What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy skirt seal at aft top skin

pylotttt

What are some recommendations for a seal material To seal the canopy skirt at aft top skin?
I have some black foam rubber~3/4"w x 1/4" thick but find that after the canopy sits closed for a period of time in the sun the foam sticks to the aft skin and I have to pull up around the back edge of the canopy to free it.

None*

Well, the plans call for none. The canopy should snug down and not need a (rubber etc.) seal. OK. That said I didn't like what that was going to do to the paint so I put some HDPE tape in there (same stuff Vans sells for the flaps). If there is a big gap the canopy fit needs attention.

The folks at showplanes have some nice stuff and will send you a little sample kit of their selection

My solution

I glued heavy marine vinyl just aft of the bar on about a 1/2 inch width of glue; trimmed the vinyl flush with the back of the skirt, which leaves about 2” to inflate. The air flow is trying to flow into the cabin and acts to inflate the vinyl and presses it to the fuselage. Negligible leakage and no constraints with opening/closing the canopy.

I bought self adhesive felt of various thickness from McMaster Carr. It's worked great for 4 years.

I glued heavy marine vinyl just aft of the bar on about a 1/2 inch width of glue; trimmed the vinyl flush with the back of the skirt, which leaves about 2” to inflate. The air flow is trying to flow into the cabin and acts to inflate the vinyl and presses it to the fuselage. Negligible leakage and no constraints with opening/closing the canopy.

I may have given Darin ideas on how to seal his canopy back when... same process I used on my original 7A and worked great on the follow up 7's & 8 & 6. But my current 6A (purchased), what ever type paint he used on the underside of the canopy skirts - glue will not stick! So looking & watching for a good alternate solution... as a good rear seal is REQUIRED up here.

Last edited:
I just recently picked up some of that brush-type seal to put ahead of the contact point near the doghouse. I get a little breeze from that area.

Back