What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Square LED indicator lights - sourcing

maus92

Well Known Member
I'm trying to source square LED indicator lights to use as Master Caution, Master Warning, Fuel Pump, (etc.) I'd like the labeling to be on/in the lens itself, and not on the panel. Any suggestions? I thought I saw something on Spruce, but I can't seem to get their search engine to find it again. Thanks in advance!

And the mpja led lights have pop off colored lens allowing easy internal legends. Besides they are very inexpensive...

Another vote for the mpja lights - we have them on all our planes - they are LED's that last forever, and are already configured to work on 12 volts. We print the nomenclature on clear label material, pop the clear lens off the lamp, stick the label to the colored background, stick the lens back on, and it looks factory made.

Paul

I like the Honeywell indicators. I made up my status panel using those. They have replacable lamps that can be either incandesant or LED. The lense cover can be engraved for a few bucks at www.aircraftengravers.com. Also you have the choice of lense color. They are a little large but to have the legend on the indicator it has to be somewhat larger.

For my DYNON SkyView master "Alarm" light I used two (One each for pilot/co-pilot) of these ACS Square Panel Light and replaced the incandescent bulb with a Midget LED bulb. Just beware of the polarity when wiring the square panel light.

Then I used a Brother Label Maker (Black ink on Clear tape) for the lettering. You can buy the more common lettering from ACS as an accessory (55 cents each) if you don't have a label machine with the correct tape. All in all a professional look and the LED should last longer than the airplane.

YSV15DME_zpsb39639b4.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
The 24x18mm "legend lights" sold by Aircraft Spruce for $15 are manufactured by EAO, part number 31-040.005. If you order them from a distributor like Newark or Allied Electronics, the indicator housing is about $6.50 and the lens another dollar or two. So if you are planning to use a bunch of these, you might be able to save a few bucks. I'm currently using several of these along with their 18x18mm square cousin, P/N 31-050.005.

mcb

The 24x18mm "legend lights" sold by Aircraft Spruce for $15 are manufactured by EAO, part number 31-040.005. If you order them from a distributor like Newark or Allied Electronics, the indicator housing is about $6.50 and the lens another dollar or two. So if you are planning to use a bunch of these, you might be able to save a few bucks. I'm currently using several of these along with their 18x18mm square cousin, P/N 31-050.005.

mcb

Good information to know.

BTW since the LED's are so much brighter than the little incandescent bulb, I added some semi-opaque white tape to the inside of the "legend lights". Now they have about the same intensity and are controlled by the same resistor as my other panel lights.

:cool:

Another vote for the mpja lights - we have them on all our planes - they are LED's that last forever, and are already configured to work on 12 volts. We print the nomenclature on clear label material, pop the clear lens off the lamp, stick the label to the colored background, stick the lens back on, and it looks factory made.

Paul

What label material do you you or recommend?

Back