What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage before Wings?

jonbo

Hi! Are there any issues with starting a fuselage kit before the wing kit. I will still complete the empennage first.

The only potential problem I can think of is the spar carry through. I miked my spars and made spacers on the lath to use to set the inside width of the carry through. I used spar plus .004” and it worked very well for a snug fit.

Will the spars be square with the fuse axis ?

I have no experience with pre-punched assembly. But I do know very small changes at the fuse spar bulkhead can yield significant variance in wing tip forward/ rearward sweep and tip to tail triangulation. The rear carry through location also affects bolt edge clearance tolerance and wing incidence achievable.

You might want to mock-up two wings with spars and some “rib like”spacers to assure these criteria before riveting the spar bulkhead and carry through pieces.

I do coaching and advice for new builders over here.

My suggestions these days are as follows.

Order the empennage which arrives quickly.

Order flat pack wings and at the same time, or as soon as possible, order the QB fuselage.

Plenty of work to do in the long lead time of the QB fuselage. The advantage is - just as you are suffering the inevitable 'build fatigue', along comes this wonderful thing you can sit in and make aeroplane noises :D;)

I did

I did this for my project and have not run into any issues yet. I pick up a vans QB fuselage that someone canceled and they had ready for shipping right away a few years ago. The biggest issue is making sure you have storage space.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips! Great advice. I ordered the empennage about 4 months ago when it was still a 4 month wait (now vans says 8) so I'm still going to do that first. I'm really excited to get started.

Fuse before wings

No constraints other than assembling the center section. Make some spacers or buy Buller dies. Mine were .004 wider than the wing spars. Wings fit perfect.
The only small concern is skills. The manual gets pretty sparse after wings. It's assumed you know obvious steps. Read way ahead.

No constraints other than assembling the center section. Make some spacers or buy Buller dies. Mine were .004 wider than the wing spars. Wings fit perfect.
The only small concern is skills. The manual gets pretty sparse after wings. It's assumed you know obvious steps. Read way ahead.

That's a really good note about the manual. Would you feel confident going from Empennage to Fuselage with what you'd learned from the Empennage manual and completing that part of the kit? Assuming reading ahead and being extra extra careful?

The manual gets pretty sparse after wings. It's assumed you know obvious steps. Read way ahead.

This actually isn't the case with the -8 manual. The wing sections are pretty sparse, but the fuselage has the same sort of detailed checklist layout seen with the empennage.

Now once you get to the finish kit, that's when things start to get fun again.

I built my fuselage first. Vans sent the Longeron stock in a 16 foot long PVC tube with the fuse box

One thing that may be worth considering is how you'll store the fuselage while you're building the wings. Might be easier to store the wings while building the fuselage.

Dave

Extra Longeron

Buy extra Longerons. Just quoted $992 to ship from OR to VA. $27 part add 2 extra to your order. If you don’t need them, someone else will. Worst case is having extra aluminum angle

For the longerons, if you live near an aircraft supply store, you can order it from it instead of paying extra for shipping across the country from Vans. Aircraft Spruce is in Fort Worth but there are other local suppliers that will special order for you. In the RV8, it is just the standard 1/8" aluminum angle channel. The cost to replace the longerons for me was the price of the metal + about $12 of gas.

For the longerons, if you live near an aircraft supply store, you can order it from it instead of paying extra for shipping across the country from Vans. Aircraft Spruce is in Fort Worth but there are other local suppliers that will special order for you. In the RV8, it is just the standard 1/8" aluminum angle channel. The cost to replace the longerons for me was the price of the metal + about $12 of gas.

I order from onlinemetals.com. I'm fortunate enough to live in Seattle so can do will call pickup. But I'm guessing their shipping isn't as astronomical as the quote from an earlier poster.

Back