What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Canopy Rail?

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a trick for locating the forward most hole in the C804/C805 rear canopy rail? The instructions say to drill from the bottom of the 882PP but how has everyone ensured the hole ends up in the correct position on the rear canopy rail?
Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 3.06.00 PM.png

Maybe I’m totally missing something but I still don’t see how to locate the hole on the underside of F882PP to that it falls in the correct position on C804/C805. And if you drill a hole in the C804/C805 first it’s too tight to match drill the hole in 882PP.

I think for this hole, you drill from the bottom and it pops out of the top rail. In reality, this hole will be burried inside the slider hole atop of the fuse.

I just did this and spent some time thinking through how. I was uncomfortable with missing the target when drilling the hole from the bottom so I looked for another way. What I did was drill a very small pilot hole (#45 or smaller) into the C805 as called for in the plans. Then I put it in place with the locking block into F882. Once I had it centered and where I thought it should be, I took a dental pic that I bought at Menards for about $5 and put it into the hole marking the proper drilling location on F882. Then I took it all apart, took off F825, removed the rib F882 and located my mark. I then took a #40 bit and placed it through a dimple hole in the rib which allowed it to hit the mark I had which has to be approached from an angle. I turned it by hand until I had a perfect start to a hole. Attached the drill and finished the hole. Put it all back together and have a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Back