What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky-Tec Starter Intermittent fail to engage

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I have a new Sky-Tec starter (149-12LS).

I replaced my starter at my last condition inspection because the old one had a loose solenoid. The A&P that went over my firewall forward had not seen a loose one before and suggested I replace the starter.

Now occasionally the starter contactor clicks but the starter does not engage. If I get out of the airplane and pull the prop through a few times, and then try again the starter engages. It's happening fairly often. Today it happened 300 miles away from my home field. Let me with a sinking feeling.

It's seems like if the prop is clocked just right the starter does not engage.

The old starter had no such problem. So I'm thinking its probably the starter and not something else. i.e. battery or starter contactor.

Does that sound right?

Michael-

When you hit the ignition, does the starter spin up with that winding noise? If so, I'd suspect the bendix aren't extending into the flywheel. I experienced it twice with my starter and as a fix I lubricated the shaft the bendix travels on. Haven't had a missed starter engagement since.

In addition to 'Infidel's' reply, check the power cable connections both ends. I had an issue with mine some time ago and discovered a 'dirty' connection at the starter motor. Cleaned, installed new star washer and good to go.....until I eventually changed out the starter for the NL type. (a whole other story with a number of threads to explain)

Good luck :)

Greg (2017 VAF dues PAID)

A friend had the same here on a brand new RV14 (20 hrs). They swopped the starter and problem has gone away.

Solenoid - automotive.

Michael, I had same issue with two different low time ST starters, same p/n. Replacement solenoid fixed problem. Found ST difficult to deal with. Apparenly they do not track production by serial numbers and wanted the whole starter shipped back for part replacement. IIRC the actual solenoid is an automotive part, maybe ford crown vic? ST was frusrtatingly hard to deal.with. The solenoid change is easy.
ST eventually diagnosed the solenoid failures to a "rare, unheard of" partial coil failure that gives the solenoid enough force to move the core but not enough force to drive the pinion gear into mesh with the ring gear. On the occasions when the gears align, the reduced force is enough to move the core far enough to close the conactor and it works 'perfect'.... until next time.

Last edited:
Thanks

Infidel, no spinup with winding noise. Just click of the starter contactor.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go through the voltage checks suggested by Sky-Tec website and then contact them.

I'm hoping to trade up to the NL version because I have a catto prop and with the new starter have also experienced mild kickback.

Michael-

Infidel, no spinup with winding noise. Just click of the starter contactor.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go through the voltage checks suggested by Sky-Tec website and then contact them.

I'm hoping to trade up to the NL version because I have a catto prop and with the new starter have also experienced mild kickback.

Michael-

Michael are you able to borrow a new battery? Try it before you replace the starter.

Is there some reason not to do some diagnostics? Get a VOM and check some hypotheses. Start with voltage at the battery for the baseline, then contractor - move along to the starter. Construct a long cord if you are doing this solo.

It's most likely the cheap offshore-sourced solenoid that Skytec supplied with the starter. Just go get a new 2000 Ford Crown Vic solenoid and replace it. You can change out the solenoid with the rest of the starter remaining attached to the engine. It's a $20 part, so it's not even worth the effort to remove and send the starter back for repair/replacement. Just to be clear, this is the solenoid that's attached to the starter, and not the firewall-mounted one.

Just be sure to use blue Loctite on the solenoid attach screws at reassembly. And, the hardware is metric.

Heinrich

Last edited:
Found the problem...

I went through the diagnostics described on the Sky-Tec website. Voltages were all good. So I went to take the starter off in preparation to send it back and found the gear engaged. I don't think its supposed to be engaged except while the starter is engaged.

Sending it back. Hoping to upgrade to the NL series.

Michael-

U0sxFeT.jpg

I had worked as a mechanic on VW's but also nearly anything non-US. An independent mechanic chased me down and hired me ('73). One day a Caddy was towed in - I checked - shorted breaker points. Got a new Delco set from inventory and . . . ****!! - - it still would not start. Everything was good, it should have been the points. He listened to me griping and casually said, put another set in - I thought naaaa couldn't be - but he was the best in the area, so I did it, POW- ran like a charm. I checked the new set - sure enough - shorted, new right out of the box. I learned - never assume. Haven't since.

Good job in finding the issue.

Back