What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing flaperon torque tubes after fuselage has been completed

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
I have not yet drilled the flaperon torque tubes. I had read and re-read the section 38 instructions for doing so before installing the wings for the first time yesterday (hooray!). After installing the wings it appeared to me that I was not going to be able to insert the torque tubes as directed in section 38. It was only upon more closely reading the section that it dawned on me that the baggage corner skins aren't installed when the torque tubes are installed as per the plans. My baggage corner skins are already installed (boo!).

My question is simple: is it possible to install the torque tubes with the wings installed (maybe by removing the flaperons from the wings)? Or am I going to have to remove the wings, install the flaperon tubes, match drill, remove the wings again, drill the bottom of the flaperon tubes and then upsize the holes for a AN3 and then install the flaperon tubes and again install the wings?

Sorry, but with the wing attached, you’re not going to be able to insert the flaperon operating arm into the torque tube and simultaneously push the flaperon hinge point into the rod-end bearing in the wing. The directions are 90 degrees to each other.

Attachments

• EA2F517C-C8A7-4C95-9522-A6E748EE25ED.jpeg
    EA2F517C-C8A7-4C95-9522-A6E748EE25ED.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Not so fast Batman

Subpar -

The installed baggage corner skins seem to be a problem.

I installed my torque tubes and drilled same today, but without corner skins installed.

This allowed me to drop the flaps with the wings installed and insert the torque tubes from the inside out without the obstruction of the corner skins.

One solution may be to pull the wings away from the fuse far enough to slip the torque tubes into position from the outside of the fuse. Then push the wings back in place and secure. Then carry on with the balance of the torque tube drilling instructions.

Last edited:
Back