What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior paint - when?

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Any recommendations as to when to paint the interior? I’m on section 35 on the plans (doing the floors and side panels). Vans recommends painting the interior at this stage, but I was wondering if anyone regretted painting this early due to wear and tear from doing follow on construction. But it does seem like the longer you wait the more difficult it will be.

I’m planning on using Jetflex paint over Akzo primer which will be scuffed and cleaned.

Last edited:
Interior paint

I had mine painted after doing all the internal fit up of everything I possibly could do. The top forward skin was fit and drilled, but left off for interior paint and wiring. Interior panels (both removable and pop riveted ones) were left off and painted separately. This left everything as open as possible for later wiring. Once wired, the pop riveted panels were installed, and the top forward skin was riveted on.

Some additional care is required to protect the painted surfaces, like using shop towels or small carpet sections when laying tools down. Drill bits in a drill tend to become a bit scary. But, overall you kind of get used to working with “sharps” around finished appearance surfaces. I managed to make it through without scratching anything.

Good luck with your build.

I think it depends on how you want to have your paint look when you are done. Some people paint parts and then rivet them on with the rivets showing. They want that look. I didn't want to see any rivet heads. I did paint some pieces that are removable earlier on just to finish the piece. For the most part I waited as long as I thought I could. I held off installing things like the fuel vent lines, brakes & rudder pedals, air vent hoses, and the electrical.

I used the same paint combo as you are planning Azko primer and Jetflex. I scuffed the Azko with maroon scotchbrite and wiped it down with a tack cloth prior to shooting the interior. Mine actually came out pretty good. I did basically one side of the plane at a time. I climbed into the cabin and shot one side. Then I did the floor. Once that was all dry I climbed back in and shot the other side. I couldn't quite reach across the cabin and do it all in one go.

There is quite a bit of masking that is needed once you get the to be painted surfaces prepped. I mostly masked the firewall, but I wanted to paint the angle stiffeners for example. I painted doubler pieces on the firewall as well so they have to be masked around. It look quite a while to get this all completed. I painted the back pieces of the baggage area separately, but this meant I had to mask the opening that remained. Then while you are painting the interior you don't want overspray on the exterior sides or aft portion of fuselage. I taped cardboard pieces to the exterior to stop the over spray. It's quite a process.

Back