What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spanish pilot plans around the world flight in RV-8

If he parks up at S'n'F for 5 days to display his -8, that's going to ruin his speed, if the article is indeed accurate.

AIUI, on an FAI RTW run, the clock never stops. You go wheels up at LAX and head west, and it's running until you touch down again a week or so later.

And C-1b isn't under 1500Kg, it is under 1,000Kg MTOW...

EDIT: Just looked at his website, he as a belly-mounted drop tank fitted to his RV-8.....And it is jettisonable!!

Last edited:
Where is Michel's website

KR,
I could not find Michel Gordillo's website. Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
Steve

Pretty cool. Actually his route will be pretty cold but I do not know how the route qualifies as a "around the world" flight. He barely gets into the Southern Hemisphere.

Pretty cool. Actually his route will be pretty cold but I do not know how the route qualifies as a "around the world" flight. He barely gets into the Southern Hemisphere.

This will be his third trip around the world and is planned as a pole to pole. I think the map is a previous trip. The polar route makes sense if he is gathering particulate data, as there is minimal mass flow between the hemispheres and most (vast majority) of the emissions are in the northern hemisphere. There are certainly better ways already in play to measure such things, but bravo to him for this adventure.

Funny comment on the effort - "Fight Climate Change" = burn fuel. I like it. I am looking forward to fighting it too.

Where he's going this time....hopefully!

World-Routing.png

Keep us updated!

I am enjoying these updated write ups of the flight legs. May good weather and good hosts prevail for the last few thousand miles.

Last edited:
South Pole

Today Michel Gordillo flew over the south pole in his RV-8.
The flight originated at the italian Mario Zucchelli Station (south of Tasmania) and landed at the argentinian Mariambo station (south of Argentina).
The 4600 km (2500 NM) was completed in 21 hours.
Congrats.
SouthPole.JPG

sounds right.

No, that sounds about right. The fuel burn from a 190-195 Hp. IO-360 that we use is around 5.5 or so down at 115-120 Nm./Hr. as lean as you can stand it. Our power meter shows around 42% at that set point. We don't always have to be at 75% or above to look at the sights. I think he is in the medal of the grove with this figure. Nice to see it happening, Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Skis

Michel's RV-8 is equipped with skis for the South pole overflight.
He needed them to land at the italian base.
Here a report about his first crossing with skis from Tasmania to Mario Zucchelli Station (some info about speed and problems).

http://www.skypolaris.org/blog/page/8/

From his web page: "The plane has been specially modified with extra fuel tanks for long distance flying." "I will be able to carry more than 730 liters (192 US Gallons)."

Back