What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door hinge covers

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
One of the design features of the RV-10 leaves a bit to be desired, in my opinion.

The door hinges do not seal well to the cabin and you can see daylight though them and obviously rain will enter there as well. We are using the McMaster-Carr door seals which should keep rain out of the cabin and force the rain along the gutter and out the bottom/sides of the door opening - but I'm not thrilled with this approach.

We have a couple of ideas on how to make this functionally and aesthetically better, but I wanted to check to see if anyone has pictures of what they did. I am aware of the AirWard hinges, but don't really want to go that route at this time.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I also made fiberglass pads that bridge over the hinge and create a place for a continuous seal.

Larry

This is what I did. A couple of trimmed pieces of rigid foam glued in, then McMaster self adhesive car weather stripping applied to the entire door. If memory serves this stuff was 3/8" tall - but it comes in various sizes.

The seal works well (do the 3'x5" card test - shut the door, does the card become difficult to remove?). The seal is now 10 years old and still going strong.

Carl
door-seal.jpg

I used some scraps from the doors to cover over the pocket. The 1/2" x 1/8" foam seal goes right over and seals nicely. I had to move the door strut bracket down in order to avoid interference with the door.

Attachments

• 20180310_132429.jpg
    20180310_132429.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 303
  • 20180521_144723 (1).jpg
    20180521_144723 (1).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 260
Back