What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS skin deformed -- how bad is it?

ravenstar

Well Known Member
I don't really want to post this, but I've got to know how serious this is: I finished skinning my vertical stabilizer a couple of days ago, and following the directions clecoed everything, made sure the holes aligned and that the leading flanges on the ribs were properly radiused so as not to deform the skins. Aside from the tight fit of the skin on the skeleton everything went smoothly. Yesterday I was looking it over one more time and I noticed a small deformity around the leading starboard rivet on the VS-1205 rib. I looked inside and found that the flange had deflected slightly away from the skin so that it wasn't fully in contact with the skin. I think there had been enough play in the clecos that when I put that rivet in it wasn't obvious at the time. Anyway, there's a small ridge on the skin where the edge of the rib is pushing out, and the skin around the rivet is recessed slightly as the rivet is pulling it in towards the bent flange. I dread removing 126 or more rivets, but I'll do it if I need to. I've asked Van's for an engineering opinion, but I'd welcome your thoughts as well. Seems this has been a bad week for my build after starting out strong. I've attached a few images. It was hard to capture the surface deformity and the shadows make it look worse than it seems in real life.

Attachments

• IMG_6131.jpg
    IMG_6131.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_6138.jpg
    IMG_6138.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 585
In my opinion, fwiw, the problem is cosmetic rather than structural and not worth removing 126+ rivets to try and fix. Once it is painted it will hardly be noticeable, unless you look for it.

But it may be worth removing and replacing just that one rivet if there is access through the lightening hole to be able push the flange up to the skin with a long dowel or flat stick etc while the rivet is being pulled.

I might try resetting that single rivet, but you might cause some damage in the attempt. Build on?…another option.

In my unprofessional opinion, it is a cosmetic issue. The depression in the skin could possibly make it stronger.

I don’t think there has ever been a “perfect” airplane. Walk the line at your local airport and you’ll see much worse.

Thank you all, that is reassuring. The official view from Van's was the same. I'm sure you all know the frustration of trying to do things perfectly only to miss such a silly mistake. Thanks for your support!

Back