What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-12iS and Airframes Alaska Bag

Amadeus

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience using an Airframes Alaska Liquid Containment Bag?

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Liquid-Containment-Bag-p/5.2bag.htm

I'm curious about the dynamics of stretching over the flaperons with a 30 pound bag to reach the fuel filler neck. Then pouring.

Just trying to figure out how to fly to Sun 'n Fun and continue to keep the Rotax lead-free. Carrollton, GA (KCTJ) no longer carries mogas. Please let me know if there are any other unleaded options in Georgia.

I've got 2 of those bags and I'm very happy with them. They are very light and pack away slim when empty.
They come with a plastic nozzle that twists under the main cap, but they break down and leak very easily, they work but mine failed after about 8 uses.
I'd recommend purchasing the prebuilt valve and nozzle that Airframes Alaska sells. It allows you to keep the fuel from flowing until you're ready to pour, then you can open the valve as fast as you like so you don't get back blasted by fuel.
The bags have saved my butt many times when my fuel planning didn't work out and I could bring an extra 5 gallons to stretch the legs on the 12. They are heavy when leaning over the wing, but they have two sets of handles that help alot. It just takes practice. 215 hrs and I've never burned 100LL.

The bags have saved my butt many times when my fuel planning didn't work out and I could bring an extra 5 gallons to stretch the legs on the 12.

It just takes practice. 215 hrs and I've never burned 100LL.

I wondered why they make and sell a nozzle when the bag already comes with one. Thanks for the heads-up! I'm placing an order for two bags and a nozzle right now.

As far as their use I plan to carry the bags empty and use a courtesy car to run to a gas station (perhaps a couple times). I'm not keen on carrying fuel in a temporary container.

Congrats on remaining lead-free! I'm currently at 148 hours and have never burned 100LL. I want to keep it that way.

avoiding LL

no more MOGAS at KCTJ?
That has been my go to stop when coming back from FL.
Otherwise, carry an empty "standard" 5 gal plastic gas can along and flight plan for airports with courtesy cars (several along the route in GA).
Stop in, drive out, get gas (repeat trip out to gas station as necessary) and carry on.
The pit stops are a welcome respite for leg stretching, peeing, snacks, sightseeing, etc.
Although this bag must have a better empty packing factor, the can has got to be easier to hold up to the RV12 fill ?

I have a couple of those bags and have used them on long trips, mainly to carry fuel from the pump to the plane. No trouble lifting them to access the filler (classic RV12). The two handles are good and the bags empty much faster than a jerrycan. I have had them leak from the cap but fixed that with some lubricant (Inox) on the threads. If you intend to carry fuel in the plane (not recommending that you do), keep them upright and make sure the cap is tight and sealed.

KAPT Jasper TN has Mogas and will be my refueling stop going to SNF.

I also have the bags and they work well. I did change the rubber gaskets to o rings and I keep the empty bags in a large zip lock to contain small.

Jim Butcher

1300 hours and about 10 gal 100LL!

There is no reason to be concerned about making a longer cross country trip and not having access to unleaded fuel.
Try and flight plan for airports that have UL available if you want to, but just use 100LL as needed to make the trip.
It will be a very small percentage of the total fuel run through the engine over its life time and wont even bump the needle on the influence meter.
The safety trade-offs from handling and transporting additional fuel are way out weighed compared to any measurable benefit.

The safety trade-offs from handling and transporting additional fuel are way out weighed compared to any measurable benefit.

My intent is to carry the empty bags with me and use a courtesy car along the way. I wouldn't transport fuel in a temporary container.

KAPT Jasper TN has Mogas and will be my refueling stop going to SNF.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this option.

I would still need another stop along the way before Lakeland - ForeFlight says KAPT - KLAL requires 21 gallons today with a 7kt headwind.

just google

Note that "research" shows the MOGAS at KAPT is 87 octane.
Similar "research" indicates that it doesn't take adding much 100LL to bring 87 up to Rotax tolerable level (91+ octane) ... I forget the ratio and it was hearsay :rolleyes:

Back