What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

top aileron rivets

Shockwave

Well Known Member
How did those with a 7 or 8 kit rivet on the leading and trailing aileron skins to the spar? I have a few rivets in using the pneumatic squeezer and then a few more with a regular gun and bucking bar but I'm at a point where I can't get the bar on well. I'm thinking maybe a double offset backrivet set might work, but I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Bucking block

I designed a special bucking block. One of my friends cut it out for me on the wire EDM machine at work:
20071120-07-tn.jpg

The square-ish hole in the middle fit onto a 1/2" x 2" x 6 ft steel bar which I slid through the length of the aileron:
20071120-03-tn.jpg

20071120-06-tn.jpg

Sliding the block along from rivet to rivet allowed me to install solid rivets on both the top and bottom surfaces:
20071120-04-tn.jpg

Good luck!

A similar technique that doesn't require wire EDM is to take a square of scrap steel (or a bucking bar) and weld it to a sturdy chunk of steel bar that is long enough to transit the aileron work area. Sorry I don't have a photo.

This worked for me also. Stood aileron assembly on end, spar screwed down to wood uprights at both ends, and wrapped some rag and tape around my wrist to protect both me and the aileron skin.

Used tungsten bucking bar, held parallel to skin.

Attachments

• wings_2021-03-05_01.png
    wings_2021-03-05_01.png
    665.7 KB · Views: 156
I designed a special bucking block. One of my friends cut it out for me on the wire EDM machine at work:

The square-ish hole in the middle fit onto a 1/2" x 2" x 6 ft steel bar which I slid through the length of the aileron:

Sliding the block along from rivet to rivet allowed me to install solid rivets on both the top and bottom surfaces:

Good luck!

Like Vlad says better to have friends than rubles.

I looked at your link - clearly you are enjoying the build journey! I did too :D

Clever indeed - I saw a video of riveting the HS spar on a D3 IIRC and the bucking assy had a slot for alignment over the opposing set rivets, and a spring loaded upward to the bucked rivet, and was pulled (shuttled) across with a string.

It was positioned by pulling until it hit a cleco, then was properly positioned under the bucked rivet, pushed against the spring and set.

The URL has been lost, so if this rings a bell for you please post the URL, it was a super clever idea ( in my mind) and representative of that era of aviation innovation it is a shame to lose.

Last edited:
I’m going to try to manufacture a wood wedge that I can tape to my bar that will look the manufactured one shown above. If that doesn’t work, I will try the vertical positioning. Thanks!

Like Vlad says better to have friends than rubles.

I looked at your link - clearly you are enjoying the build journey! I did too :D

Clever indeed - I saw a video of riveting the HS spar on a D3 IIRC and the bucking assy had a slot for alignment over the opposing set rivets, and a spring loaded upward to the bucked rivet, and was pulled (shuttled) across with a string.

It was positioned by pulling until it hit a cleco, then was properly positioned under the bucked rivet, pushed against the spring and set.

The URL has been lost, so if this rings a bell for you please post the URL, it was a super clever idea ( in my mind) and representative of that era of aviation innovation it is a shame to lose.

This rings a bell from an EAA video I recently saw: https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Hints-for-Homebuilders/Sheet-Metal/2847732484001

Great video. Now where can I buy that device? I’m not smart enough to be able to build that.

Back