What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static system installation

benjam

Evening all.

I am beginning to install the static ports and system in the rear of my build.

Although I can follow the stick diagram from Dynon, I can’t conceive of what the tubing will look like when installed.

Any piccies of what you did, please?

Static ports

Ben,

I can take some pics next time I’m at the airport. Send me a PM to remind me and I can forward pictures thru the forum or direct to your e-mail if you prefer.

Oly

this is what it looked like after I finished replacing the tubing and the ports a couple of months ago. Not Dynon specific though. Y manifold feeds a single line going to the panel for further distribution.

Location of, and the ports themselves, are important, plenty of threads on here treating the subject...

Attachments

• sta.JPG
    sta.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 326
In your photo, isn't that a water trap on the left side of the aircraft, from the Y the line going over to the right side? Makes a loop that water will stay in.

I used the Dynon kit. The Y Connection location is higher than in the picture above. The Y Connection also lines up with the longeron for routing.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 249
I put the "Y" at the top. My recollection is that the pressure distribution in a pipe is linear from the two ports if at different pressures, so if in a slip, the midpoint would theoretically be the average of the two. Also, it's a lot harder to get trapped water in the ports...

Attachments

• IMG_4939a.jpg
    IMG_4939a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 182
Here's what I dug out of my build log.

Static ports installed. I'm using the fancy milled ones instead of the factory blind-rivet setup:
img_1465-1024x768.jpg

First bit of tubing installed. The ADAHRS mount will be on the main longerons just forward of this bulkhead, so the T fitting is low on the port side and points forward:
img_1487-1024x768.jpg

Final setup with the ADAHRS mount in place:
img_1574-1024x768.jpg

Well, maybe not quite final. Before closing up the aft fuselage, I added a cable tie mount and attached the static line. This routes it a bit more positively and keeps it off the side skin. Overkill? Maybe, but that's a recurring theme with my build...

I don't have a great photo of that final bit of routing but maybe this will give the general idea:
img_2557-768x1024.jpg

Back