What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps

My project is getting real close to being ready to go. Condition inspection and paint is really all that is left to do. My question to you flyers is regarding flap usage. On my zenith 701 I tend to use 1/2 flaps for landing but play around with all my options,it just depends on the day. I fly out of a 2500 gravel strip with trees at both ends. What is everyone using for flap configuration on landing. Just trying to get as much info as possible before I fly it for the first time.

My RV3 has electric flaps (From an RV6) which end up extending about 55 degrees... so I always use partial flaps. I've done it with full flaps to confirm it is controllable, but its not as easy or as smooth. Tends to bleed speed very very quickly. The MT CS prop out front doesn't help either.

I have marks at 35 degrees which is extremely comfortable in both three point and wheel landings. I use the same configuration in windy conditions as well.

Our RV-3 flaps are full at about 35 degrees if I recall correctly (might be 40, but I’m not with the airplane right now). We use full flaps for all normal landings - maybe less if the cross-wind is extreme. I see little point in putting the flaps down a little at a time on each pattern leg - full flaps at low key is the general rule for us.

No flaps for normal take-off…the airplane accelerates so quickly with an IO-320 and C/S Whirlwind prop that you’d overspeed them in a heartbeat.

RV-3 flap use

My favorite RV-3 pilot and I were just talking about this last night. His flaps are 3 notches (? 15,20,40) and he uses no flaps for departure and no more than two on arrival as he doesn't notice that much change in the nose-down pitch or stall with the last notch.

We decided the tandem airplanes may respond differently. I use one notch on departure, slowly pulling them up soon after breaking ground. Arrival: I use one notch once in the pattern and click the next (and last) notch on final. I notice a difference in nose-down pitch with the last notch and we decided it may be different in the (longer) tandem aircraft that also has more wing area.

Everyone is different in their approach to departure and landing. You will develop what works for you and your particular aircraft and field conditions. Flying into your gravel strip, you will want the majority of your weight on the wings (using flaps: increased lift) rather than the gear. It is against some teaching but pull your flaps up soon after touchdown to avoid gravel being thrown up into your flaps by your landing gear. (That is considered taboo: don't do anything until you clear the runway. You may accidently retract the gear instead. Um.......not an issue with your -3:D) Suggestion: once you have finished, fly a lot and determine what works for you. You will find your airplane to be slippery and slowing down before you are on downwind is much better than blowing into the pattern at 150 kts, as I saw an airplane (Cirrus) do yesterday. Plan ahead. Stay at least two steps ahead of your airplane! IMHO; YMMV

I use full flaps on landing, even in a high crosswind. I occasionally practice zero flap landings for proficiency purposes, but haven’t found real world use for them.

I don’t use the half flap setting on normal landings. I go straight from 0 to full.

99%+ I do zero flap takeoffs. I occasionally use half flaps on takeoff if I want a shorter ground roll. I am not convinced the takeoff flap helps in obstacle clearance.

Back