What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First time Flying to OSH

Steve Watkins

I'll be flying my RV-8 from the Los Angeles area to Oshkosh for the first time this year. I'll be starting on Thursday the 21st and trying to get to within about an hour flight of Osh by Friday evening and then arrive on Saturday morning. Taking the southern route along I10 into TX then north toward OK city and up to Osh. I would love to meet up with others along the way for mutual support and to meet more RV pilots. Let me know if you are headed that way on those days and we can meet up. I have a 4-ship FAST card and very comfortable in formation. My plane will be on display all week in the "Victory Girl" booth #458. I'll be departing Osh on Monday the 1st for the trip home.
Steve
909-two44-4two58
thumbnail.jpg

beware the mass arrivals on Saturday

Nice photo Steve !!
Consider the mass arrivals on Saturday.
You might want to avoid those.
Check out the schedule here

OSH Mass Arrivals....

Nice photo Steve !!
Consider the mass arrivals on Saturday.
You might want to avoid those.
Check out the schedule here

I agree: GREAT picture. Looking forward to seeing your bird in person.

The mass arrivals can be a PITA but there is ample time between those arrivals to squeeze in. They usually land them on 18/36 (mostly 18)and they may be landing other arrivals on 9/27. Good advice to avoid the times listed:
8 a.m.: Cirrus: more every year
10 a.m.: Piper Cherokees: not as many as the next two.
11:30 a.m.: Mooneys: second largest arrival
1 p.m.: Beechcraft Bonanzas: largest number of airplanes.
2:30 p.m.: Cessnas: should not take any more than 30 minutes

If you get there when the arrivals are still landing, you may be circling Green Lake or other holding area for a while. Be fuel-aware. Enjoy your trip!

I'll be flying my RV-8 from the Los Angeles area to Oshkosh for the first time this year.
--- snip ---
My plane will be on display all week in the "Victory Girl" booth #458. I'll be departing Osh on Monday the 1st for the trip home.
Steve
909-two44-4two58
View attachment 28141

Tell the twins Terri and Jerri that I said hello. I will try to look them up when I am at OSH. I remember them from when I was based at CCB before retirement.

Steve, leaving Thursday you can easily make it into OSH on Friday and miss the Saturday mass arrival nonsense.

From the LA area, why take the southern route along I10? Unless you have somewhere to go along that route, I would do I40 or even I80 route. I can give you my favorite routes if you wanted them. But I10 is really out of the way. Don’t do I70, that’s the only one I wouldn’t recommend..

I'll be departing from Ramona most likely Saturday morning and will aim for Iowa for the night. Depending on the weather, of course. Good fuel stops (usually the cheapest prices) are St. Johns, AZ then Dalhart, TX.
Last year we had to bypass AZ and NM due to embedded storms. Went over the Grand Canyon to Kanab, UT, then on up towards Rawlins, WY and into Nebraska. Don't get set on any particular route, and have several backup routings and fuel stops.

In 2017, we landed at Oshkosh runway 27, got right off into the grass and then had to wait about 30 minutes as 53 Mooneys from their mass arrival taxied up from runway 36 into the North 40 GA camping. I think that is about as hot as I've ever seen my engine get sitting on the ground. Definitely avoid the mass arrivals. Last year we got stuck behind a mass arrival of Ercoupes who could barely do the 90 Knots up to Ripon.

OSH

Myself an two others will be departing Washington state on Thursday as well. We will be taking the northern route. Will keep an eye out for you:D

Good place to stay close to KOSH

KPDC is a great little spot within an hour of OSH.
Air conditioned terminal building with 24 hr access
Quick walk into town

Blast off in the am for a quick early morning OSH arrival. Simple

Back