What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reuse inner tubes?

bob888

Well Known Member
I have some uneven tire wear and want to flip the tires to prolong their life. What are the cons of reusing the inner tubes; pros are obviously cost savings.

I have flipped my main tires together with their tubes on their respective wheels to even out tire wear with no issues. I don't even remove the tubes from the tires. Then, after a similar number of hours, swap the wheel/tire combinations from side to side. This does a pretty good job of evening out wear.

This has been discussed quite a bit -- but that's not to bash you for doing so again, more to say that based on my reading of those threads, I'd be comfortable re-using tubes once or even a few times. In my 22 years with this plane I've always changed tubes with tires, but after reading of others' experiences here it sure seems to be rare for tubes to go. In fact my current "air stop" tube on the right side tends to slooowly leak down so the next time I change tires I'll be swapping back in the previous tube, which held the air just fine.
The key is to use plenty of talc and otherwise properly install so there aren't creases etc.

Last edited:
Back