What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much COMM redundancy?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Building an RV allows us to apply all the lessons we've learned over previous years. Whether any of that previous experience actually applies to an RV is another thing altogether. I'm considering whether I want one or two COMM radios in my -8. The limited acreage of an -8 panel is playing a part, pushing me towards either only one COMM, or two tiny ones.

In my 8 1/2 years of AF flying, nothing I flew had more than one COMM radio, and I never had a radio issue.

In my 32+ years of airline flying, nothing had less than two COMM radios, and I can recall maybe 2-3 times when we used #2.

There is no absolutely right answer here, but I'd be interested in your thought process in whatever choice you made. In particular, if you've had a radio failure and suffered (with only one radio) or triumphed (because you had two) radios.

Back up Handheld

For my VFR only RV6 I have 1 panel mounted radio. I carry an icom handheld with a headset jack adapter and a USB charger. I'd probably use the same configuration if i were to make it IFR.

One advantage of a single comm is not having to install an audio panel. This really simplifies the wiring.
My Garmin GTR 200B comm lets you listen to the standby freq, has a good intercom and has Bluetooth.

Install two COM 1s

I've had several radio failures in airline flying. Coincidentally, they were all COM #2. So by this (twisted) logic, you'll be fine as long as you never have COM #2, then COM #2 won't fail.

VFR, especially with transponders are easy to deal with a COM failure. 7600, come in to land and watch for the light gun signals. Alternatively, give them a call on your cellphone linked to a bluetooth headset before heading in.

IFR, I'd want two COMs. Losing communication with ATC is a much bigger pain when IFR. Sure there's lost comm procedures, but that still doesn't make it any fun. Depending on which radios you're planning, two might be almost required. Listen to ATC on one radio and get the ATIS on the 2nd radio. Many single radios will now receive from 2 frequencies now, making this less important.

I thought some radios can be controlled entirely from the EFIS? No separate control head required. COM 1 can be the EFIS and COM2 can be a Garmin 650. Saves panel space.

I have had multiple com radio failures in a short amount of GA flying time, though they were mostly the display/controls on old units. If you're going with Garmin equipment and do not need 8.33 KHz spacing, the remote mount experimental Garmin comm radio (GTR 20) is less than $1k, and adding a panel unit only adds about $200 (GTR 200), plus wiring and antennae. For IFR, I would definitely have a second comm. If I'm flying IFR and have a comm failure, I don't want to have to split my attention to a portable or be SOL if my portable batteries died or my portable range isn't good enough to hit the controller or the tower. It's not too much money for a lot of peace of mind, in my opinion.

Old Habits...

I learned to fly in a well equipped C-172 (and later C-182, C-172RG, C-210, PA28, etc.) which had, among other things, dual King KX-155s. Over that summer I learned to keep one COMM on the active (Center, Approach, Tower, CTAF...) and one on ATIS/ASOS, HIWAS, various RCOs, Air/Air, Guard. It became a habit to manage two radios.

On a long cross country flight (KPAO to KGEU) in the club Archer, one of the COMMs died, and it was a bit of a challenge to manage everything with just one radio; Call center - advise that I needed to be off frequency for a PIREP, make note of the new frequency on the return because you were right on a sector boundary when you got the itch to make a PIREP or get weather, dial in the new frequency, fat finger it, switch to 122.00, call and call and call, make PIREP, flip frequencies, try to raise center, can't -- fumble trying to figure out the original freq, etc etc.

More recent radios, like the SL-30/40, GTR 200 have a monitor feature which is nice.

Oh, definitely just one. But then again, I only fly VFR. Considerably simpler, lighter, cheaper.... and a handheld can be carried on trips in case the single com goes belly up.

Dave

In 30 plus years of flying, I don't think I've ever had a comm failure, although I do remember having the knob for a king unit come off because the set screw fell out and I couldn't change frequencies because in that design the shaft was below the level of the faceplate and you couldn't get your fingers in there.

I'm not so much worried about Comm failure, but I do like being able to monitor a second frequency, which is helpful in some of the airspace I fly in, especially VFR.

The cornerstone of my panel is a GTN650nxi for Nav/GPS/comm 1, so starting from that platform, the easiest way for me to get second freq. monitoring was to add a GTN20 remote for comm 2. It cost less than 1 AMU.

If I didn't have a personal hangup about wanting a nav unit, I'd likely just have gone with one of the GPS comms, because it seems like they pretty much all come with second frequency monitoring now.

Oh, definitely just one. But then again, I only fly VFR. Considerably simpler, lighter, cheaper.... and a handheld can be carried on trips in case the single com goes belly up.

Dave

I find it interesting that you think that you only need one comm because you're VFR and I want 2 for exactly the same reason :) (really I just want to be able to monitor a 2nd freq)

I've flown the last ten years or so with only one comm.

What's nice is a comm radio with a monitor function, so you can hear ATIS when there's nothing on the primary feature. Otherwise, I've asked ATC if I could go off frequency to get it. (The old UPSAT nav radios had a similar feature that allowed you to get a cross bearing while the "main" frequency fed the OBS indicator, including ILS).

As for an audio panel, that's often how you get a good intercom. I'm told that the newer Garmin comm radios have a really good intercom, but I know that some older radios did not. And if you have a VOR receiver, you'll want to be able to switch that audio on and off, too.

One feature I would like, and maybe Avidyne radios have this, is to have a stored frequency in addition to the two flip-flop frequencies. That would let you set the departure frequency when it's given to you by clearance delivery, and still flip-flop between tower and ground.

As for the history, I suspect that lots of motivation for two comm radios comes from the days of vacuum tube radios that were mechanically tuned. Two radios gave a functionality roughly equivalent to today's flip-flops.

Comms Preference

I prefer two. Two drivers--redundancy and convenience. The latter is by far the larger of the two.

I've only had one Comm failure that comes to mind. An old King 170B in an even older T-34. I had a handheld, with a headset adapter and a BNC lead to a separate antenna that was usually tucked into a map pocket near my knee. Performance of the handheld wasn't great, but adequate (WAAAY better than the rubber duck would have been). When the King gave it up, the handheld was all that was available. Reconfiguring to get the handheld connected took a minute or so, but not challenging. Switching back and forth, e.g. using the handheld as #2 with a functioning #1, seems like it would be quite inconvenient.

In my current ride, Comm 1 is the Garmin navigator (430W--no ability to monitor standby). Comm 2 is a simple X-com. Performance of the latter isn't great, but again adequate. Approaching a destination, I have Approach and Tower freqs in #1, and ATIS/AWOS and Grnd in #2. With that, I can easily pick up ATIS without missing a call from Approach/Center. One press of the flip-flop and I'm talking to Twr. Exiting the runway after landing, one button press on the audio panel and I'm talking to Ground. On departure, it's basically the reverse, except of course again starting with ATIS. Minimal workload at times when there are plenty of other things to focus on.

Two. One for the more important things like tower, approach, center, CTAF, whatever it happens to be. The second for things like air-to-air with flying buddies, ATIS/ASOS, local advisory frequencies for aerobatics, the like.

Not to mention redundancy.

Most modern radios allow one to monitor the standby frequency.

Yes, But I'm just not comfortable flying IFR without the ability to shoot an ILS. Probably just because I'm old and set in my ways, but hey, I want what I want.

I would have been happy to have a Nav/Comm with 2nd frequency monitoring and call it good, but garmin doesn't seem to make that particular unicorn.

The best way I could figure out to get the features I wanted was a GTN650, panel mount audio panel & autopilot controller, remote comm 2, & remote xponder.

If I didn't care about all that stuff, and was just going with a VFR panel, I would have 100% just gone with something like a GNX375, which is an GPX/Xponder and then paired it with a GTR200B which gets 2nd frequency monitoring & a built in intercom, then gone with remote boxes for everything else.

Not saying the way I'm doing it is right and everything else is wrong, just the way I chose to go.

I find it interesting that you think that you only need one comm because you're VFR and I want 2 for exactly the same reason :) (really I just want to be able to monitor a 2nd freq)

I rarely go into a tower-controlled field. In normal ops the second frequency monitoring capability lets me check the field weather while keeping the traffic frequency available. In my C180, with a single com and no second frequency, I just need to check weather before getting into the traffic area. Not a big deal.

Dave

IMHO this is like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. YMMV

:cool:

two comms when I can. During my PPL training, had one plane that had single comm. Worked, but a pain to change back and forth, as well as telling ATC had to drop and check ATIS (my flight school was under a class C umbrella). Plus we had a couple of planes in the fleet that had random comm issues. Trainers do get used, a lot.

In our plane, I've added the second comm. Stuff happens. Plus I carry a portable.

The faster you go the less time is available.

One radio per 100 mph of speed, round up.

I flew into KRFD (Rockford,IL) last week for my pitot/static check. Approach, new approach, tower, ground in a short time on arrival and used both radios +flip/flops. Ground, tower, departure in rapid succession on departure.

YMMV

alternator / electrical failure

Possibly another reason... battery load.

I have the AFS branded Trig as my 2nd COM. It's wired so that in the event of total electrical meltdown it is powered off of the IBBS battery. The GTN sucks too much battery so if I have to load shed that one goes.

Back in the AF as a T37 instructor, we always joked about radio failure (single com) and how much easier it would be if that happened. Don’t have to talk to anybody, just keep going, follow the procedures and shoot an approach and land. And now with ADSB, it really is that easy.

I am more concerned about only having one engine, than I am one com radio.

Comm

I’ve had a comm issue a few years back . I called the tower on my cell phone… they said call back mid field down wind . I dropped the idea of a crappy handheld as a backup. I keep my local towers in my contacts.

I don’t have a new comm. I have a Garmin SL30 that is not sold anymore. It is at least a decade old now. Even wayyy back then the SL30 and SL40 had the capability to monitor a second frequency. Monitoring a second frequency is the norm, not the exception these days with pretty much any comm you buy.

I opted for a single com and no nav because my missions will always be VFR, but now I realize that a second com would be handy if I get involved in formation flying. My aircraft will be airworthy soon; I'll have a better answer in a few months.

Backup radio

I hung a backup radio on the bottom edge of my panel. It's a "stand alone" with it's own headset plugs and antenna. I keep a Telex handheld mike pluged into it. If ATC has trouble hearing my primary radio, I swing my headset mike up out of the way and transmit on the backup while receiving on the primary. Surprisingly I get no feedback when doing this and ATC can hear the backup com better sometimes. I fly IFR occasionally, if I feel I have options assuming conditions are worse than expected so the second com is a necessity for me. John

Plenty of comm issues in various rental and training aircraft.

I opted for 1 GTR 200 for cost/weight/simplicity in my 7 with no regrets. Plenty of IFR flying and never wished for a second radio, I also left out the V/Loc with no regrets.

I would have been happy to have a Nav/Comm with 2nd frequency monitoring and call it good, but garmin doesn't seem to make that particular unicorn.

If I didn't care about all that stuff, and was just going with a VFR panel, I would have 100% just gone with something like a GNX375, which is an GPX/Xponder and then paired it with a GTR200B which gets 2nd frequency monitoring & a built in intercom, then gone with remote boxes for everything else.

Not saying the way I'm doing it is right and everything else is wrong, just the way I chose to go.

It is not a unicorn. Garmin sells their GNC 255. A Nav/Com with the ability to monitor the standby Com freq.

There are lost com procedures for IFR, and VFR. 7600 (NOT 7700).

How many people can you talk to at one time? One. With many modern COM radios they are 1.5 transceivers. They have one transmitter and two receivers, so you can monitor standby. You know that right? Radios (ICOM and others) have a standby monitor feature along with built in Intercom. I would say the ability to monitor two Freqs is really nice and a must IFR.

Most COMS are reliable. 37 yrs flying and counting one "COM Failure".

How much money, weight, DRAG panel real estate do you want to dedicate to this redundancy.

Two transmitters you will NEED two Com antennas (and weight for coax and drag for antenna).

* Backup for me is a handheld (if I choose to charge it up and carry it that day). Handhelds are cheap and many manufactures got the memo, have full sized headset Mic/Ear jacks in the radio. Using a Handheld radio's built in speaker and mic in a loud cockpit, is futility.

* If you want to get fancy with a handheld, make a "service break" in the coaxial from your #1 panel COM that is accessible in flight. You can twist off the BNC connector and patch it to your handheld's antenna jack to used the external antenna. This will help range. Those small "rubber duckie" antennas are not efficient, especially inside cockpit, with lower transmit power typical of handhelds. Don't expect long range communication for a true backup COM using the tiny rubber duck antenna. Also the ability to wire the handheld audio into the audio panel (or direct to headset), as well as external antenna can make it a viable backup. Don't forget plugging the handheld into ships power as well. Handhelds are lower power (2 Watts vs 5 to 10 Watts typical for panel radios). Many ultralights, LSA's and EAB planes have a handheld as their primary and only COM.

Seriously it is up to you. No one can tell you what color to paint your plane or how many COM (transceivers) radios to have.

I have had one true lost COM, radio dead lost COM, not out of range lost COM, in +35 yrs of flying. I squawked 7600, entered the pattern at a towered airport, looking for the flashing green followed by the solid green. Did not see the light nor did I see a red light or other planes. So I landed. I telephoned the tower after I got tied down. They said it worked like a charm. They could see me coming on their ARTCC scope. This plane had ONE COM, and I flew it "light" IFR commuting between two airports. I had to ask permission to leave Frequency to get ATIS on occasion during routine operations. Yes I also only had one NAV, VOR/LOC/GS. I still had a handheld but it's useless unless you have it connected to a headset. I had an "in the ear" earpiece I shoved into the full headset. So it was a jury rig... All planes I flew after had 2 COMS (before they made radios with Standby monitor). Now I only have one radio (with standby monitor) in my RV. I still carry my handheld however just for grins sometimes, but not always.

Last edited:
Building an RV allows us to apply all the lessons we've learned over previous years. Whether any of that previous experience actually applies to an RV is another thing altogether. I'm considering whether I want one or two COMM radios in my -8. The limited acreage of an -8 panel is playing a part, pushing me towards either only one COMM, or two tiny ones.

In my 8 1/2 years of AF flying, nothing I flew had more than one COMM radio, and I never had a radio issue.

In my 32+ years of airline flying, nothing had less than two COMM radios, and I can recall maybe 2-3 times when we used #2.

There is no absolutely right answer here, but I'd be interested in your thought process in whatever choice you made. In particular, if you've had a radio failure and suffered (with only one radio) or triumphed (because you had two) radios.

As an absolute minimum, I would have one radio that incorporates a monitor feature. If you’re planning on flying any formation and planning on leading, two radios is a must (one for ATC and one for inter-plane).

You didn’t say what kind of panel you’re doing. If you’re doing a G3X you can have your radios, remotely mounted to save the space on the panel. If it were me, I would have one remotely mounted, accessible via the G3X and another one panel mounted. A 2 1/4” Becker will fit almost anywhere. Yes, they are a little more expensive than other small radios, but their performance is better.

It is not a unicorn. Garmin sells their GNC 255. A Nav/Com with the ability to monitor the standby Com freq.

I’ve been using said single radio unicorn with a handheld backup the last six years. I used the ILS once for real, and only because it helped the crosswind component vs. the available GPS approach. So my next panel is only going to have a 200b, with funds going to better GPS navigation.

With many modern COM radios they are 1.5 transceivers. They have one transmitter and two receivers, so you can monitor standby. You know that right? ….

Actually, most set-ups have just one receiver, which is rapidly switched back and forth between the two frequencies. If there is a signal on the primary frequency, the receiver locks onto that one, and only that one.
I envy those for whom this is useful. In this area, approach, and often my home tower, are so busy that the standby frequency comes up for only a second or two at a time. Picking up ATIS means listening for ten minutes or more, until you’ve heard it all, a fragment at a time. OTOH with an actual second receiver, it’s easy to listen to both simultaneously. The human brain is very good at listening to one source (say ATIS) while monitoring a second (say, approach). And if you hear your call sign, instantly switching your focus.

Single comm

I think this is a really good setup. Standby freq gives you 90% of the real-world usefulness of a second comm.

One advantage of a single comm is not having to install an audio panel. This really simplifies the wiring.
My Garmin GTR 200B comm lets you listen to the standby freq, has a good intercom and has Bluetooth.

Yup

But make sure you have enough battery power in that handheld to TRANSMIT and not just listen. Ask me how I discovered this important distinction. :D

Dave

I chose to mount my (single) comm antenna just forward of the spar, between my legs, so in the event of a radio failure, I can use a handheld and directly connect it via BNC to the real airband-tuned antenna.

I chose to mount my (single) comm antenna just forward of the spar, between my legs, so in the event of a radio failure, I can use a handheld and directly connect it via BNC to the real airband-tuned antenna.

Ryan, that looks like a darn good idea, moreover it also saves making a hole in the spar. Thanks for posting.

I chose to mount my (single) comm antenna just forward of the spar, between my legs, ........

You will just need to be careful getting out after each flight that your heels don’t hit it. Hopefully it it aft enough.

I did exactly the same thing on my RV6 build for the same reason. I carry a Sportys handheld as a backup. My antenna is mounted further left, similar to the RV14 location - less likely to be bumped with my foot getting in or out of the cockpit. Make sure you turn off your primary radio before unplugging the antenna BNC. You wouldn’t want to inadvertently touch your PTT with your primary radio on, and that antenna unplugged.

As I believe someone else mentioned, I like to keep my iPhone charged up with ATC and tower numbers stored inside.

The iPhone is Bluetooth connected to my Bose A20 headset, so if the COMM units ever go out, I can at least call the tower, 911, or the like and explain things over the phone. Not 100% foolproof perhaps (or as versatile as an additional COMM), but it's 100% independent from the aircraft's electronics and inexpensive backup insurance.

-PandaCub

Clay,
I have the g3x system with the GTR 200 radio - panel mounted. I only have 50 hours of my time on it but I have never touched the panel mounted radio. It is so much easier to just use the g3x screen. I dont know if your system would support 2 remote radios, but if I ever add a second, it will be remote for sure.
Have fun!

Actually, most set-ups have just one receiver, which is rapidly switched back and forth between the two frequencies. If there is a signal on the primary frequency, the receiver locks onto that one, and only that one.
I envy those for whom this is useful. In this area, approach, and often my home tower, are so busy that the standby frequency comes up for only a second or two at a time. Picking up ATIS means listening for ten minutes or more, until you’ve heard it all, a fragment at a time. OTOH with an actual second receiver, it’s easy to listen to both simultaneously. The human brain is very good at listening to one source (say ATIS) while monitoring a second (say, approach). And if you hear your call sign, instantly switching your focus.
I don't get what you are saying? So lets not get pedantic about the electronic architecture. You say it is one receiver switching back and forth really fast? OK. Great. Yes you can monitor the standby, period end of story while monitoring Active Freq. However you are saying the primary has priority and will over ride the standby? Yes that is true. I don't get the point.

I suppose your point is if you had TWO transceiver's you can listen to two audio inputs mixed "simultaneously"? My brain can't handle that. Yes you can listen to ATIS and hear ATC (which you will "tune out" and ignore ATC if not directed at you). However trying to listen to two conversations at same time, we can agree to disagree. I don't think two radios gives a big advantage here. A radio with standby monitor (regardless how the software or one or two RF receivers). I fly planes with 5 radios. Yes sometimes have the second VHF on 121.5 or 123.45 and so on. Also VHF 1 and 2 have antennas on top and bottom respectively. That comes into play more with ground/tower contact at a large airport when tucked deep into the bowls of the terminal concourse. When it's time to listen to ATIS one pilot stays on ATC and the other will focus on ATIS (or contacting company or other).

Flying a little RV solo if I have to listen to ATIS more than once to get it all, so be it. The introduction of the standby monitor on COMS is great, regardless if one receiver switching super fast or two receivers.

As I said above I flew with one King KX175B nav/com "light" IFR for years commuting between two airports (less than 50 miles). I would just excuse my self from ATC for 30 seconds to listen to ATIS or ask if they had it. This was PRE standby monitor radios. Same with one NAV receiver (pre GPS). If I needed an intersection for stepdown on LOC I would switch to VOR and back to LOC. Yes I did that, and it was not difficult. Was it ideal? No but it was safe. IFR only requires Avionics required for navigation and approaches intended for use. There is nothing that prevents you switching back and forth. With GPS of course this is all moot.

As I believe someone else mentioned, I like to keep my iPhone charged up with ATC and tower numbers stored inside.
-PandaCub
Good point. Now I see a reason for headset or audio panel with BT to phone. Same with handheld radio using speaker and mic built, in loud cockpit, useless. Same with a phone.

Last edited:
I

I suppose your point is if you had TWO transceiver's you can listen to two audio inputs mixed "simultaneously"? My brain can't handle that. .

Yes, that was the point. And, I'll bet your brain can handle it, give yourself some credit. Garmin's latest audio panels make this even easier, by bringing com 1 to your left ear, com 2 to your right, if you select both. And, it's just plain easier than making 5 calls to ATC, asking to leave the frequency (the first 4 got stepped on) to get the ATIS, and then another 5 to report back on. Why add to the frequency congestion when you don't have to?

Yes, that was the point. And, I'll bet your brain can handle it, give yourself some credit. Garmin's latest audio panels make this even easier, by bringing com 1 to your left ear, com 2 to your right, if you select both. And, it's just plain easier than making 5 calls to ATC, asking to leave the frequency (the first 4 got stepped on) to get the ATIS, and then another 5 to report back on. Why add to the frequency congestion when you don't have to?
I edited my previous post but to repeat. To your scenario, OK. Not a big deal. Do as I did when I flew with one radio and no other way to monitor a second Freq at all. Ask ATC for ATIS or ask to go off Freq for 30 seconds to get ATIS. Of course this is en-route not on initial or final approach. I just am not flying into airspace IFR in my RV with this kind of heavy ATC radio traffic. I am usually the only eagle in the sky.

So lets not get pedantic about the electronic architecture. You say one receiver switching back and forth really fast? OK. But the net result is effectively monitoring TWO Frequency with Active overriding standby, which you want it to do.

Picking up ATIS means listening for ten minutes or more, until you’ve heard it all, a fragment at a time.
That is a bit of stretch, 10 minutes? OK point taken but I'll reject it. :D. If I am having that much problem with ATC radio traffic and ATIS I will say unable ATIS, look at my ADS-B WX METAR, or ask for ATC to give it to me. The debate is, is it worth having TWO full radios with all the weight and drag? Up to you. I say no.

actual second receiver, it’s easy to listen to both simultaneously. The human brain is very good at listening to one source (say ATIS) while monitoring a second (say, approach).
Humans are great at listening to two conversations at same time? We can agree to disagree. Most humans can't listen to one conversation much less two. Ha ha. I have the brain power to do it, but it's not ideal and I could miss something. You can miss ATC calls or important ATC information if you are engrossed with ATIS information. I know I flew solo with two radios for years, Part 135. Sure, if ATC is not talking to you, you "tune it out". I do that all day. ATC is calling everyone and their Grandmother. I am talking to the other pilot, jump seater or flight attendant. You ignore ATC. As soon as you hear your flight number you are all ears. Selective listening. I get your point, but I also like keeping my RV light and fast. One COM is good enough. I would not criticize anyone for opting for two full Transceivers.

I can multitask. I just think this not really relevant to the discussion of one or two radios. In a two crew plane, if I need to listen to ATIS (or call Company) I tell the FO to get it while I stay on ATC. In a RV solo operation I do have to listen to Unicom/Multicom/traffic/ATC (VFR or IFR) and yes ATIS/AWOS at same time. Not hard. This is where thinking ahead and getting ATIS/AWOS early not late when time is compressed is key.

Last edited:
Back