What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X altitude upgrade

Avanza

Well Known Member
After an update the indicated AGL drops out at and below 300 ft.
There is no longer an indication presented. I'm disapointed.
The G3X has no support for the GRA55 radaraltimeter.
All the other Garmin EFIS support the GRA55.
Is it possible that Garmin will restore the AGL and / or support GRA55.

AGL read out

I have GDU 460 and 450.
Not shure about when this happened, but I made an update recently when
installing a G5. After flight test I notised that AGL just presented --- <300 ft.
I made a go around and same thing happened again.
From latest Pilot manual it says it vill present ---- below a set ALT.
Liability issues I presume. I have never had a problem, it worked fine.

:mad:

After an update the indicated AGL drops out at and below 300 ft.
There is no longer an indication presented. I'm disapointed.
Is it possible that Garmin will restore the AGL and / or support GRA55.

As far as I know, it has always worked this way. I went back to one of my flight videos taken in 2019 using V8.60 software, and the AGL field dashes as soon as the aircraft descends below 300 ft AGL.

This is done for safety reasons. The systems uses GPS altitude and terrain data to calculate AGL. The GPS altitude near the surface is pretty accurate, but the terrain data is not fine enough for you to be using this in the clouds as a pseudo radar altimeter below 300' AGL, and fortunately the data is dashed to prevent people from trying.

Steve

Those wanting a relatively inexpensive callout down to touchdown could take a look at the Enginebridge landing height controller.

I was involved with some of the testing of an early version and still have it installed in my 7. It is still working well and is a 'nice to have addition.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I happened to notice in G3x Touch v9.14 that you can configure an ARINC input as “Radar Altimeter”, then after doing so, a Radar Altimeter config button appears on the main config screen.

Seems RA support will be coming soon

Last edited:
I happened to notice in G3x Touch v9.14 that you can configure an ARINC input as “Radar Altimeter”, then after doing to, a Radar Altimeter config button appears on the main confit screen.

Similar to how the G3X system supports TCAS II, you could imagine support for this interface being added to allow a GRA 55 to be used, by those who really want to have one.

Similar to how the G3X system supports TCAS II, you could imagine support for this interface being added to allow a GRA 55 to be used, by those who really want to have one.

GTS8000, TCAS system only 95k :eek:

Sounds like we should all rush to get our CAT II certificates :) (doesn't it require TAWS too? That's another good few K just for the enablement card on a GTN)

(I'm using a GTS800 (only 4k) and a LIDAR-based radio altimeter on mine though - maybe some day I'll try to make an ARINC interface so the G3X actually recognizes the LIDAR as an RA)

(I'm using a GTS800 (only 4k) and a LIDAR-based radio altimeter on mine though - maybe some day I'll try to make an ARINC interface so the G3X actually recognizes the LIDAR as an RA)

You certainly got a good deal on the GTS, list price with directional antenna is 3 times that amount!

Back