What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eis4000 HXr fuel flow/consumption calibration

walkman

Well Known Member
I continue to struggle with the calibration of my fuel flow.

I have noticed that the fuel used on each leg in the log book does not add up to the difference between the tank capacity and the displayed fuel remaining.

I was using the sum of the fuel burn on each leg of the log book compared to the amount pumped at each fill as the basis for calibration, since this has 1 decimal place of sensitivity and the fuel remaining is an integer.

What's going on?

Either something isn't right with the way I'm calculating fuel burn, or my tanks aren't really 38 gals

Calibration

I calibrated mine in accordance with the manual, using about 100 gal. IIRC. After calibration, my "fuel remaining" plus the fuel pumped at fill up consistently comes out within 1 to 2 tenths of a gallon on a typical 20-25 gal. fill up. That's close enough for me!:D

Yea, thats the accuracy I had with the EI gauge in there before.

At last fill up I was off by almost 3 gallons.

The logbook only records time spent with a ground speed over 25 knots, and only the fuel burned during this time. You need to add in fuel used duing start, taxi, runup, start of the takeoff run, taxi after landing, etc.

Ah, that could be part of it. I'm guessing I could approach 3 gals on a couple of long taxiis. Thanks

So if I have 4 flights each with 2x5,000 taxi plus one run up each in between fills I would be in that range.

Use the GRT procedure

I think it is best to use the GRT calibration procedure
http://www.grtavionics.com/documents/fuel flow - EI FT-60.pdf

May be this will not give accurate results when comparing logbook entries and fuel used but at least you will have correct results when reading the remaining fuel on the EIS.
Mine is accurate to 1liter (approxim. 1/4 gallon) which is enough for me.
I only compare fuel used versus logtime to make a rough check that everything remains logical without too much discrepancy. As pointed in the other contributions there are a few variables in log time : run up time (depending on OAT), taxi-time, number of flights a day.....
Just my 0,02cts

Follow GRT's procedure ...

I calibrated my tank sending units by adding a gallon at a time, and using the EIS 4000 readings in the fuel set-up table. I then double checked the fuel flo totalizer over 100 gallons of consumption as recommended. I'm within 0.4 gal the vast majority of time.

Back