What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builder Log Records

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
Is there a time requirement for keeping the old documentation related to the build of your experimental aircraft? Such as a photo-build log?

After the Conditional Certificate is issued, is there any reason to keep the old records? Other than personal sentimental reasons?

Is there a time requirement for keeping the old documentation related to the build of your experimental aircraft? Such as a photo-build log?

After the Conditional Certificate is issued, is there any reason to keep the old records? Other than personal sentimental reasons?

Sale of the aircraft would be a good one....

That makes sense. Would the market value be impacted without build photo documentation? In a big way?

Based on the feedback I got when selling my well documented RV-7A build, I would say yes but it’s hard to quantify how much. I think the documentation for maintenance helped more. In addition to logbooks, I took photos to back up all the log entries plus many more such as borescope pictures and kept them in a google photo album I could easily share with prospective buyers. Again, just based on the positive feedback.

Does it increase the value of a sale???
Maybe, maybe not.
I would suggest that it could help a lot in closing a deal with a prospective buyer...

That makes sense. Would the market value be impacted without build photo documentation? In a big way?

If I'm the buyer, and you're claiming to be the builder without evidence of that, then I'm not a buyer.

Based on the feedback I got when selling my well documented RV-7A build, I would say yes but it’s hard to quantify how much. I think the documentation for maintenance helped more. In addition to logbooks, I took photos to back up all the log entries plus many more such as borescope pictures and kept them in a google photo album I could easily share with prospective buyers. Again, just based on the positive feedback.

If I am the buyer, good maintenance records, for the engine, airframe and propeller, with a photo history would be very valuable to me.
Much more so than old build photos.

That is a good idea, and it will be added to my list of things to do!

Back