What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building With a Deadline

RPorter

Dont get me wrong, I've really enjoyed the Eagles Nest project. But building with a deadline has been very stressful, especially when that deadline is Oshkosh.We workd every Tuesday and Thursday for arond 3 hours, and some Saturdays.

Heres what we have left to do.

We have most of the wiring to do, most of the canopy, half of the fuel tank, avionics still arent here, and the engine is about halfway through prep. What I would like some advice on is how a) you've coped with a tight deadline regarding airplane building and b) what you think I should do. Seem to be in a tight spot, help would be appriciated.

Work more hours or extend the deadline. More hands probably won't help here. Then there's the matter of getting the equipment you need (avionics) and leaving enough time for unanticipated issues and flying off the test period. I expect it can be done but probably not on 6-10 hour weeks.

Back in the good old days, a young Flight Director launched a Saturn V into a mass of clouds and Apollo 12 was hit by lightning. The entire spacecraft electrical system blinked off and reset. They made it into their parking orbit, and had two Orbits to decide if the spacecraft was healthy enough to commit to the Trans-Lunar Insertion maneuver. It was a stressful decision, because if they decided not to go, the entire mission was over, the Saturn V and all of the equipment for the lunar landing would have been spent for nothing. The crew would be fine of course, either way.

As the Flight Director was pondering this incredible decision, his boss walked up behind him, put his hand the Flight Director's shoulder, and said "young man, you do NOT have to go to the moon today". Just like that, half the equation was nullified - they'd go if they were confident, and wouldn't if not.

What you probably need to realize is that almost all stress is self-induced, as is most "launch pressure". You'll fly when it's ready, and that will probably be a Tuesday. All airplanes will be ready to fly on Tuesday.....

We'll see you at KOSH with or without the -12, and I look forward to it.

"Iron"

Last edited:
Back in the good old days, a young Flight Director launched a Saturn V into a mass of clouds and Apollo 12 was hit by lightning. The entire spacecraft electrical system blinked off and reset. They made it into their parking orbit, and had two Orbits to decide if the spacecraft was healthy enough to commit to the Trans-Lunar Insertion maneuver. It was a stressful decision, because if they decided not to go, the entire mission was over, the Saturn V and all of the equipment for the lunar landing would have been spent for nothing. The crew would be fine of course, either way.

As the Flight Director was pondering this incredible decision, his boss walked up behind him, put his hand the Flight Director's shoulder, and said "young man, you do NOT have to go to the moon today". Just like that, half the equation was nullified - they'd go if they were confident, and wouldn't if not.

What you probably need to realize is that almost all stress is self-induced, as is most "launch pressure". You'll fly when it's ready, and that will probably be a Tuesday. All airplanes will be ready to fly on Tuesday.....

We'll see you at KOSH with or without the -12, and I look forward to it.

"Iron"
Paul, now that is a great story worth hanging on to.

Ross, do what you can and be proud of your accomplishment. No one will think any less of you no matter what happens.

As far as practical advice on what to do, I agree that if you wish to achieve your goal in the time frame you have set maybe you should devote more time for longer sessions each time you meet. What about writing out those tasks on a "task board" in your shop for everyone to keep track of. Use it to set smaller deadlines to meet rather than the overall big deadline of Oshkosh. Plug away at each individual deadline one at a time and keep a visual running total of the work left to do.

Well, I think there will be an Oshkosh in 2013 and rather than rushing you could reset your goal and make that trip different for next year.
I think aviation (or space programs) don't live well with deadline pressure. Pondering the decisions, cancelling, diverting, sometimes making U-turns are inherent to the job and are great things to be taught to the next generation.
I'm not from the US and don't really know how the Eagles Nest projects are run but maybe having those young people involved in the decision making process could be of great value to them.

My 0,02 cts

PS : Paul said all planes will be ready to fly on Tuesday, this was the case for Junior's first flight on December 10th 2011 which was a special Tuesday, being the fifth Tuesday of that week. That day was very special as it was also the third Thursday of the same week, as I always knew my plane would make it's first flight on a Thursday.
Let's say he flew on Tuesaturday and I flew on Thursaturday. :p
Anyway, fly safe

Last edited:
Back