What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar bar taper

hohocc

Well Known Member
I'm about to start marking up my spar bars for cutting the optional taper, and just wanted to make sure I'm reading drawing 13 correctly as to the lengths of the various tapers.
If I'm correct, W606C has a total length of 109.5, with the taper starting from 91.5, 91.5 then being the length of W606D with its taper starting at 71.25, W606E length 71.25 with taper from 52.4375, W606F length 52.4375 taper from 35.875, W606G length 35.875 taper from 22.5.
So essentially at any point outboard of 22.5 only one bar is tapered at any point, with any other bars of that length or greater being full depth.
Hope that wasn't too laborious a description, pretty sure I have it right but wanted to check before cutting metal!
Thanks!

Some builders used a table saw for a straight cut.

I didn't have one available - I used a rough cut on a band saw with a wood blade and followed up with a large vixen file.

The whole process was not too difficult and went fairly quickly.

Since the tapering is actually optional, there is no need to work to the exact line, once it's smooth and saw mark free you can stop...:)

The vixen file will leave a nice finish that only needs a Scotchbrite follow up. Bevel the edges a little so you won't have to wipe away as much blood...:(

Back