What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AntiSplat Aero Air/Oil Separator on RV-10

bhoppe2

I have the AntiSplat Aero air/oil separator on my RV-10. It is not connected to the engine exhaust. Antisplat Aero does not offer a pre-made connection for the exhaust on the RV-10. Allan does not have access to a RV-10 to make a prototype. For those of you who have connected to separator discharge to the RV-10 exhaust, please post photos showing that exhaust pipe connection…

separator

I installed the antisplat separator on my -10 with no mods. I have the Custom Aircraft exhaust and located the connection in the collector...

Not near the hangar currently, so no pix right now...

I have the AntiSplat Aero air/oil separator on my RV-10. It is not connected to the engine exhaust. Antisplat Aero does not offer a pre-made connection for the exhaust on the RV-10. Allan does not have access to a RV-10 to make a prototype. For those of you who have connected to separator discharge to the RV-10 exhaust, please post photos showing that exhaust pipe connection…

Antisplat did offer an exhaust tap for the -10 some time ago, but it was installed on a tailpipe, and in that location, it built up coke and became blocked very quickly. IIRC, some users got as little as 35 hours. A blocked exhaust tap can raise engine case pressure enough to pop out the front seal.

A tap welded into a better location, combined with a regular cleaning schedule and a safety valve, is perfectly viable. Field experience says the best location is in a cylinder's header tube, downstream of the EGT probe. My own is roughly 11" from the exhaust port.

I installed the antisplat separator on my -10 with no mods. I have the Custom Aircraft exhaust and located the connection in the collector...

Bob, what are you using as a cleaning schedule, and how much coke build are you seeing?

Attachments

• Safety Valve Drawing.jpg
    Safety Valve Drawing.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
schedule

Haven't had it in that long but checked at the last oil change, about 25 hours after it was installed. Light coking around the perimeter of the tube. It is located in an area that I can see with my borescope without removing the cowl...I will attempt to take another look today.

I do have the bypass check valve installed, as well, in the event it would get plugged.

I will post later.

Not sure if this helps but here is mine connected to my left side collector. I also have a Custom Aircraft exhaust system and used the fitting supplied from Antisplat. I have about 100 hours on it and inspected the port the other day and noticed very, very little buildup.

Attachments

• B7B311F0-5992-42C5-83AB-572B428F41A5.jpg
    B7B311F0-5992-42C5-83AB-572B428F41A5.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 197
I am familiar with the coking problem and that is why I did not connect the discharge into the exhaust. At that time (2015), Allan recommended not connecting to the exhaust on a RV-10. I think that was before he introduced his safety relief valve Kit. I am going to try a new discharge tube that extends rearward out of the cowling…no surgery on the exhaust system needed. I am chasing oil leaks. Currently, my air/oil separator discharge is directly above and cut to follow the shape of the exhaust pipe. I suspect it could be pressurizing the crankcase because the end is angled forward. I have not tried to measure crankcase pressure.

I found these:

Right tail pipe location. Pressure relief valve included. Minimal coking found at the 25 and 50 hour inspections. Possibly due to flying LOP a lot. At the observed rate of buildup I'd be comfortable with this as a 50-100 hour inspection item but it's not hard to do at every oil change. With the relief valve present, failure modes should not be catastrophic or even messy.

YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 153
Has anyone connected their separator discharge to a single cylinder exhaust on a RV-10 as Dan Horton suggests? He said his is connected about 11” from the exhaust port. That would be tricky on my RV-10. On cylinder #5 exhaust, it would probably be between 15” and 18” from the exhaust port. On cylinder #3, the connection would be about 14”-16” from the exhaust port. It looks like any single cylinder connection would have to be at the front of the collector section upstream of the muffler/heater. That is probably a wild spot from a pressure/vacuum standpoint. See photo.

I understand the logic that a single cylinder should see more fluctuation in pressure/vacuum pulses compared to the combined exhaust at the firewall. I suspect exhaust gas temperatures would be somewhat higher upstream in an individual pipe also, which may (or may not) help with the coking issue. Dan seems to have less of an issue than others do.

Any photos of alternative connection points would be appreciated. I am waiting for my parts to show up tomorrow.

Attachments

• 5872734B-DBBA-40A9-9F75-D30250F89ADD.jpeg
    5872734B-DBBA-40A9-9F75-D30250F89ADD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
Back