What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ideal Work Table Size

I found two smaller tables and a sawhorse to be a good way to go. Having one very flat 3' X 6' to 8' long to do most of your work on and then a smaller table to keep your band saw, drill press, vice, etc on. I found the table long enough to set the entire tail cone on with a portion of it hanging over and being supported by the sawhorse.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 269
Flexibility in shop layout will be key to building a RV in a single car garage. Two smaller workbenches will give you more options. 36" wide is too wide. 30" inch max. I have 2 EAA style benches with 30" wide solid core doors as tops and they work well. Rarely have I wished they were wider. You should even consider 24" wide tops. Less waste from a 4x8 sheet of plywood and very close to the dimensions of a standard kitchen counter.

My recommendation is 2 benches 24"x6'. You could configure it as a 4'x6' table or a 2'x12' table, or two separate tables.

I found two smaller tables and a sawhorse to be a good way to go. Having one very flat 3' X 6' to 8' long to do most of your work on and then a smaller table to keep your band saw, drill press, vice, etc on. I found the table long enough to set the entire tail cone on with a portion of it hanging over and being supported by the sawhorse.

Thanks....a picture is worth a thousand words :)

My tables are on industrial lockable castors so they get moved where they are needed, when needed. I’ve dismantled them when not needed. Bigger is better, mine are usually 4x8’ but I have a hangar to play in.

A little off topic but I keep a couple of folding tables tucked away. Once in awhile, I might need a bit of extra table space for a work session.

I only have a single car garage (19' x 15').

What would be a good size of table for construction.....12' x 3'??

I have a small garage too. I built 4 small tables, 2' x 4' each, with rolling wheels so they can be arranged easily in the small shop as I moved the planes around. When I need a longer table, I jointed the two smaller tables to make them into 8' combined. Another advantage is I could move the smaller table directly to the plane when needed

Lot's of good advice here. I would say, it the space is small, keep the tables small, 24" width, length as desired. Make them all the same height so they can be used together or separately. I put latches on mine to tie them together if necessary. And make sure they are on casters. The best cheap caster option I have found is the $10 furniture dollies at harbor Freight. Buy one, take off the casters and use them, throw away the rest of the dolly. Cheap and highly functional set of 4 casters.

Tim

EAA Benches

Hard to beat two EAA Benches. So many ways to move them around. Most of the time mine are in an "L" shape. Dimpling, they were side by side (4x5). Several times I needed length so they were end to end (2x10). They even had the fuse on top a few times.
Construction is personal preference. Mine have no overhang or casters. Works just fine.

I ended up doing two EAA benches on casters, and then a smaller version for my drill press and bandsaw. I did overhang on a long and short side of each standard bench, and I've used them almost every day.

still early on, but feels like I have a lot of flexibility with the casters. I think I want to build one more bench that can be used for my DRDT2 which could be configured next to, or in between my other benches as needed.

Here's the post on the workbenches

and here's one on the power tools bench

Good Luck!

I also went with the EAA benches, but no casters. That will probably change because they are HEAVY. I used 3/4" plywood with a overlay of fiberboard as a wearing surface. I got two 2x5' and one 3x4' out of one sheet each, the larger 3x4' was built the same as the smaller ones, just extrapolated the plans to the different size.

Back