What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landoll balancer question

there was a thread a week or two back concerning a group buy of Landoll balancers, and rebuilding old ones. I can't find that thread any where in the archives. I have a balancer on my -4 that has 1900hrs and 19 years on it. Would like to talk to that shop about an overhaul. Would appreciate any contact information.
Thanks.

Not positive, but user Stewbronco here on VAF was trying to find someone to manufacture them. Maybe send him a PM

Are there any detailed drawings available for these? I need one myself. I could make these for others too if knew more about them. What inside of them?

strange how this whole tread disappeared. Tried to search about a 100 different combinations of Landoll with no luck. Even tried on goggle. No doubt Mark Zuckerberg is trying to cancel me.

Balancer

strange how this whole tread disappeared. Tried to search about a 100 different combinations of Landoll with no luck. Even tried on goggle. No doubt Mark Zuckerberg is trying to cancel me.

Well, I thought it was just me! I have been looking for that thread for quite a while and just give up in frustration. I have a Landoll and wanted to find out what silicon liquid was inside as mine might need a refill. If you find out anything, please either post or PM me... Maybe the mention of breast implants (the same liquid) got it deleated.....:confused:

Well, I thought it was just me! I have been looking for that thread for quite a while and just give up in frustration. I have a Landoll and wanted to find out what silicon liquid was inside as mine might need a refill. If you find out anything, please either post or PM me... Maybe the mention of breast implants (the same liquid) got it deleated.....:confused:

Everyone is trying to find out the answer to that question too. Nothing against Stewbronco's attempt but he tried to carry on a "Group buy" here on VAF and that is a DR no-no rule. So the post was scrubbed so you won't find it. There was mention of the company that purchased the rights to the Landoll Harmonic dampener but I can not find that reference. It was on a social site so it's buried somewhere.

there was a thread a week or two back concerning a group buy of Landoll balancers, and rebuilding old ones. I can't find that thread any where in the archives. I have a balancer on my -4 that has 1900hrs and 19 years on it. Would like to talk to that shop about an overhaul. Would appreciate any contact information.
Thanks.

I sent you a PM with contact number.

Give it some time

They are VERY busy .....they took a long time to get back to me originally but I feel it was worth the wait . I am going to send my old balancer in for service ASAP as well so I will have an extra serviceable balancer as well as the new one mounted on plane. They are in Salinas Kansas though . Mark LANDOLL is retired in Oklahoma and I might add was very accommodating and helpful .

Last edited:
Thanks Stew. I just heard back from them 10min ago. I will send my 20 yr old /1600+ hour balancer in for a rebuild. They said 2-3 week turnaround, expect $200 ish with shipping.

Stew and Warren, I would like to hear how these perform. What engine and prop are you running? What was the difference you experience with the balancer in place? I am running a O320 with 10:1 pistons and a Catto prop.

Harmonic balancer overhaul

I wonder what they do to "overhaul" these? If there was a source for the silicone fluid inside, could we overhaul them ourselves? We build airplanes, after all.....:p

Harmonic balancers

Stew and Warren, I would like to hear how these perform. What engine and prop are you running? What was the difference you experience with the balancer in place? I am running a O320 with 10:1 pistons and a Catto prop.

I have never run my RV-4 without the balancer so I can only report what it is like with it on. I run a O-320 with a (may he rest in peace in Prop Heaven) BEAUTIFUL Warnke "Almost constant speed" wooden prop. It is a SMOOOOOTH-running engine that likely has some (a lot?) to do with the balancer. Lycoming engines, especially the higher powered ones, have a pretty heavy power impact: large cylinders and only 4 of them (used in RV's) so those impulses are transmitted to whatever is attached to the crankshaft: WHAM every power stroke. If you think about the "flywheel" weight of wood props, it isn't much. Adding anything to that would be of benefit. If you watch your engine stop with your Catto (also a great prop but not as good-looking as a Warnke;)), it will 'SLAM' to a sudden stop: not much to stop the inertia of the moving parts. The balancer helps absorb those impulses and gives weight to the crankshaft as the engine stops: it will smoothly come to a stop. Wouldn't fly without one........ but I know a lot of people who do.....IMHO........

It is also weight forward. I have never run out of forward trim (weight in the back) but know people who have in the tandem RVs. Always, of course, paying attention to weight-and-balance calculations.....:) When I fly solo, the elevator is right in line with the horizontal so it isn't TOO much weight up there......

Last edited:
I’m running a IO 370 and WW GA prop in a RV-8. Engine and prop were very smooth before the Landall. I installed it mainly for CG reasons with the light prop. After a few hrs it runs even a smoother. Not a big difference but it is smoother.

Back