What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Agitated by inferior parts

N29945

I have recently purchased an RV6A on the prebuy inspection some shimmy was noted on takeoff and landing, breakout was checked and normal, all other attach points acceptable, tire was 15 years old, tire replaced with Vietnamese tire, it could not be balanced, exchanged tire, second tire could not be balanced, exchanged tire, this tire was able to be balanced with two and one half ounces of weight, installed tire three flights, still significant shimmying, check tire, this tire is noticeably out of round, these tires came from Van’s........
Is there a preferred replacement for a larger tire and rim, what are the preferred manufacturers and tire size that will fit in the nose wheel fork?
I think the tire manufacturer of the smaller tires needs to stick to wheel barrels
I have inflated the nose tire, from 25 PSI UP through 40 PSI
I think there must be a bad batch of 11 x 4.00 - 5 8 PR tires from Vietnam

Jim Skinner
2021 dues paid
RV6A wants to fly

Last edited:
What pressure are you running in the nosewheel? Also, doing away with the taper bearings for ball bearings can help.

I use Dresser Monster 5.00 x 5 with no problems, don't balance them. I go through a pair in a couple hundred of hours, thousands of take-offs and landings.

Is there a preferred replacement for a larger tire and rim, what are the preferred manufacturers and tire size that will fit in the nose wheel fork?
I think the tire manufacturer of the smaller tires needs to stick to wheel barrels
I have tried from 25 PSI UP through 40 PSI
I think there must be a bad batch of 11 x 4.00 - 5 8 PR tires from Vietnam

Have had mixed results with Lamb, better results with the later Cheng Shin tires.
Another choice I've seen on some 'A' models is the Aero Classic which seem to be manufactured with a much better tire mould. This one also is HEAVY compared to the others, probably good as it would marginally move your CofG forward a bit. (Ha!)

As far as psi - I run 40 front & 45 mains with good results.

As for larger tire/wheel options, the front fork dimensions limit your choice to the stock 11-400x5 tire unless you do some major fork modifications so a bigger tire would fit, that would not work geometry wise unless you also increased the main wheel tire sizes at the same time.

Beringer has switched the 11:00x4-5 tires to the Deli brand, when I spoke to them about the change they indicated that they also got fed up with the quality of the tires they were using (Desser).
Their testing showed this tire to be well suited for the 'A' models and has consistent high quality.
http://delitire.com/website/product/s-317/

Yea it's a lawn and tractor tire but what else is new.
Not sure where to get them.

Last edited:
Nose wheel tire

I'm running the nose wheel tire that came with my kit and it was completed in 2012. I've changed the mains several times of course but I swear I can't remember ever changing the nose. It still looks new. Incidentally the aircraft has always been hangared. The plane has around 550 hours now. No shimmey except after the last annual. I found I had left one of the left main wheel nut too loose. Tightened and shimmy gone.

Beringer has switched the 11:00x4-5 tires to the Deli brand, when I spoke to them about the change they indicated that they also got fed up with the quality of the tires they were using (Desser).
Their testing showed this tire to be well suited for the 'A' models and has consistent high quality.
http://delitire.com/website/product/s-317/

Yea it's a lawn and tractor tire but what else is new.
Not sure where to get them.

Looks like ebay has them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deli-Tire-11-x-4-00-5-4Ply-/264223505736

Last edited:
I picked up a spare wheel and sent it out to anti splat and had the bearing modification done. Also purchased a new tire and tube from them and had him mount, balance, and true the tire. I didn't think I had a problem with my current wheel, but when I put the new one on it was way smoother. I even landed a bit fast a few times to "test" it. Nice and smooooth! Money well spent.

Back