What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Pilot During Phase 1

jcl777

Just curious...has anyone taken advantage of the provisions of AC 90-116 that permit a second pilot during Phase 1?

If so, did you use a "qualfied pilot" or "observer pilot".

I’m very interested in using the second pilot program. Hopefully this will be a good discussion.

Admittedly I haven’t read all the docs related to this program thoroughly, what’s the difference between qualified and observer pilot?

I’m very interested in using the second pilot program. Hopefully this will be a good discussion.

Admittedly I haven’t read all the docs related to this program thoroughly, what’s the difference between qualified and observer pilot?

Your eyes will glaze over reading that AC. I even called EAA for some clarification - they were very helpful.

A qualified pilot can be on board during all Phase 1, including the initial flight. However, the requirements are fairly steep. See the Qualified Pilot Worksheet in Appendix 1 of the AC.

An observer pilot is simply one who is current (landings, flight review, etc). However, an observer pilot cannot be on board until after 8 hours are on the plane, and the "Aircraft Initial Tests" and "Builder/Pilot Maneuvers List" is complete. See the "Initial Tests Package Worksheet" in Appendix 1. This seems to mean that for a new plane that has only a 5 hour Phase 1, the use of the observer pilot is moot.

There are additional requirements for the aircraft, but if you're building E-LSA, those should not be a concern at all (i.e. building from a kit, an approved engine, etc).

Excellent explanation, John.
My experience:
I’ve flown 3 phase I’s and have had a second crew member for several flights each time.
They were required for manual data logging, and managing the clock to accurately measure roll rate and other performance dynamics, especially at the edge of the envelope.
They were experienced rated pilots that didn’t join the party until 15-20 hours in; at a point when initial gremlins were confidently behind me.
My thought is that if you have a legitimate and thought out need for an additional “crew” you meet the spirit as well as the letter of the regulations.

Last edited:
Follow Up Question

Before you can consider either a qualified pilot or observer pilot, the AC requires 7 documented powerplant tests, if applicable:

1. Mixture and idle check - mix is N/A on a Rotax, and idle check is understood
  2. Magneto check - OK
  3. Cold cylinder check - is this required for a Rotax or is it N/A?
  4. Carb heat check - N/A for Rotax
  5. Fuel flow check - completed during PAP, understood
  6. Unusable fuel check - ??
  7. Compression check - required for the Rotax??
Sorry for what might be dumb or obvious questions.

Last edited:
Your eyes will glaze over reading that AC. I even called EAA for some clarification - they were very helpful.

A qualified pilot can be on board during all Phase 1, including the initial flight. However, the requirements are fairly steep. See the Qualified Pilot Worksheet in Appendix 1 of the AC.

Yea, jump straight to the appendix, that's where the meat is. I actually converted the Qualified Pilot criteria in the AC into a Google Sheet for my QP to fill in online, to make it easier for him. I'm willing to share a link if you're interested PM me.

First, before flying with QP you have:

• Ground checks (the list jcl777 posted)

For a QP, you have:

• Basic Requirements (yes/no questions related to flight review, recency and so on)
  • Recency of Experience (scoring sheet, you need to add up to greater than some threshold)
  • Experience Qualification (another scoring sheet)

For a OP, you need:

• Aircraft Initial Tests (AIT) (including minimum of 8 hours flying time)
  • BP Maneuvers List (BPML) (things like steep turns, stalls, slow flight, and so on)
  • OP Basic Requirements (yes/no questions just like for QP)

The way I'm approaching AC 90-116 during Phase 1 is: I'm going to ask my QP to assist me for any of the flight tests I believe are risky, where I'd like to reduce my workload. I spelled out which tests these would be in my written test plan: "Initial test flight, Stalls, Accelerated Stalls, G Limit Testing". I'll call him up whenever I plan to do the initial test of any of those. Then, later, after all the AIT and BPML are done, I'll be free to take an OP up with me if I feel it would enhance safety.

Our regulator seems to be quite understanding in this area especially for RV's. Upon granting the green light it was pointed out to me that the conditions of the Airworthiness Certificate allowed two pilots on board. Here we nominate our test pilots and need to have test pilot approvals granted by CAA Licensing.

It seemed common sense the first flight should be completed with a single pilot and that once we had a few flights under our belts, then we might look at flying two up. As it happened we used the same pilot for the first three flights (for continuity of the program we were following) and then we tag-teamed the remainder of the test flying except towards the end where it was handy to have self loading cargo for the MAUW tests. For those flights we had the two nominated test pilots on board. So while our rules are slightly different the outcome of our testing was very much in line with the rules you have to comply with anyway... two nominated test pilots with qualifying flights completed before two people flew together, and two people only for the benefits they brought to the specific tests being flown. I must add that with a GRT EFIS system on board a lot of the data collection was made by recording the flight to a USB stick and analysing this alongside the observations, reducing the pilot workload in most phases of flight. This was especially useful for climb tests and glide tests as well as engine parameters and break-in... so much easier than a stopwatch and writing numbers on paper.

To answer the OP - Yes, a qualified (and nominated) test pilot.

Before you can consider either a qualified pilot or observer pilot, the AC requires 7 documented powerplant tests, if applicable:

2. Magneto check - OK

cold cylinder check... most important on larger number of cylinders where you could have a dead cylinder and not really hear it (esp. when new to the plane). EASY to do. So do it.

Compresison check... again looking for a cylinder that isn't pulling its weight. Do it.

Unusable fuel check... are you asking how to do that?

2. Magneto check - OK

Some of these terms are ambiguous.

• Mixture and idle check - ?? Engine idles and mixture….what, against the stop?
  • Cold cylinder check - Compression test when cold…no idea

Unless there’s a FAA glossary of terms that include these, I guess whatever I document qualifies…

Some of these terms are ambiguous.

• Mixture and idle check - ?? Engine idles and mixture….what, against the stop?
  • Cold cylinder check - Compression test when cold…no idea

Unless there’s a FAA glossary of terms that include these, I guess whatever I document qualifies…

You might check AC 90-89B - the FAA’s guide to flight testing (which is much more about ground testing before flight than it is about actual flight testing…..).

You might check AC 90-89B - the FAA’s guide to flight testing (which is much more about ground testing before flight than it is about actual flight testing…..).

Thank you Paul.

For others like me who may have been confused by these terms, AC 90-89B does indeed define them as well as lay out the procedures.

• Mixture and idle check - 1-19, page 31.
  • Cold Cylinder Check - 1-19, page 32.

Just like to add, the owner pilot and qualified pilot need to complete the score card matrix and meet the minimum scores. A current pilot in category and class will meet the owner pilot score.
The qualified pilot matrix score is much more demanding requiring a minimum score of 90 for experience qualifications. Per the instructions the score sheet needs to be signed and dated, and attached to the airframe logbook logbook prior to first flight.

Just like to add, the owner pilot and qualified pilot need to complete the score card matrix and meet the minimum scores. A current pilot in category and class will meet the owner pilot score.
The qualified pilot matrix score is much more demanding requiring a minimum score of 90 for experience qualifications. Per the instructions the score sheet needs to be signed and dated, and attached to the airframe logbook logbook prior to first flight.

EAA told me it actually needs to be carried in the plane for each such flight.

Last but not least, of course, the ops limits have to have the magic language specified in the AC that permits such flights.

Unless operating in accordance with Advisory Circular (AC) 90-116, Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Test, during Phase I flight testing, only the minimum crew necessary to fly the aircraft during normal operations may be on board.

Compression Test

Far from authoritative
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=238128

But, the point is, there is, somewhere, an official specification for minimum Rotax "compression" and it is done via a leakdown test. Using a tool such as https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=2EM&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I would think the point of the requirement is to help insure that when 'ol Joe overhauled the used engine in his barn... that the engine might actually make something like rated power on takeoff. Now most likely you have a brand new engine, so this is just a formality, but this test needs to be part of your annual inspection, so buying the equipment is a long term investment.

Also, don't get over confident that the engine shop etc. didn't make a mistake. I know of a case where an engine overhaul shop installed the cam a tooth off of proper timing. Gee this new engine is kinda gutless.... Stuff Happens!

Back