What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When can tanks be "permanently" attached?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
The instructions tell you to mount the tank on the spar with half of the bolts and screws just before riveting the top skins on. Does the tank have to come off again at some point, or what's the driver behind only partially installing screws and bolts?

The instructions tell you to mount the tank on the spar with half of the bolts and screws just before riveting the top skins on. Does the tank have to come off again at some point, or what's the driver behind only partially installing screws and bolts?

They're going to go on and off for fitting the wings to the fuselage and other operations. The temporary install before riveting the top skins helps keep the spar straight. Using half the fasteners just makes it easier to take back off.

Short answer is never.
They need to be removable to fix leaks and problems.
Unless you mean to attach them for the last time before flying.
I seen pictures of a guy who pop riveted his tanks on. BAD idea.
Art

They're going to go on and off for fitting the wings to the fuselage and other operations. The temporary install before riveting the top skins helps keep the spar straight. Using half the fasteners just makes it easier to take back off.

Gotcha. Thanks! I was pondering riveting on the bottom skins and just finishing up the wings before moving on to the fuselage (still waiting on the fuselage), but if I have to be able to take the tanks on and off, I'm guessing that's a whole lot easier without the bottom skins on.

Short answer is never.
They need to be removable to fix leaks and problems.
Unless you mean to attach them for the last time before flying.
I seen pictures of a guy who pop riveted his tanks on. BAD idea.
Art

Yeah, I was just curious if it made sense to go ahead and install all screws and bolts and torque it all down right now and call it "done," but if the tank has to come off before the plane is done, then I get why only putting some of the hardware in place temporarily is the way to go.

Dinosaur Tanks

There was a "scratch" builder in Bakersfield, CA - Steve Ward, who built his tanks into the wing from the beginning. No "screw ons" for Steve! He was building before there was a complete set of kit parts to use, so Steve just built off the plans, making "adjustments" as needed!

Pretty impressive - flew just fine.

HFS

Way back in 2004 when I built my -8 from a Quick Build kit (wings and fuselage), the tanks came attached to the wings, and I never once took them off - didn’t need to for fitting wings to fuselage, or for anything else for that matter. Just checked the torque on all the Z-fitting bolts, and moved on. 2090+ hours later, they have never been off.

That’s just a data point for the OP, and I can’t speak to any differences between the -8 and the -9….. but the same thing was true for the QB wings on our -3…..

Paul

Last edited:
You can pull a tank on 9/9A in a couple hours, it sure makes it easier to access the fuel sender plate, and it will be required if you are trying to seal leaks that need access to the rear baffle. There are 21 bolts through the spar into the Z-brackets, and about umpteen skin screws and it will pop right off.

Back