What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine / Aircraft log entries during Phase One?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
Are there requirements to have a detailed log book entry for all items during Phase One? Such as accessories on the aircraft, or other items that are installed or removed for testing purposes?

My Ops Specs simply states a 12 month Conditional Inspection must be completed, with a log entry by a qualified person.
And, after Phase One is complete, a new log entry with the required info.

Is that all that is required per the FAR’s? I have searched but can’t find an answer.

Last edited:
It should say some wording on your ops limit. The pic attached shows my ops limits wording and the reg. There is also more wording for aerobatic maneuvers as well.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 169
It should say some wording on your ops limit. The pic attached shows my ops limits wording and the reg. There is also more wording for aerobatic maneuvers as well.

Thanks. I have similar wording for the end of Phase One.

What about the first 20 hours of experimental tests? Log entries for engine and airframe required, any time a parameter or a component is changed?

Thanks. I have similar wording for the end of Phase One.

What about the first 20 hours of experimental tests? Log entries for engine and airframe required, any time a parameter or a component is changed?

I do not believe those are required by regulation. However, most guys seem to log things done to their plane. If I change a part I will log it. If I change the oil I will log it, etc. But I don't think there is anything pertaining to phase 1 other than when you finish it. Hopefully Mel will chime in at some point as that guy knows it best.

As far as accessories go I won't log it unless it changes airflow or w&b significantly.

I do not believe those are required by regulation. However, most guys seem to log things done to their plane. If I change a part I will log it. If I change the oil I will log it, etc. But I don't think there is anything pertaining to phase 1 other than when you finish it. Hopefully Mel will chime in at some point as that guy knows it best.

As far as accessories go I won't log it unless it changes airflow or w&b significantly.

This is what I'm being told by some good friends. Just want to make sure I stay legal!
Yes, if something major were done it certainly would be logged. But not ordinary routine things that may get tinkered with almost daily during the first 40 hour fly off.

No expert by any stretch, but this is what I recorded during phase 1. The oil changes, any replaced failed component and any permanent change. If I had to adjust or tighten something that did not get logged. Nor did I log any of the various inspections during phase 1. The only performance statement in my log is the exact wording from my Op Limits that state phase 1 was completed.

This is what I'm being told by some good friends. Just want to make sure I stay legal!
Yes, if something major were done it certainly would be logged. But not ordinary routine things that may get tinkered with almost daily during the first 40 hour fly off.

Yep sounds like your good to go. Now go burn some avgas! :D

During Phase One, changes might be made on a daily basis...adding or removing items for data collection, for example. This certainly would not be a required maintenance log entry.

Yes, if you replaced an engine cylinder, or crankshaft. Log it. If you hang a temp probe to temporarily measure EGT, no need to log that.

If I mount / install Go-Pro cameras on the plane for data collection, do I need to log that?
Answer - No.

The DAR I spoke with agrees.

Logbook entries add value.

While there are not a lot of regulations about logbook entries, they do add value to the aircraft when it comes time to sell. During Phase I, you are required to test the aircraft throughout the ranges of weight & balance and speed. If entries are made to verify your testing, it provides proof that you did indeed test the aircraft as required.

Compare to an engine overhaul. When I see an entry that says "Engine overhauled IAW Lycoming document abc on this date.", that doesn't impress me as much as a 1-2 page entry listing all parts that were replaced and tolerances of the parts that were reused, etc.

Last edited:
Back