What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP servos and magnetometer

JKevin

Well Known Member
I am currently assisting my APIA in the installation of a Skyview system in my C172 and we have an area of disagreement. Now I know that he is the APIA and I am not, but I have installed Skyview systems in two of my EAB planes, and have assisted others in installs in six other EAB aircraft. In every install, we have taken care to locate the magnetometer in a known neutral location---generally out in a wing.

For the current Cessna install, the APIA wants to use the avionics shelf. Which is directly above the pitch servo. So the magnetometer is only separated from the pitch servo by about 3 inches and a thin piece of aluminum.

Is the Dynon servo magnetically "quiet" enough to allow this? I would love to be wrong about this... it is an otherwise ideal location.

Thanks in advance

If you haven't already, I suggest you head to the Dynon Forum and ask that question there. I've had great luck getting input from the Dynon techs within a day. Great support on their forum.

Don’t know about Dynon but the Garmin install manual says 10 feet from servo motors. Garmin has a chart and I’m sure Dynon probably has it too of distances from items such as ferrous metals, electrical devices, and wiring.

Tell him you are fine with that location, as long as he will agree to perform all the labor for free to relocate when/if that installation location turns out to be a poor one - which it will.

Gramin’s chart in case you don’t find one from Dynon.

Attachments

• 49678664-EFE3-4C8E-99BA-9E088557FFD7.jpg
    49678664-EFE3-4C8E-99BA-9E088557FFD7.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Attached is a photo of the remote Dynon component layout from a certified install. Not sure what type of aircraft. The magnetometer, which is part of the ADAHRS is stacked between the the ARINC module and the EMS on a tray that mounts behind the screen in the panel. I would think that Dynon has specific guidance on the C-172 install. So most likely you mecanic is correct. If the C-172 install calls for a remote magnetometer that it should be located someplace like the wing.

Attachments

• Dynon Certified Install.JPG
    Dynon Certified Install.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 70
Put it in the wing tip for best results

Right out of the Dynon Certified Install manual for installing the SV-MAG-236.

Dynon Avionics’ general rule of thumb is that 1 to 2 feet (30.5 cm and 61 cm) between the module and sources of magnetic fields is generally good enough, but 2 (61 cm) or more feet is better.

The servo has a motor, so it can create a magnetic field.

Put it in the wing tip for best results.

I like the previous comment, if he will fix it for free when his plan doesn’t work, then let him do what he wants. He is the one signing it off, and it is his license and reputation. Don’t do any IFR flying until you are totally convinced it is safe.

Back