What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setrab Oil Cooler Question

MK77

Well Known Member
Hi All,
My project came with a Setrab Oil Cooler mounted with the engine installation. The A&P and EAA chapter member I have take a look at my project from time to time saw it and thought it was "way to small" to do an adequate job cooling my Superior XP IO-360. Further research here on VAF suggested it can do the job but has brought up some discussion of failures in the past which was a bit concerning. I know there are many related threads on here (which I have already reviewed) but haven't seen too much posted about it since about 5 - 6 years ago so my question is: Are people still using these Setrab coolers and has there been any issues with cooling or more importantly, reports of failures of these coolers in recent years??

Thanks!
Matt

Used on a Certified ship!

I saw two of these units on my friends extreme aerobatic mount (XA42). They (2ea in this application - cooling a 580 Lycoming!) look to dang small, but he reports good temps! I know of one that exploded when the builder hooked it up wrong and popped the oil filter at the same time..

I think the filters are good for about 350psi? :-0

Carry on!
Mark

I installed a mocal (same as Setrab) 10 row on my O-320. It worked well until I installed EI. The extra advance raised the oil temps into the 220/230 range when running low MAP/High advance. A 13 row would probably have been enough. I almost stacked one behind the other, but chose to try a traditional cooler.

Larry

Started with seatrab changed to traditional

Installed a seatrab in my 4 during build 4 years ago due to cost and ability to fit in the tight quarters of a a 4's firewall forward. Mounted on back of baffle. Too small for cooling the O360 A1A. Went with traditional cooler mounted on engine mount with scat tube. Temps all good. Sometimes a great idea (outside the box) ain't such a great idea. Some of us just have to learn the hard way.

I have a 13 row Setrab mounted at 45 degree angle to the back baffle behind the number 4 cylinder on a O-320-D2J (160 HP) in our RV-4. I did replace it at engine overhaul after 13 years just because it was inexpensive to do so. The second one has been in service for seven years. The Setrab is quite compact and the 45 degree turn is efficient for air flow. With 6-7 quarts in the sump, temps run cool overall and I use restrictor plates on the round intake hole on the back baffle to keep temps around 180 degrees F. I have a summer plate and a winter plate to adjust intake area. In hindsight, a 10 row would likely have been sufficient in our application; however adjustable intake area works well with the larger cooler. It may be easier to install a larger cooler and then experiment with intake flow (or install an adjustable shutter) to achieve desired temperature than to "right size" the cooler if there is any doubt about capacity.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Hi All,
. . . thought it was "way to small" to do an adequate job cooling my Superior XP IO-360. . . .
Thanks!
Matt

I installed a mocal (same as Setrab) 10 row on my O-320. It worked well until I installed EI. The extra advance raised the oil temps into the 220/230 range when running low MAP/High advance. A 13 row would probably have been enough. I almost stacked one behind the other, but chose to try a traditional cooler.
Larry

I don't have experience, but have looked at the performance specs. The area might be competitive, but the heat rejection saturates at a lower delta-p across the cooler (airspeed) than even the Niagara coolers. By spec (admittedly not always reliable) its heat rejection is quite a bit lower than the same form factor Niagara. You can go to the Niagara website and download the dimensions and performance specs. The 7 and 9 row can be mounted in the same openings without modifications if advance prep is made for the slightly wider 9 row.

You might check the specs against one another at 5-6-7 inches of water pressure drop across the cooler.

Update

Just to update this thread with additional information for those who may encounter it:

So far I've conducted the first two flights of my RV-7 (with the Setrab cooler). OATs at the surface were in the upper 30's to low 40's for both flights. Oil temps were around 200 - 205 in cruise at 75% power (3000' agl). Considering the low OATs this seems pretty high. I think it will get me through the winter but will probably be looking into a more capable cooler in the spring when temps increase.

Don't do anything until you have 20 to 30 hours on the engine! Temps will fall as the engine breaks in. If your CHTs are OK, but oil temps are high, then the oil cooler is suspect. If both are high the air mass flow through the cowling is suspect. I have used a 7 row Mocal on an IO-360-B2B for a while with no problem (in England, so moderate temperatures).

Pete

Yea, good point. I'll at least fly it through the winter as I log phase I hours and break-in the engine.

I have an RV6 io-360/constantspeed with one litte seatrab oil cooler. 850 hrs no problem. Been to both coasts and 3 times to florida. It is light,efficient , and durable.

Doug, do you happen to know the part number (or just the number of rows even) for your cooler?
Does your io360 have the piston oil squiters?
Thanks!

Are people still using these Setrab coolers and has there been any issues with cooling or more importantly, reports of failures of these coolers in recent years??

A single data point. I have a Setrab 50-113-7612 as a second cooler in my Pitts and it has been no problem after my 180 hours of acro and 900TTSMO.

I am replacing it only because my engine made metal and it was less expensive to replace it than rebuild it.

I will check on the exact model that I have in the next couple weeks when I decowl. Or if I can find in the documentation. I never built the plane.

06-01-2000 Setrab Oil Cooler Failure

I refuse to use a Setrab Oil Cooler on an airplane due to a failure of one back in June 01, 2000 on the 3rd flight of the airplane.

Read about it here.

I used a Setrab on a RV-6 that was completed in 1999 and has been flying since with no problems. The airplane is no longer mine, but a friend owns it. I used the cooler with some consideration. When my build partner and I (both engineers) evaluated the cooler we obtained data from the manufacturer that supported that the burst pressures were adequate and it appeared to meet the cooling requirements. We bought the version with the AN fittings incorporated in the cooler. On examination of the cooler we felt it important to support the connecting oil lines so that the lines could not induce loading to the cooler. Since we did baffle mounting of the cooler, we made sure to secure the lines with clamps to the engine nearby to the cooler and not clamp the oil lines to the engine mount or other components that did not move with the engine. When consulting Setrab factory engineering, they confirmed that this approach was absolutely necessary to prevent fatigue failure where the fittings mate to the cooler.

When the 2000 oil cooler failure occurred, we investigated to see if we should be concerned. As it turned out the failure in that cooler was at the fittings and that the lines going to and from the cooler were not secured to ensure no relative motion between the lines and the cooler. Knowing that, we decided to continue on with the Setrab cooler.

I would emphasize that the lines must be supported so that there is no relative motion between the cooler and the line, thereby inducing cyclic loading in the cooler.

Separately I spoke to SW and they indicated that they occasionally see cooler failures from installations that improperly clamp the lines. If you have baffle mounted cooler, then this is easy if you do not clamp the oil lines to the engine mount or other stationary supports. On the other hand if you mount your oil cooler on the bulkhead, be sure to secure the oil cooler lines adjacent to the oil cooler to something that does not move like the engine mount. It is critical not to induce loads to the cooler from the lines.

Seatrab Pic

2j1jzig.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello hohocc , didn't see a part # but tou can see the size and # of rows it has. Oil lines go directly to it from the rear of the motor so I can't see where any loads would introduced to it which is good. The thing is light and cools my engine oil so I feel it is better than the big heavy ones. Around 900 hrs and no problems to report.

Thanks Doug, appreciate your time getting a couple of shots of it. Good info to have when I'm into the firewall forward end.
Thanks.

Mine is the SET-110 which is a 10 row cooler, 3" wide. That one looks like a 13 row which would be the SET-113.

Matt

Matt, your earlier comments after a couple of flights suggested your cooler may be on the small side. Have you found any change after running the engine for a few hours? Have you operated in warmer weather yet? Does your engine have the piston oil squirters?
Thanks!

Setrab proline oil coolers - burst pressure and size

I was planning on using a Setrab Proline 115mm matrix 10 row for my RV-4 with an injected IO-320. Probably baffle mount. I have read through all the threads about Setrab/Mocal etc coolers and initially was alarmed about failures. However, as you can see from the link below, the burst pressure for the Proline coolers is 37 bar (about 550PSI!). Nobody seems to be concerned that what looks like a little cooler doesn't get the oil cool enough. I'm wondering about a 7 row cooler?

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Prod...VpbftCh1N2wk6EAQYASABEgIb-_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Be interested in comments.

Thanks

Chris

I was planning on using a Setrab Proline 115mm matrix 10 row for my RV-4 with an injected IO-320. Probably baffle mount. I have read through all the threads about Setrab/Mocal etc coolers and initially was alarmed about failures. However, as you can see from the link below, the burst pressure for the Proline coolers is 37 bar (about 550PSI!). Nobody seems to be concerned that what looks like a little cooler doesn't get the oil cool enough. I'm wondering about a 7 row cooler?

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Prod...VpbftCh1N2wk6EAQYASABEgIb-_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Be interested in comments.

Thanks

Chris

I had a 10 row on my IO-320. After installing EI, it could not keep the oil under 230 at altitude. I believe a 13 row may have been enough, but went to a more traditional cooler.

Larry

Wanted to post an update to this thread:
Since putting about 15 hours on the engine over the last few months my oil temps have gone down as the engine has broken in. However, spring is here and the ambient temps have come up so the oil temps I'm seeing are still about 190 - 210 in cruise. Again, this is using the 10 row Setrab cooler. CHTs are good. I'm going to check all my baffling, make sure it is all well sealed with no leaks and fly a few more hours. If things don't improve I may try a 13 row.

Back