What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software v9.12/G5 Software v8.16/Service Bulletin 21222

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Evening!

We are pleased to roll out new software for both the G3X Touch and G5, installed in EAB aircraft. The team has been hard at work to round these updates out, and make them available to the field.

G3X Touch software version 9.12 can be found in the Software Download Area. G5 software version 8.16 can be found here.

Several system LRU's will be updated with this software load, the software download page includes a detailed LRU software change list. Cross-referencing the System Information page in configuration mode, please ensure each LRU is successfully updated to the appropriate software level upon completion of the software load.

There are numerous updates included in G3X Touch software v9.12. We are excited to make possible the integration of a GI 275 into a G3X Touch system with this update. This will facilitate bug sync between the two units for more seamless operation. Also, Miscompare messages will be displayed if the ADAHRS in the GI275 disagrees with the G3X Touch. It is worth noting that the GI275 cannot act as the Flight Director, in the case of a G3X Touch display failure, like the G5 can.

A lot of the pilot facing changes in this software update are designed to help improve situational awareness. There are several new alerting mechanisms available to the pilot now (outlined below). There are also important behind the scenes updates included in this update. We dedicate a lot of time and effort to hardening redundancy and reliability at a system level. These changes may not be immediately apparent from the pilot's perspective upon update, but we can assure you are important and worth the time to update.

Service Bulletin 22112 was also released today. We discussed the origin of this Service document in this post last week. It is important to complete this software update for G3X Touch, G3X and G5 installations. G3X Software 12.40 will be available soon for G3X non-touch users.

New Features:

Improved traffic audio alerts - Relative direction, altitude, and distance are annunciated when traffic alert is issued

Optional audio alert for high-airspeed condition - This triggers an aural alert when Vne threshold is crossed, in an effort to raise situational awareness when operating at the high end of the airspeed range. This function can be enabled in Configuration mode > Sound > VNE Alert.

Add optional audio alert when reaching safe altitude after takeoff - At a pre-configured altitude, an aural alert is played. Ideally, above this altitude you can execute a return to the field if necessary. Configure as necessary per airframe performance. This function can be enabled in Configuration Mode > Aircraft > Takeoff Safe Altitude

Add optional CAS reminder to check baro-setting when on the ground - A CAS message is displayed when the aircraft is on the ground and barometric altitude is significantly offset from field elevation. This function can be enabled/disabled in Configuration Mode > PFD > Baro Setting Reminder

Improve transponder behavior when STBY mode is selected before takeoff - When a transponder is manually set to STBY prior to takeoff, the transponder will stay in STBY rather than automatically cycle to ALT mode upon takeoff. This is helpful for formation flights.

Add optional audio alert when approaching VNAV profile - This triggers an alert prior to VNAV capture, similar to the GTN "vertical track" audible alert.

Improve Smart Glide operation and glide range ring - To account for full or partial power situations, the glide ring will now dynamically account for glide performance beyond the book values. If the aircraft is under partial power, the glide range will extend dynamically to reflect the current sink rate per real-time performance numbers.

• Add ability to disable ESP by holding AP DISC button for 5 seconds
• Add ability to manually configure GPS integrity for GTX xx5R transponders
• Add support for additional RS-232 formats for GTX xx5R transponders
• Add automatic IGRF data update from navigation database
• Improve GSA28 hardware monitoring
• Improve visibility of selected track/heading lines on map
• Improve functionality of GEA 24 backup RS-232 connection
• Improve EIS configuration and calibration
• Improve ESP operation
• Improve flight plan Leg ESA data field
• Improve local time data fields
• Improve chart display
• Improve radio tuning
• Improve data logging
• Improve airspace alerting
• Improve diagnostic pages
• Improve LRU software update process
• Improve MapMX RS-232 interface
• Improve map display of TFR, NOTAM, and obstacle data
• Correct display of winds aloft magnitude for FIS-B sources
• General improvements to system operation

Please send any questions at all our way!

Thanks,

Justin

Wow, great stuff, some very nice updates here, Nice work guys!
What will the G3X 232-port setting be for the G3X/GI275 interface to work?
GI275 Teaser (more to follow):
i-XBt5Kdv-S.jpg
i-VNVDS66-S.jpg

Last edited:
Does this update fix the trim issue discussed last week? I have had a couple times when I turned off the ap, I was roll trimmed all the way to the right. My flight data confirmed it when I uploaded it to Savvy.

I want to check out the ESP update too. I may have that set incorrectly. I will install the update tomorrow but too windy for me to fly so maybe Wed.

I appreciate the updates and great support for an almost 7 year old system.

Does this update fix the trim issue discussed last week?

From the first post:

Service Bulletin 22112 was also released today. We discussed the origin of this Service document in this post last week. It is important to complete this software update for G3X Touch, G3X and G5 installations.

From the service bulletin:

Update the G3X Touch unit software to 9.12 or later, per the instructions provided in Section 35.3.1 (Page 35-3) of the G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual (190-01115-01, Revision AQ).

Service Bulletin

Does this update fix the trim issue discussed last week? I have had a couple times when I turned off the ap, I was roll trimmed all the way to the right. My flight data confirmed it when I uploaded it to Savvy.

I want to check out the ESP update too. I may have that set incorrectly. I will install the update tomorrow but too windy for me to fly so maybe Wed.

I appreciate the updates and great support for an almost 7 year old system.

Good Morning,

You nailed it, This software update is the solution discussed in the thread last Wednesday that can be found here.

The software update is all that is needed to satisfy the service bulletin and correct the problem.
Thanks,

Justin

GI 275 Integration

Wow, great stuff, some very nice updates here, Nice work guys!
What will the G3X 232-port setting be for the G3X/GI275 interface to work?
GI275 Teaser (more to follow):
i-XBt5Kdv-S.jpg
i-VNVDS66-S.jpg

Thanks Walt!

We will have new documentation posted shortly. Garmin Instrument Data is the setting that will be used on the G3X Touch side.

Thanks,

Justin

Good Morning,

You nailed it, This software update is the solution discussed in the thread last Wednesday that can be found here.

The software update is all that is needed to satisfy the service bulletin and correct the problem.
Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin. I did the update today. I am not sure what the PFT is. I will look it up and make sure I do whatever it is! Thanks again.

I just did the update to 9.12 and now have the following messages:

PFD IGRF data invalid
AHRS IGRF data invalid

The G5 has the same message as well.

A quick search didn’t provide an obvious solution. Any ideas?

Chris

I just did the update to 9.12 and now have the following messages:

PFD IGRF data invalid
AHRS IGRF data invalid

The G5 has the same message as well.

A quick search didn’t provide an obvious solution. Any ideas?

Chris

I did the update this morning and got the "IGRF data invalid" on my G5. However, I left the system powered up for a while and the message went away. I think the update had not finished installing - even after the first re-boot.

IGRF Message

We shifted the IGRF database update to the navigation database, rather than system software based. This will make it easier for many aircraft to update that database when the time comes.

As a result of this change, if your navigation database is several years out of date when the v9.12 software is loaded you will see the IGRF invalid message. This means your Navigation database is many years out of date. A quick database update is all that is needed to resolve this message.

Fortunately we have been working on a free VFR database package for EAB installations! This will allow you to keep the basic databases in the system up to date at no charge. Brad will follow up on this soon here on VAF to provide more information on how to start making use of this.

Thanks,

Justin

We shifted the IGRF database update to the navigation database, rather than system software based. This will make it easier for many aircraft to update that database when the time comes.

As a result of this change, if your navigation database is several years out of date when the v9.12 software is loaded you will see the IGRF invalid message. This means your Navigation database is many years out of date. A quick database update is all that is needed to resolve this message.

Fortunately we have been working on a free VFR database package for EAB installations! This will allow you to keep the basic databases in the system up to date at no charge. Brad will follow up on this soon here on VAF to provide more information on how to start making use of this.

Thanks,

Justin

That sounds great news re the free VFR Database Justin, will it be a global thing? Us in the UK and Europe would be very much happier if it was :)

I loaded 9.12, into my SLING yesterday. I monitored its progress in configuration mode and noticed it took a bit longer than usual to load/update my Com, G45R and G5. Will look to fly with it Friday, as weather is gonna be lousy today and tomorrow.

Upload

After being a little intimidated from a software update last year I was concerned (terrified) that this one would not go as planned. Worked perfectly !!! Thanks Garmin. !!

Thanks,

Justin

Great news. I am in that years old DB camp, as I use Foreflight for charts and the 430W for nav. Just don't want to spend $$ on another DB. Will this free DB include obstacle data in addition to the IGRF data?

Larry

Great news. I am in that years old DB camp, as I use Foreflight for charts and the 430W for nav. Just don't want to spend $$ on another DB. Will this free DB include obstacle data in addition to the IGRF data?

Larry

Yes - the free database package will include Obstacles, Terrain, and US Airport Information. See post here.

B/R,

Brad

Refresh my memory on which button to hold down to stay in config mode and monitor the software download progress?

Add optional CAS reminder to check baro-setting when on the ground

For those interested the limits for this is approx. 140 ft to high and 80 ft to low. Nice add. (Not that I ever forgot to set the baro :))

On a stand alone G5, I’m getting the IGRF error too. Do I have to load a database to the G5 now?

G5 Update

My G5 took quite a while to read the update through the can bus while the PFD and MFD went fairly quickly. (Less than a few minutes each)

IGRF Data Missing

Same here...

It is possible this could be caused by removing your microSD card too quickly after the update. Can you try re-insetting your datacard and powering the unit up?

Thanks,

Justin

GADM on Mac Status

Hi Justin,

Any update on the Ventura OS issue with the Garmin Database Manager?

Thanks Jim

Hey Jim!

Yes we will have this resolved shortly, we apologize for the inconvenience on this one, but you will be back up and running on Mac OS soon.

Thanks,

Justin

When it asks to load the IGRF database, I choose OK then it just sits at this screen for hours.

Attachments

• 48BF0282-FB23-412B-B031-E7C980577DB5.jpeg
    48BF0282-FB23-412B-B031-E7C980577DB5.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 113
When it asks to load the IGRF database, I choose OK then it just sits at this screen for hours.

It is possible this could be caused by removing your microSD card too quickly after the update. Can you try re-insetting your datacard and powering the unit up?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

I am seeing the same thing as this user. I let mine sit for an hour on ground power and it never found its way to the next screen.

Has 9.12 been withdrawn? The software download web site seems to have 9.10.

- mark

Attachments

• 9.10.jpg
    9.10.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 45

- mark

I’m stumped, hopefully g3expert will chime in tomorrow. I loaded 9.12 Tuesday, confirmed it was 9.12 and flew with it today, no issues. Where did 9.10 come from? I would think, if there were issues with 9.12, we’d see a follow up with a 9.13, 14, 15, etc.

Hi Mark,

We removed the recent software versions a few hours ago. We pulled it out of an abundance of caution as we investigate.

We will have some details tomorrow morning and I will provide a link here to the post at that time.

Thanks,

Johnny

Hi Mark,

We removed the recent software versions a few hours ago. We pulled it out of an abundance of caution as we investigate.

We will have some details tomorrow morning and I will provide a link here to the post at that time.

Thanks,

Johnny

Thank you for the update. I’ve already loaded and flew with 9.12 and have not experienced any issues. Can I wait for the update to 9.12, next week or load 9.10? Again, 9.12 loaded and flown with no issues.

Thank you for the update. I’ve already loaded and flew with 9.12 and have not experienced any issues. Can I wait for the update to 9.12, next week or load 9.10? Again, 9.12 loaded and flown with no issues.

It is your decision to remain on 9.12 or move back to 9.10 for the next week.
As mentioned on our other post,
In the meantime, if you have G5 v8.16 or G3XT v9.12 you may observe autopilot disconnects and/or erroneous servo hardware faults when ESP engages.

This issue may be observed when ESP engages (ie, when you have gone outside your configured Roll, Pitch, or Airspeed limits.
These limits would be found detailed in the G3X Touch Installation Manual §35.4.12

Spontaneous reboot since update

I loaded the new code on yesterday. Next day, on the ground, I was playing with some flight planning between the PFD and GTN. After about 20-30 minutes or more I noticed the MFD went into reversionary mode. About 5-10 seconds later the PFD spontaneously rebooted. The PFD came back up normally.

I don't have a G5 or GSA28. This has never happened before and only once since I updated but, again, I was just on the ground. I had a highly regulated power supply maintaining power so power quality and quantity was not the issue. I tried to reproduce this but even after an hour of additional play on the ground the systems were stable.

Michael B

It is your decision to remain on 9.12 or move back to 9.10 for the next week.
As mentioned on our other post,

This issue may be observed when ESP engages (ie, when you have gone outside your configured Roll, Pitch, or Airspeed limits.
These limits would be found detailed in the G3X Touch Installation Manual §35.4.12

ESP is a 'cool' feature, but I suspect most RV drivers leave the default 'off' as I do, it conflicts with normal RV fun yankin and bankin.

ESP

ESP could be a really nice feature. I did have it on until a couple weeks ago when I had a trim issue. When I turned off the AP, I was full right trim. That got my attention pretty quick. I think I just became more aware of the stick forces and could feel the ESP resistance more than I had previously.

I have it and the trim off now until the software gets the bugs worked out. I did the 9.12 update but still have ESP and auto trim off. I will probably keep it that way.

Interesting. I’m running 9.12 and had an AP disconnect unrelated to ESP. Just in straight & level cruise. I also had the spontaneous PFD reboot the other poster described.

I flew yesterday with the 9.12 upgrade installed. A couple of observations:
1. After first start, there was a popup message telling me to SET BARO. It went away by itself after a few seconds. No popup msg after starts later that day.
2. The lady in the box was more informative. Instead of "TRAFFIC", it's now "TRAFFIC, 3 O'CLOCK, SAME ALTITUDE."

I loaded the new code on yesterday. Next day, on the ground, I was playing with some flight planning between the PFD and GTN. After about 20-30 minutes or more I noticed the MFD went into reversionary mode. About 5-10 seconds later the PFD spontaneously rebooted. The PFD came back up normally.

Michael B

Interesting. I’m running 9.12 and had an AP disconnect unrelated to ESP. Just in straight & level cruise. I also had the spontaneous PFD reboot the other poster described.

Mike and Michael,

Please send your shutdown logs (exported to an SD card from the Main Menu>Tools>Diagnostics>Shutdowns>Press the Menu button>"Copy to SD card" option) to the email address in our signature.

Mike,
Please include the Flight Data log from the flight with the AP disconnect if you had an SD card in your display with this occurred.

Thanks,
Johnny

Last edited:
I upgraded to 9.12 no problem. I friend told me the G3X software 9.12 is no longer available on the download site. I checked and sure enough, the Garmin download site only shows version 9.10 now. What's up with that?

No shutdown log

Mike and Michael,

Please send your shutdown logs (exported to an SD card from the Main Menu>Tools>Diagnostics>Shutdowns) to the email address in our signature.

Mike,
Please include the Flight Data log from the flight with the AP disconnect if you had an SD card in your display with this occurred.

Thanks,
Johnny

Hi Johnny

When I go into the shurdown screen no log is generated. I checked in both normal startup and in configuration mode. I’ll e at the hangar for a while longer so there is something else to collect let me know but I will roll back to9.10 for now.

Roll back

Hi Johnny

When I go into the shurdown screen no log is generated. I checked in both normal startup and in configuration mode. I’ll e at the hangar for a while longer so there is something else to collect let me know but I will roll back to9.10 for now.

By the way, how do you roll back. I’ve put 9.10 into the Garmin directory but I am not being prompted to update or downgrade.

Thanks

Push menu

Hi Johnny

A step was missed. Menu button needs to be pushed and held to start the export. I’ll send in the log in a couple hours.

shutdown diag files sent

Mike and Michael,

Please send your shutdown logs (exported to an SD card from the Main Menu>Tools>Diagnostics>Shutdowns>Press the Menu button>"Copy to SD card" option) to the email address in our signature.

Mike,

Thanks,
Johnny

Hi Johnny

The 2 shutdown log files from the diag directory have been sent via email to the G3Xperts address.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Justin,

I am seeing the same thing as this user. I let mine sit for an hour on ground power and it never found its way to the next screen.

Good evening,
We have pushed a new version of G5 v8.17, detailed here.

You may need to try a couple micro SD cards to find one that works to load SW and the IGRF data.
If you are unable to find one that works, please reach out to us at the email below and we will get a working SD card sent out to you ASAP!
- Johnny

402 amps

I was operating 9.10 with no issue. I installed 9.12 as instructed and had no apparent issue. This week I installed 9.13 as directed and took it for a test flight.

Whilst taxiing the ammeter showed 84 amps and then showed 341 amps and went on to show 402 amps. It even shows 402 amps with the engine switched off and only the FPD powered up. The voltmeter was showing 14.2 volts all good.

Until 9.13 the Ammeter was working just fine, first flight using 9.13 problems.

Any solutions?

It may just be a coincidence. I had a similar issue some time ago with mine and it turned out to be the in-line 1A glass fuses. They tested fine on the bench, but certain frequency vibrations would cause faulty readings. I have since replaced them with blade fuses and all is now good. Just a possibility.
Tom
RV-7/G3XT

I installed 9.12 upgrade on my g3x touch and then later to 9.13. But I noticed the checklist in the menu is missing after 9.12 and the same experience after 9.13. Anyone experience missing checklist in the menu after the upgrade? I used a different SD card for the upgrade and later the the old 8GB one back where I have the checklist stored in the Garmin folder.

Last edited:
Autopilot kicks out during preflight check

As of 9.12, but still in 9.13, the autopilot disconnects when I move the stick up and down and the left and right on the ground. Didn’t use to do that. I’m just following the suggested checklist from Garmin G3X Touch Pilot’s Guide 190-01754-00 Rev. S.

AFCS PRE-FLIGHT ACTIONS
To ensure the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) is operating properly prior to flight, perform the following Garmin recommended preflight checks.
Before takeoff checklist - Garmin GFC 500:
Autopilot - ENGAGE (using AP/CWS button, or AP button on mode controller)
Flight controls - CHECK (verify autopilot can be overpowered in both pitch and roll)
AP DISC button - PRESS (verify autopilot disengages and audio alert is heard)

Can’t get to last step as it disconnects itself with the audio alert.

Is this by design? If s, you probably should update the pilots manual. The only complication is I engaged the autopilot with the level button as I don’t have a control head for my AP.

I installed 9.12 upgrade on my g3x touch and then later to 9.13. But I noticed the checklist in the menu is missing after 9.12 and the same experience after 9.13. Anyone experience missing checklist in the menu after the upgrade? I used a different SD card for the upgrade and later the the old 8GB one back where I have the checklist stored in the Garmin folder.

I had the exact same experience with my checklist. Not sure if the weight and balance is on mine now either?

Not sure of the best way to restore those item(s)?

Shunt Fuse Type

I was operating 9.10 with no issue. I installed 9.12 as instructed and had no apparent issue. This week I installed 9.13 as directed and took it for a test flight.

Whilst taxiing the ammeter showed 84 amps and then showed 341 amps and went on to show 402 amps. It even shows 402 amps with the engine switched off and only the FPD powered up. The voltmeter was showing 14.2 volts all good.

Until 9.13 the Ammeter was working just fine, first flight using 9.13 problems.

Any solutions?

Hello Alan,

I agree with Tom below, we have seen this issue a few times in the field with glass fuses. What type do you currently have installed in your shunt wiring?

Thanks,

Justin

Back