What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ziptips wiring runs

Aviator

Well Known Member
Can anyone who has installed Ziptips elite in their -10 advise me on the number and length of wiring they used in their wings to the tips.
Damien says it needs fifteen wires in each wing. Really. I am confused looking at the one diagram they have on their site.
Thanks. Pics would be great as well to see how you have done it.

Can anyone who has installed Ziptips elite in their -10 advise me on the number and length of wiring they used in their wings to the tips.
Damien says it needs fifteen wires in each wing. Really. I am confused looking at the one diagram they have on their site.
Thanks. Pics would be great as well to see how you have done it.

Do you have your tips yet?

I have a set of Ziptips "Premier," I'm not familiar with the "elite" version. I have not installed mine yet. I have two different diagrams. The printed version that came with my tips is labeled "ZipTip III - wiring diagram - RevC" and the digital version I found on their web site is labeled "Zip Tips III Wiring diagram Rev D." They do not appear to be substantially different to me.

That said, I have reviewed the diagram and also have the pigtail connectors in front of me. The left hand one has 10 conductors and the right hand one has 9 conductors. They range from about 20 to 16 gauge.

Per the diagram, one wire needs to be run from tip-to-tip for the built in wig-wag system to work (there is a wig-wag synchro wire that needs to be connected between the tips).

Additionally, one wire needs to be run tip-to-tip for the strobe synchro to work.

Keep in mind that if you are using a VP-X, Vertical Power recommends not using the lights' built-in wig-wag circuit, but using the VP-X wig-wag control instead. That would require one less conductor to be run from tip-to-tip.

The total conductor count to the wings might vary if you were to tie the grounds together and run a single (properly sized) ground out to the tip (probably adviseable rather than using the wing structure for ground return).

But the total conductors, as I understand the diagram, if you were wiring per the diagram and using independent grounds back to a ground bus, would be 9 on the right, 10 on the left (that tenth one on the left is for something called "master-slave select," which I guess chooses the unit that controls the synchronization. Remember this is for the version I have, not necessarily the one you have.

There are a bunch of wires. I ran the wires through a hole I drilled in the side of the plane, roughly opposite the bushings in the wings for the wires. The plans from Aveo tell you what you need, but it is 3 bigger wires for landing lights, taxi lights, and ground, and then 7 or 8 smaller wires for strobes, position, anti-collision, sync, and master/slave control on the sync. I ran the wires forward through the wall of the plane to the panel area on both sides, except the strobe sync wire, which I routed aft and then through the same area as the flap torque tube. For length - roughly a foot from the connection point to the wing, plus wing length, plus a service loop if you want one, plus 4 feet or so through the body to the panel area.

I installed an Aveo taillight, too. Not required, but a three light strobe looks cool. The sync wire was tied together for all three near the flap motor.

I have a bunch of photos and descriptions in my blog (link below) under the lighting sub-category.

I'm using slip-on connectors (I'm thinking about wrapping each with heat shrink tubing for extra security) in the wing root and at the wing tip to allow for wingtip and wing removal. I used sub-d connectors, with heat shrink, for the taillight.

I’d recommend shielded wire as well. Some folks have had some radio noise. The newest versions seem pretty quiet, but always a good idea for strobes at least.

The Wire List for ZipTip Premier

You asked, so here are pics of the wires I installed for my version 3 tips. I did use shielded wire and returned all grounds to my ground block. I don't have any noise issues with all of the avionics running. I'll disclaim that I haven't flown yet...

Left Wing:
Left Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Wig-Wag (not needed if using VP-X or GAD 27)
Strobe Sync
Wig-Wag Sync (not needed if using VP-X or GAD 27)
Master-Slave select

- in the left connector photos, the black and red twisted pair are for my pitot heat in the left wing, and the separate white wire is my discrete from the pitot controller box.

Right Wing:
Right Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Strobe Sync

BTW, the actual peak current loads for each wingtip are:
Landing: 2.51A
Taxi: 1.65A
NAV: .69A
Strobe: 1.52A

Attachments

• 38394416-8C42-4728-8B1D-7419122207AF.jpg
    38394416-8C42-4728-8B1D-7419122207AF.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 196872D4-9C9C-43E1-AAE8-2D7EC6E47557.jpg
    196872D4-9C9C-43E1-AAE8-2D7EC6E47557.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 329
  • 0CE35CA1-8B9D-453D-8871-005980B58606.jpg
    0CE35CA1-8B9D-453D-8871-005980B58606.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Left Wing:
Left Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Strobe Sync
Master-Slave select
rongawer are you using GAD 27? if so, what's your pin out connection to GAD 27? I see in the TB273 connector only 2 Light Power Outputs that I'm planning to use it for Landing and Taxi, but what about the rest (strobe and nav)?

No I do not have a GAD 27, I have a VP-X Pro. My whole point about this is that if you want wig-wag to be speed dependent, then using the GAD 27 or VP-X and connecting Taxi(Recognition) lights to those circuits will enable that.

You can use any other power source for the lights, such as a regular circuit breaker or fuse, and then use a switch to ground the Wig-Wag circuit on the Zip-Tips to turn on W-W.

Last edited:
okay guys I have been doing research and this thread helped me out tremendously as far as wiring goes:)

In addition, I was told using the bob archer COM antenna in zip tips will have issues (even with shielded wires). Aveo engineering confirmed they use a Pulsed power supply. So what other COM antennas have other 10 builders used????

Thanks all

okay guys I have been doing research and this thread helped me out tremendously as far as wiring goes:)

In addition, I was told using the bob archer COM antenna in zip tips will have issues (even with shielded wires). Aveo engineering confirmed they use a Pulsed power supply. So what other COM antennas have other 10 builders used????

Thanks all

COM antennas need vertical polarization so nothing is going to work good in a wingtip no matter which tip you have. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=153969

You asked, so here are pics of the wires I installed for my version 3 tips. I did use shielded wire and returned all grounds to my ground block. I don't have any noise issues with all of the avionics running. I'll disclaim that I haven't flown yet...

Left Wing:
Left Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Strobe Sync
Master-Slave select

- in the left connector photos, the black and red twisted pair are for my pitot heat in the left wing, and the separate white wire is my discrete from the pitot controller box.

Right Wing:
Right Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Strobe Sync

I was a fairly early user of Aveo Zip Tips and was advised by my panel builder (Stein) to not use the VP-X for wig-wag and sync but use Aveo's built in system. Something about the delay firing the units. My current panel builder said the same. (Using Zip Tip Premier) Might not be true with the newest design. Worth checking with Damion. Also used Bob Archer wing tip antenna, VOR reception at 8,000 ft 75 miles or greater. Just a data point. All wiring shielded in the wing. Used the Vans WH-00125 fuselage harness and that does not provide shielding. No noise issues. (If possible, advise using shielded the entire run)

You said not to use VPX…. Same goes with GAD27??? If so then I’ll have to add those wires to separate harness and quick connect them together from each wing half

Thx for the results and VOR advise

GAD 27

You said not to use VPX…. Same goes with GAD27??? If so then I’ll have to add those wires to separate harness and quick connect them together from each wing half

Thx for the results and VOR advise

I did not use a GAD 27 so not sure. I was only advised not to use the VPX for this function. The downside is you cannot tie any wig wag function to speed. I always turn wig wag on with lights anyway.

For what it's worth, I asked Vertical Power about the wig-wag issue with ZipTips and they said it was no longer an issue. I'm curious what Aveo might say though using them with the VPX controlling wig-wag. I had been planning on wiring mine that way - but curious what you hear!

I have the Bob Archer antenna in my right wingtip. No issues at all.

Just be clear, you have an Archer COM antenna in your right wingtip? I know plenty of folks that have Archer Nav antenna in their wingtips that work just fine, but haven’t heard of the COM version being all that successful.

I am going to install my Gap29 Pitot and will be using 14 gauge shielded wire. I’m a rookie at this and wanted to know if I need to get 2 or just 1 conductor wire? (Do I have to shield both red and black wires scoring off control module).

I will also be using shielded wire for my zip tips too to be safe.

Twisted pair

I am going to install my Gap29 Pitot and will be using 14 gauge shielded wire. I’m a rookie at this and wanted to know if I need to get 2 or just 1 conductor wire? (Do I have to shield both red and black wires scoring off control module).

I will also be using shielded wire for my zip tips too to be safe.

Recommended shielded twisted pair for the pitot at least in the wing. That is how I did the 14 to get it past the magnetometer. Better to use shielded twisted (2 conductor) all the way to the panel to be safe. I’ve heard the regulated pitot might cause more noise issues. I used the unregulated pitot because I did not want any noise in my headsets. Maybe regulated vs unregulated not an issue but much easier to run shielded twisted pair now. My 10 will have a regulated pitot.

For what it's worth, I asked Vertical Power about the wig-wag issue with ZipTips and they said it was no longer an issue. I'm curious what Aveo might say though using them with the VPX controlling wig-wag. I had been planning on wiring mine that way - but curious what you hear!

Works fine for me. The Aveo system uses the recognition lights for W-W, which is what I have setup on my VP-X. The Landing lights have more elements and do take slightly more time (still in fractions of a second) than the recognition lights and would likely have delay issues compared to the built-in system.

I used all shielded wires and have not experienced any magnetometer issues.

Last edited:

Left Wing:
Left Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Strobe Sync
Master-Slave select

Right Wing:
Right Wing Landing
NAV Lights
Ground
Strobe Lights
Taxi Lights
Ground
Shield Grounds
Strobe Sync

THIS POST HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL! I have purchased all my shielded wire and I will be going with the VPX. With regard to wiring the wigwag and wigwag sync wires….. do they have to be run and connected to anything. I have the other wires about to be wired but I want to know what to do with these two.

If you are going to use VP-X to do W-W, then you can simply leave the wing tip W-W and sync wires disconnected (capped).

However, it's a simple effort to run a 22 GA wire between the wing tips for sync and another up to the panel for W-W , which I did. In the event you want to install a toggle switch to manually run W-W or you're not satisfied with the speed activated W-W, it's easier to install up front than to do later.

These two wires, W-W and W-W sync use only discrete signals, so an unshielded 22 GA wire will work fine for this. However, I would ensure that wire is bundled in with other wires to provide protection for it.

So I presume the 2 wig-wag wires will not be in the same CPC connector as the rest of the wires and I guess I should use a separate Deutsch connector??!

I have most of this concept understood but I just want to make sure
Thanks

So I presume the 2 wig-wag wires will not be in the same CPC connector as the rest of the wires and I guess I should use a separate Deutsch connector??!

I have most of this concept understood but I just want to make sure
Thanks

Mine are in the same connector - no reason not to do so.

So I decided to run straight to the panel from Ziptips omitting the CPC connector. I was originally going to run a CPC connector at wing root so I can just plug and play having less work once I get wings to airport for final assembly. I bought MilSpec 20awg and 16awg (for power/grd) SHIELDED wire.

Does the shield from wire get grounded on both ends or just 1? If someone can help me understand this better I appreciate it :)

SO many variables and things to know as a first time builder is getting overwhealming:-(

Zip Tips

So I decided to run straight to the panel from Ziptips omitting the CPC connector. I was originally going to run a CPC connector at wing root so I can just plug and play having less work once I get wings to airport for final assembly. I bought MilSpec 20awg and 16awg (for power/grd) SHIELDED wire.

Does the shield from wire get grounded on both ends or just 1? If someone can help me understand this better I appreciate it :)

SO many variables and things to know as a first time builder is getting overwhealming:-(

For LED's only ground one end. (Mags a different story)

You probably will need some type of connector at the wing root and CPC is a good choice. You will spend more time installing the CPC at the wing root now than to try and feed that much cable through your wing later. Just a suggestion.

So reading the schematic from Aveo ….. do I have to run wire harness from rear position/strobe through module and plug 4 sockets into CPC… then run all wires out of front of CPC????

Doesn’t it make more sense to snip off the sockets and splice in the 4 rear position wires and then run less wires through wing???

Trying to understand schematic better

Not sure I understand what you are requesting

So reading the schematic from Aveo ….. do I have to run wire harness from rear position/strobe through module and plug 4 sockets into CPC… then run all wires out of front of CPC????

Doesn’t it make more sense to snip off the sockets and splice in the 4 rear position wires and then run less wires through wing???

If this is the schematic, you are looking at I think pretty straight forward.

Assuming you are grounding at each wing tip and tail you only need to run 3 wires to the strobe/nav in the tail. Strobe power, Position power and strobe synch. There's only one "socket" per wingtip and I would not be snipping this off. Maybe show your wiring drawing, a hand sketch would be fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-23 192652.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 192652.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 53
I do not mean the tail posi strobe … I mean the rear position light in the back of wing tip….. here is a picture of how I have things so far …..

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 42
FYI, I did not use any shielded wire with my ziptios.
I did twist the power and return for the paired functions. ( Twisted using the drill techique)
Zero noise issues.

The ZipTips come wired internally; you don't have to do any wiring internal to the wingtip module. It comes with a CPC connector and pigtail that you connect your wires from the wingtip through your wing to your switches. It's a good package and well done.

The one thing I did was de-pin the pigtail connector they provided; their goal is to make it so you only have to splice to their pigtail - which is a nice thing, but I preferred avoiding the extra spliced connection and instead pinned my wires and reused the provided CPC connector.

Last edited:
Rear position and strobe wires

I do not mean the tail posi strobe … I mean the rear position light in the back of wing tip….. here is a picture of how I have things so far …..

The 4 wires from the rear position light need to be pinned into the provided CPC connector. (Check schematic for correct position) I haven’t looked at your videos but I think this is what you are asking.

Any pictures you have to share

Of course, please see post #5

Also, I haven't been good at keeping the online builder log up to date, but here are some posts with photos.

The 4 wires from the rear position light need to be pinned into the provided CPC connector. (Check schematic for correct position) I haven’t looked at your videos but I think this is what you are asking.

Interesting. I have the ZipTip 3 Premiere units; they came with all lights wired completely to the included CPC connector.

Last edited:
does anyone have the part number for the pins and the connector needed for the wing side of wiring on the zip tips?

I do not have my project handy, and do not know if the zip tip connector provided from Aveo is the male or the female CPC- trying to order the right stuff

I do not have anything handy right now, but I am going to be using a quick CPC disconnect at the wing root. I believe you just have to match up the pin number and order that type of CPC connector.

Back