What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Trim Indicator problems

Andy Hill

Well Known Member
Helping with a ~2008 RV-8 issue. Has Electric & Aileron trim, both still work, but the Elevator indicator (LED Bars) has stopped working.

As you operate the trim there is a little flickering on some of the bars (as does the aileron indicator), but the solid bar indicating the trim position no longer displays.

Any help in knowing where to start looking (Indicator? Trim Controller? Trim Motor?) and/or a link to online instructions would be much appreciated. I'm assuming it is the standard Vans kit...

Yep, they will do that.

IIRC, there was an issue with a bad ground trace on the circuit board, or the soldering of the wire to it-----

Try pushing on the face of the indicator and see if that makes it come on.

See this

Have a look at this post :

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82823

I had also this happening to me, the conditions stated in the above post are still valid.
I replaced my aileron indicator last week.
I choose not to send back the inoperative indicator and got a new indicator for 45$ plus 15$ shipping to France.
Dealing with Scott at Ray Allen was straightforward, in my initial e-mail I quoted the above post.

Seems only european builders got the faulty indicators, one in Norway, one in France and now England ;)

Thanks for the above...

Mike's post made me go out and check. In fact it was not that, but took the Elevator Trim plate off and there was a broken wire (orange one) into a connector by the actuator. Hooked that up and it works :D Now just need to repair it properly, and secure the light wires v heavy connectors used to stop it happening again...

Back