrumbs btw) I had 994.7 hours of PPL with instrument flying. Currently working on the book work and flying for a single commercial ticket.

Any advice you have is appreciated towards a job at one of the big carriers.

AL9nZEX8DY7PTAQ3f5QOuqTvfTv-JQxB1YH1K_9ma-kuDmT60an2Y_MFnsDE2sKjUIfHo7mk6XXkzRH-P87SXrjxW3jfgmhI4bkoBki0o8otov9Tf9Amr_yFS-I5a1EFvxFOYjxMUR_4NKo86zi4GISZAhyvTw=w671-h473

[ed. Looks good! Tim, there is a CAE outfit in Orlando. I would suggest considering applying for the SCM program (part time seat filler - 'Supporting Crew Member'). At least for me it was a really fast way to log nearly 1000 hours of jet multi time in my spare time (got paid $10/hr to do it - paid for my gas and lunch). 100 sessions gets you a type. 200 gets you another. I got my types in both the Phenom 300 and Gulfstream G-V. And I've had a dozen corporate full-time offers (I like running VAF too much to do that).

My G-V checkride in the sim was also my ATP check.

When I interviewed they told me they needed help in the phenom 300 program. I told them that sounds fine and I'd be happy to do it. Afterwards I went out to my car and googled “what is a phenom 300”. You learn a lot doing this sim support, it doesn't cost you, and you become proficient at it.

v/r,
brandlogo.jpg

PS: They've recently changed their website up so you may have to dig a little bit for their SCM program information.]

https://cae.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/career/job/Orlando/Supporting-Crew-Member_85864

My advice? SLOW DOWN! You are already flying like a rich airline pilot with those normal cruise speeds, and associated fuel burn. :D

Build your time at 125 mph, or so, which is probably closer to max endurance. You need hours on your resume, not distance. And I double the suggestion of lots of IFR flying. The controllers in your neck of the woods are used to flights with lots of practice approaches.

Get some hours and apply to an intermediate job on your way to a regional. Don’t slow down to get more hours, get paid to fly. Then get to 1500 hrs and get into a regional. Once there everyone you work will give you advice on how to make it to a major. I was military but I mostly fly with guys who were not and I’m always surprised by all the different ways they built time.

Look at small cargo, banner towing, pipeline inspecting, tour flying, corporate, even instructing.

Last edited:
3 most common things said at SkyWest when a crew meets:
-What's your name?
-Do you want the first leg?
-When's your class date? (at a major airline)

Go ahead and contact Skywest right now, tell them what's going on. Worst case they tell you to call back in 6 months. Best case- they tell you to drop everything, go to this school, and we'll have a class for you in February 2023.

Good luck, and go reread Fate is the Hunter.

Thanks All for the insight. Keep it coming.

Thanks Doug. I am churning away at their SCM qualifications with vigilance:

Req Qualifications:
· Commercial Pilot or Airline Transport Pilot certificate
· Airplane Multi-Engine Land (MEL)
· Instrument rating airplane multi-engine land, with 50 hours of multi-engine and instrument experience
· 400 hours Total Time (100 hours of turbine, preferred)
· Available for a minimum of 35 events in a 12-month period to stay current and receive recurrent training
· Must live within the Orlando area
· Must be able to commit 10-15 days of work a month
· Scheduling is at a minimum of 5 hours at a time and could be scheduled 24/7

Tim

Think in terms of useful experience that reflects your ability to fly as a crew, make critical decisions and act as PIC in a multi engine environment. Along with that, a 4 year college degree of some sort (although that requirement is currently changing) and a well rounded background (community service, hobbies etc.). The big carriers also like to see professional involvement, like being a member/OIC of a safety committee, union rep, etc ... CRM and any other type of advanced crew training/instructing are also a big bonus.
snip

Cheers

Thanks for this insight Bill. I am hearing this from others at the big carriers as well.

Tim,

I did exactly this a couple of years ago as a sort of mid-life crisis so I can relate. If you want to work for a major airline the best route there is from a regional airline, and they are hiring like crazy right now. If you have 1500 hours (and all the experience sub-requirements) with 25 multi you can get hired. Many will even pay to send you to CTP so you can take the ATP written.

Thee are other routes to the majors but outside of the military, regionals are your best shot. Majors prefer folks who have shown they can make it in a 121 environment. Not saying you can’t go from 91 corporate or 135 to a major but it is not as common.

Besides getting your ratings, I’d focus on IFR flying as much as possible. Everything in 121 is IFR and even at the regional level, you are expected to show up day 1 with good instrument skills and knowledge. Flying in the system is good experience, teaching it as a CFII is also very good.
snip

Good luck.

Thanks Jeff. Ever since getting the IFR ticket I have been filing for any flight over 50 miles. I'll keep doing this but seems prudent to make all my training flights on an IFR plan too (outside of maneuver practice).

Thanks Jim for finding that link.

Build your time at 125 mph, or so, which is probably closer to max endurance. You need hours on your resume, not distance. And I double the suggestion of lots of IFR flying. The controllers in your neck of the woods are used to flights with lots of practice approaches.

Spent a few hours last night in the RV-10's 23% econo cruise / about 85 knots burning 6.6 gph. The nose is so high in the air the forward visibility is more like what Lindbergh had. I agree the controllers are nice around Orlando. Yesterday they happened to be in a good mood and gave me a practice approach into KMCO.

Get some hours and apply to an intermediate job on your way to a regional. Don’t slow down to get more hours, get paid to fly. Then get to 1500 hrs and get into a regional. Once there everyone you work will give you advice on how to make it to a major. I was military but I mostly fly with guys who were not and I’m always surprised by all the different ways they built time.

Look at small cargo, banner towing, pipeline inspecting, tour flying, corporate, even instructing.

Thanks Nohoflyer. I started looking into 135 operations. Looks like with 1200 hours I can fly PIC in a Caravan filled with boxes. Not sure if 1000 hours as PIC as a Caravan driver would be a way to get closer to the airlines outside a regional? Having a job that paid me to fly and log hours would be good but I wonder if it would shorten my time at a regional en route to an airline?

The current plan is to fly the 500 hours I need to hit 1500 on my own dime in the next 6 months while getting the Commercial Single and Multi boxes checked. I should be able to squeeze in a few more Young Eagles and possibly move some dogs around the country too during those hours.

Does a regional care about where you flew the time? Is there a bonus for flying boxes in a Caravan or for any other 135 operator? Or do the regionals only care about 1500 hours?

Go ahead and contact Skywest right now, tell them what's going on. Worst case they tell you to call back in 6 months. Best case- they tell you to drop everything, go to this school, and we'll have a class for you in February 2023.

Interesting point Steve. It seems there are a fair number of 135 jobs one can get with 1000-1200 hours. I hadn't considered that there may be a training program like that.

Close to a half century ago, I got my ATP in a Cherokee (single engine ATP) to get my application to stand out since the airlines hadn't hired for several years and I was approaching hire by (or not - 30 years old at the time) date. Passed the written and hired the Cherokee for a few hours to practice before the checkride. I think it helped my application stand out. You may find that it makes you more competitive for a better starting position.

Does a regional care about where you flew the time? Is there a bonus for flying boxes in a Caravan or for any other 135 operator? Or do the regionals only care about 1500 hours?

The regionals are hemorrhaging pilots because the majors are hiring like never before. At 1500 hours you’ll most likely be able to pick which one, as I’d expect all of them to be interviewing you. They’re actually getting people into class with a bit less than 1500 hours, as level D sims count towards total time. Many have (or recently had) significant signing bonuses as well. It’s a remarkable time we’re in.

Any 135 time will make regional training easier. The more legs, the better. The more hand flying you do, the better. There’s been a slow decline in hand flying skills over the last decade or so, and I firmly believe it’s because pilots are no longer flying auto parts and cancelled checks around with no autopilot in beat up old Barons, Aerostars and 310s (and tons of other similar jobs). Those guys (and gals) were GOOD. Crappy jobs for sure, but they produced some exceptional pilots. Even the turboprops required some skills, as the autopilots were merely ok - you still had to hand fly a lot, as well as most approaches.

But those jobs are mostly gone now, and that’s where pilots developed some really good flying skills, risk and workload management, and SA. Now, pilots jump from instructing straight into the right seat of an RJ with auto throttles, VNAV, really good autopilots and a second crew member. Flying skills are atrophying (or simply not developing) as a result.

Even a few hundred hours in a Caravan will make you a better pilot. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but 135 flying isn’t THAT much different from 121, and you’ll be much more familiar with how a scheduled airline works when you show up to Basic Indoc at any regional. Plus, you’re getting paid (albeit just barely), and not putting time on your plane. You will someday look fondly upon your time ‘slumming’ it 8 legs a day in a Caravan/Kodiak/1900.

It’s an incredible time for pilot hiring. Now’s as good a time as I’ve ever seen it for those wanting to make the jump. It’s an incredible job (though it can be a challenging career), and I’m so fortunate to be one of the lucky ones who loves going to work each day.

In todays market, the regionals don’t care where you got your time. I flew a Caravan for 1500 hours before I got to the regionals, and it was awesome!! Later, it was good to check the “1,500 Turbine PIC” box. Some majors want Turbine PIC (single or multi) and the caravan was an easy way to get there. Twin turbine PIC is better, and Jet PIC is better yet. The wholly grail of flight time seems to be Multi JET part 121 PIC, but even the majors are hiring regional co-pilots right out of the right seat!

They don't care at all... providing that you show up with acceptable IFR skills. My sim partner got 1500 towing banners in a Super Cub and he did just fine.

Getting hired at a regional will not be a problem providing that you meet the ATP minimums. Getting through their training program is another matter, and that is where you need good IFR skills and good study habits. This is particularly true if there are a couple decades or more of daylight between you and your college experience.

With a commercial ticket, 500 hrs TT & 25 hrs ME you can start tomorrow at the aerial survey outfits flying Aztecs or Navajos. Quick time building.
If you need a referral, let me know.

George

Update

I logged 97.1 hours in the first (30) days after deciding to head the ATP route. This month will focus on the commercial written and the twin/commercial ticket.

1091.2 hours and counting.

United's FNG class this week:
Oldest 55, retired FBI agent
Youngest: 23
Class size: 65.
Next week's class: 70.

New hires are going directly into the 787.
Ramping up for 100/week soon.

Anyone up for a career change?

Speaking of, look into United's Aviate program. I don't know the specifics, but they seem to have a couple of different career paths depending on your experience

Careers ?

I’ve been with the premier fractional provider for the last 21 years and it’s been really good. They are hiring as well these days. Worth considering as well. Pm me if you wish.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

My company just announced a Vacancy Bid this morning. Great time to be a FNG if you're thinking about a career change. I was just at our training center for recurrent, we're running 70/week, ramping up for 100/week. Youngest was 24 (I have airshow t-shirts older than him!), Oldest gent was 55, he was planning on sitting reserve from home and enjoying his retirement job as an airline pilot. Several other pilots came from other reputable airlines (not South FL bottom feeders) because at their old gig they'd be career 73/Airbus pilots, and they were leaping at the chance to fly widebodies.

But then again, in 3 months something could happen to the economy and you'd be the first one on the street. It's not a career, it's a lottery.

Last edited:
Update

1. I finished the last project at my old (self) employment. As luck (or planning) would have it, the project was inside the gate at an airport. This wrapped out almost 2200 hours on the spider lift. My business is now shut down and all associated equipment is for sale (think Cortez burning his ships). Know anyone looking for a grapple truck? Hahaha. Its full time aviation training moving forward.

2. I logged my first 1.1 in a twin and bought 20 hours in it. A fair number of people call their RV-XX time machines. This Seminole was a time machine too, except this one went back in time filled with steam gauges and 430s.

I was listening to an NPR discussion a few years back talking about research that showed study participants remembered how often they experienced pain/displeasure and not the severity of that displeasure. I figured this makes sense so I bought block time with one check. I felt pain handing it over and now each time I will climb out of the twin it will feel like it was free........ or so I am trying to convince myself.

AL9nZEWCGv6bPRbbgXAb2AdJAEqch-ChGnnJxdzg_Iy5KNpjXvUFYxf2Gd1_iOL7oylGOeCQ33WpJKBuUf0ongnrtqXZ5HrtDuihcAuAvecsDqNdr-IxAnbXh3MAlgeaPnVbcfP7yy0VmESBWeK1K_xPiPK4og=w800-h731

AL9nZEUZ8QbkwnZJwWxxpf3_YvcgpvUduveHIwzob2Hx9Itf3zzo2aGCQRQPHE37hpS0V8xQs_wIu2l2-Kgl14T3WnWJAokfMkgn4uEpu2M13jjbERLLfhVs8cjjH4rPjzbZF4xL_cBHIeD7d6rXDBRSnIIMCA=w800-h731

AL9nZEUGCt-hpL12bKSLd4GHIZZ5hjjy5OM19_5J8y1cTT8qwIu9KtfImiJiT8MVubDXcnQZu3ncFOhHVfkj0f2uH18_atl0Vmv0jgqMOrZBPnMKTNuFcRPFgxfWnDiBkB9GNocHP35c3cNs1J1K7vqtiw7dZw=w800-h731

AL9nZEWexXVft8xtjXDSK1T3j0SQdOp-0Zf1Yw2P1v3eMScvu14zf5MMg2RfG86rYN72kH7JA4Aucst9UyaKv0Ror9gHQzxNcJ6u4gsHxZkBYTJYJrY9x-Vg2yxL8MUYGJhOojXKGWocDqvgMoKU-6yvMgCO7Q=w800-h731

That's awesome, Tim, you could not have picked a better time to chase the dream. Get your resumes out to Skywest, etc., all they can do is say No. But they also might say "Call us when you have XYZ many hours, we've got a class waiting for you."

I wonder how many of this generation have read Fate is the Hunter?

Update

Friday I scored a 96 on the commercial written and scheduled by multi/commercial check ride for October 28th. I currently have 1.1 in a twin.
Accelerating uphill.

1,136.9 TT (have added 142.8 hours from the time I decided to pursue an ATP)

Update

(30) days after passing the commercial written (10/07/22) and,
(1) Flight School
(6) different instructors (only way I could hit my target completion date)
(30.6) multi hours training in Seminole N7719X
and
(2) cancelled check rides due to issues beyond my control

I passed my initial commercial multi this morning. The final landing was 13 gusting 17 and the DPE kindly nudged me to see if I was sure I wanted to continue the test before the final maneuver which was the short field landing (must hit within 100’ of pre determined spot ((+100 and – 0)).

Flew the airplane on Sunday and halfway through the flight the right gear light would not light up. Came in this morning at 7am for the check ride and watched the maintenance guys jack the airplane up and replace one of the switches on the right gear. Was not sure they would have it done before the 3 hour and 15 minute oral portion of the test was complete but luckily they got it done and the flight commenced. The clouds and the wind did not end up being a factor although we did fly through some light rain on the way in for the last landing.

1,201.5 total time
32.3 multi

AL9nZEWVOFm3wNg7E_fHHyxbzR9Wc3FEAteehOvL2KY5KkwvK1WPqr9JkzQK9BLoaYAJ-vwRcj4R7sDras_UVkrDJpJryNuiQ9s31qRGGSATIYo-NoKmQrqeeB2HgjCqDCz0fmSjz7zRGRlTwF81gySvreXlbg=w800-h947

AL9nZEWazlkDn8jiXCV_0CbaMAIsc39XII9fRu61gK_9d92kyCDmIl2lGmMdCWoOF2dG1Zo7BzEOJeejco4XiQoXdnFQjuFhChAuZZTtNgTrP0ks5XGBd9HGRw5XCi8GIvDn4EcGXIk9ef8w4RV3fN-PFs0OBA=w800-h662

AL9nZEXyvew952gbgl_5OenKiJ30B2Phy07L_WFE4oOfqAP2ZIKsSPogHKDfsciatNGaxUlIamdo2-i1Xf7LjX3Lu37PPpQR5SZTg5kp9olX36Rl3_xdsmLjJw0cjky5inGHMCFMYZ-nSd06vWEqJAWmjg5mhw=w800-h947

AL9nZEWunWRc-Lg-NBwAsJMajLyAs31BicqXPR3ayNwJyjxdcf1iz1y8GGgDF4yPI6qE22KI1uMsFQv3EXJxXfI3n-yTsSKK3zL46L7zLfiQsQ5mZ0O_HJqHBa9q7zSKvJ7A2s5szGk2qtCNMBvsoyCXNgy8XQ=w800-h947

Friday I scored a 96 on the commercial written and scheduled by multi/commercial check ride for October 28th. I currently have 1.1 in a twin.
Accelerating uphill.

1,136.9 TT (have added 142.8 hours from the time I decided to pursue an ATP)

Congrats on all the progress. I'm amazed you booked a checkride 3 weeks out. DPE's in my area are booking for Feb/Mar already, but might be able to "squeeze me in" in january...

Update

ATP-CTP class scheduled for the end of the month.

1,325.4 TT
98.7 IMC (actual) and 58.2 (simulated)
894.4 Cross-country
396.2 night
168 approaches

Had to take some time off to assist with the wife and her career. Back on track logging big chunks of time criss crossing the US.

I new I recognized that tail number.. the plane I soloed in back 1993

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-213453.png
    Screenshot_20230131-213453.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I hope you’re doing well. Congratulations on your multi engine check ride! I would like to learn some more about your multi engine training at D&J. Would you mind contacting me please. I sent you a PM. I also tried to contact you via your website contact form and phone number, but no joy. Thank you! Jerry Esquenazi.

ATP-CTP done and ATM Written Passed (98%)

I decided it was time to get the written out of the way so I spent the better part of February preparing for the ATM written.

Reviewing the ATP-CTP course provider options I figured it best best to take the ATP-CTP course away from home and stay in a hotel room disconnected from the world. I chose ATP-Jets in Dallas to complete the ATP-CTP course, and take the ATM written. All went to plan and I scored a 98% on the written.

AMWts8BAfCobT2xGGE3gVft45sjjMTymsZZ_BK_1vOLGQKLLx1xAfi6O2ej7cy0x55dfDfWGGtXcb3McTXH5t2b9M3U8xlmnEyKWR4-GT4A2zxpS2jOBjHR0FP8PLa3A5oKgVM6WZ6_X892-bHkIIuXMuSGUpQ=w800-h947

AMWts8AYh7LLD2iEkh8wskbTqTk2Q91dm_AWCQwycf1blocITIj4bHbirMJhg0gL9YqCzYbT7Pl-5KXifRIKkU2fpFnMX-GP3MPxMeoBpQlo4tSylZnT-t3XoDGT4lTzEU9o22zCt4aKyd7fRrLQIBj_5A_X0g=w800-h947

AMWts8Dx4xz9YNb7-28CISQTw-tLKiOwQue9Xhy7mUnWroc2iTE5L9hVztDtQjxTkc621ubrNaouSjJzx6aySrSFNaBXSSvccumuTFOjns_k6RiX9kM5sLCY55qrfz-BvIbBfsQSbk-kCVrbliSuFUHj8Awn5g=w800-h947

Crossed 1400 hours.

Flew 51 hours last week to include 4.5 IMC, 6 approaches (KLEE, 79J, KNEW and X04). That takes me to 1,410.5 hours! Instead of counting the hours up, I'm counting the hours down. T-minus 89.5 hours.

AMWts8AAALvFOtEblCFwKN3JTOxhawEK_EzpKbDseWR_wvx9kig83-0huNSuVj_zdhXbg-VVg9bZ1In_ucumMHRlDw0CNOcU_6NZ804dmUJnxu0QtMdNdqGKvMjUPDerDFbsQCgy_RnD2Hwbku-HaDsnu94hJA=w800-h677

Lance and I as I crossed the 1,400 hour milestone.

Last edited:
Tim - keep plugging away you are very close. In you “spare time” start cranking out those applications.

Reminder - those sun visors are not original equipment and not approved by the manufacturer. I suspect however Karrie is the deciding vote….

Carl

Flew 51 hours last week to include 4.5 IMC, 6 approaches (KLEE, 79J, KNEW and X04). That takes me to 1,410.5 hours! Instead of counting the hours up, I'm counting the hours down. T-minus 89.5 hours.

AMWts8AAALvFOtEblCFwKN3JTOxhawEK_EzpKbDseWR_wvx9kig83-0huNSuVj_zdhXbg-VVg9bZ1In_ucumMHRlDw0CNOcU_6NZ804dmUJnxu0QtMdNdqGKvMjUPDerDFbsQCgy_RnD2Hwbku-HaDsnu94hJA=w800-h677

So close...

Keep it up! You're almost there.

I'm curious about that additional mic in the picture, what is that for?

Reminder - those sun visors are not original equipment and not approved by the manufacturer. I suspect however Karrie is the deciding vote….

Carl

It didn't take me long to figure out that passenger "comfort" is paramount to having (and keeping) passengers! Karrie gets what Karrie wants. I gave her the headset right of my head too and bought another one when she 'wondered what my headset was like'.

So close...

Keep it up! You're almost there.

Only another 750 gallons of avgas to burn! Its nice to be counting down instead of up!!! I am still hopeful to make it to AK and catch up with your trip for a short while.

I'm curious about that additional mic in the picture, what is that for?

Its actually a light. One of my better upgrades to night flying next to a pair of Flyleds "The Works" kit. https://n7zk.com/build-log/sweet-headlamp-replacement-flitelite/

Congrats on the written, that’s a big hurdle out of the way.

In your shoes I’d be getting my apps in right now at whatever regionals you might be targeting. Some of them are throttling back on new FO hiring but a few are still hiring quickly. You want to be in class gaining seniority as soon as you can.

If you haven’t already, start slumming over on APC, but take them with a grain of salt. If you read long enough you’ll learn that every single regional is a dumpster fire one step from bankruptcy. And yet every one of them has plenty of pilots who are perfectly happy but don’t post much.

I’m not aware of any regionals that have a MCO base so you’re looking at commuting but you can get a lot of places nonstop from MCO which helps.

Throttling

They are slowing the FO hiring because they don’t have enough captains, not because they don’t need pilots. Several companies are now forcing the upgrade when qualified…

They are slowing the FO hiring because they don’t have enough captains, not because they don’t need pilots. Several companies are now forcing the upgrade when qualified…
No doubt, but the fact is they are doing it, at least some of them and at least for the time being. Some are forcing upgrades while still hiring and stockpiling FOs at full throttle. Time will tell which approach was the better one.

Who knows where we’ll be in 6 months.

Update: 1500 hours in the log book!

While closing in on the 1,500 hour mark I decided that Skyscraper had earned the right to be the airplane to carry me over the mark. I could have let a rental twin hold the place in my history but decided to take N7ZK around Central Florida on my last "flight to no-where". I crossed 1,500 total time and 1,000 in N7ZK on the same flight. What an airplane.

The "1,500" skywriting took two hours to draw and the "N7ZK" took an hour. The clouds kept building and tops raising. Even at 17,500 my canvas was getting small as the day wore on so I had to adjust and make the N7ZK smaller to keep my flight VFR. No GPS way points, only a timer, autopilot in track mode, and 50 degree bank hand-flown turns.

8/6/22 to 4/26/23
452 hours in N7ZK with a 10 week stoppage in play, 48.1 hours in a few twins (2 Seminoles and a Twin Comanche), a few hours in a Cherokee, 0.9 in an RV-8, 1.0 in a Sonex, commercial written, initial commercial multi checkride, ATP-CTP, and ATM written completed. Wrenches turned: failed alternator in flight (smoke smell in cockpit from failed switch), mag and p-mag swaps/overhauls, broken brake line on the left main, (2) blown tires, failed cowl hinge, all the usual maintenance a loved airplane gets, and oil changes as close to 25 hours as my trips would allow.

AJFCJaU7oVz52RWnsLRizdRZTU6jHCTZ2kqEsE8CrhuuMi12sVHQw4uAPzOl9C9uhPDq_NJscc5XAsDFBJaTB20meZ8LPjxgYe5UjFENkDYosl99OObMijAysGkkIPPrSf0FYJWROHZ-dNEFVM8yXV94z6Zb7Q=w800-h890

AJFCJaWNktBkr1Dm1rouaTc684RxAvvyxPF4s5WeShUtWFs_TVw9G9gTE3c_WqE7NuFyfIMr_dsP7QD2ocEBPlwQhd15VaDQI8TkSHOK8AEIlh3MQlQ0_LJe72xIH3VZIRos5IfvVqtSENdleYI85dDmoXT3Wg=w800-h890

AJFCJaUVxJaySC6CkKs8jhVLgQwLuP3YdZYJ--LBOs_4AF3DIisVqrkbKbo9TVz-QiEl2HLJ2-aDkDTT0PwcVL-Pp9yBq2mcUFVcVXLDg7PvzKtJlRN7MUbevZ3V9l-9iPBJfTT3mXNCVxCHY9C5UjBvKB5A9g=w800-h620

AJFCJaWbsByLBtRxUqB4kH1rvDZJd_IQX1K8JF8CA17Z6vz2TMg2CGQ1W3TeL1SmcpTzrStjhRjuN8NFvJsEfUok5_qDqkaKaZAbQgONqdAANlmEBRv9pojblXVWlemXNcA-37vYOPgmulNmLr5NEbFncGaL8w=w800-h890

At the 1,500 hour mark!

Congrats! Been fun watching your progress. Did you start sending applications out yet? I have been hearing people getting offers before they even get to the 1,500 cause they need pilots so badly. Best of luck!

NetJets Offer Accepted!

I never would have guessed that in 2018 when I entered the RV world it would have the type of life changing impact it has had on me and my family. On a skin deep level when we got the RV-10, it took me from passion filled hobbyist flying a Cherokee and gave me the capability and capacity to traverse the country with my family. It revolutionized the way my family and I travel. Oshkosh and Sun N Fun and Triple Tree and Arcadia, the list of camping places the kids attend every year is astounding. The old adage “come for the (insert event name here) and come back for the people” is so true. This is the part that I saw coming.

What I did not see coming was the exposure to passion filled folks who call aviation a career and still fly for fun on their time off. With those folks as my inspiration, I decided to pursue a career in aviation some months back with the culmination of an application to NetJets.

After lots of input, thought, discussion, idea bouncing, and more deliberation my wife and I decided that NetJets was the right company for our family. After submitting an application through their website I interviewed with them over Microsoft Teams, got invited to Columbus for an in-person interview, flew their Sovereign sim, met some nice folks, and (6) days later got a phone call followed by an offer letter!

Thanks to all those on this thread and elsewhere who have contributed to my journey in aviation. It is true that we stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us.

AJFCJaUyg9Sr-dOpCtu5Y4DUbJ069XmaPvx8MvLFpSmCSz34qCOo2EXtTscm32ejjh3xxKcubudwYdOUU93-zwzybkOmAJvu9USrYfuVcyeWlxlnLHDaVTiur-hcSnGGkO0Tues5ytaiRZ5Wk-1m4u3LANBSzg=w800-h754

Practicing call outs in the hotel with John and my sim partner James (not pictured) night prior to sim session.

AJFCJaVBT8KuPF6l20D2gN1nTJNDqoXCqucAtBr-LvpMy-BnlHWKU27AUvYuZ1sED2yzMIWMcHc9ET-R88rA5Js7OwsuJF-qTUOzhtONNC6xf97GTYL7S-7zw8mF6R5_6QPM75JZeRuya_XJYhewCHwPUjEzNA=w800-h754

Sovereign Sim we got assigned.

AJFCJaVfb-oyXGFyz73sAVksyzKf_woz13z7f1wyINwx04XrbuG02lVJmNRD0nHiLXw3oT8ms8l5MEq09_tWqV58sIIASCxGhiYBKWwpWAA-AiVtQbtwevjz8rnqq7eMLGA2r69ft8_lNPPC_jRj9PUyTRcn6A=w800-h754

So happy to have nailed the sim flight!

AJFCJaWuMp1vgduKkzRNo5lxVc0NEUSEJmTH2sG5ogBzd-fU9BnyML5QtKgNGyXU5_14m1oQga31eZLM_StUpHBRlxtOmYCTsQA-Y_iSPFCrMRpI7JjUcMeexv15ZxIziRgxt1LP5LnUgNlDZEonpRsBr3heDw=w800-h170-s-

Tim, that is great news. You will get lots of flying with them. ASE is an interesting place to fly into. NetJets is in there all the time! Best of luck with your new job.

Congrats. I applied and interviewed at netjets back in 2004. It was a bad time to get a job anywhere. Ended up at an airline but I always thought corporate would be fun.

Enjoy the ride. It ain’t over yet.

Back