What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Outer leading edge rivets

hohocc

Well Known Member
I'm about to attach the outer leading edges to the spar but have been unable to find any reference to whether the rivet holes in the skins are dimpled or countersunk, and depending on what happens to the skin holes, whether the holes in the spar are dimpled or countersunk.
Can anybody enlighten me?
Thanks.

Dimpled

Those rivets are dimpled on my 6A wings. The skins are .025. I also dimpled the spar flanges to match the skins.

Same here, dimpled. If it can be dimpled instead of countersunk, do it. makes for a stronger joint and less risk of screwing up a countersink. 0.040 is generally about the max you can dimple.

Since you are on the wings, one area to be careful when dimpling is the rear spar flange, you can inadvertently bend the flange with the tool since it is >90 degrees.

Same here, dimpled. If it can be dimpled instead of countersunk, do it. makes for a stronger joint and less risk of screwing up a countersink. 0.040 is generally about the max you can dimple.

Since you are on the wings, one area to be careful when dimpling is the rear spar flange, you can inadvertently bend the flange with the tool since it is >90 degrees.

Sounds like me. Dimple everything that you can and only countersink what cannot be dimpled. (I do countersink when the plans call for countersinking pieces that I can dimple.)

Thanks folks, I've heard the rule previously of "Dimple when you can, countersink when you have to" so dimpling works for me.
Appreciate the assistance.

Back