What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin autopilot steering in altitude hold

Question... can you manually steer the plane if in altitude hold mode?

Absolutely! Just press the HDG or TRK buttons to select one of those two lateral modes, then turn the HDG/TRK knob to steer the plane.

ACtC-3e3CV2PvC-CxJiFSXvqEYZIH7-yLi6yQxWmdHKW7Xc2yxjGGk-wJQYIcjgfvsQTn5gNt8tWIDT5vPqBTrwMx-EX2XGxZ6ImNgQhoT5ukJKaIX0m3DUtogZim8Cq9nViHvCCUK7emowc_VeyIHxXAR_2=w640

Steve

Absolutely! Just press the HDG or TRK buttons to select one of those two lateral modes, then turn the HDG/TRK knob to steer the plane.

ACtC-3e3CV2PvC-CxJiFSXvqEYZIH7-yLi6yQxWmdHKW7Xc2yxjGGk-wJQYIcjgfvsQTn5gNt8tWIDT5vPqBTrwMx-EX2XGxZ6ImNgQhoT5ukJKaIX0m3DUtogZim8Cq9nViHvCCUK7emowc_VeyIHxXAR_2=w640

Steve

Understood:) so it is not possible to have the roll steering servos disengaged while holding an altitude? No way to manually move the yoke while holding altitude? I question more for training purposes if I want to manually steer for approaches or holds while having the altitude constant.

Understood, so it is not possible to have the roll steering servos disengaged while holding an altitude? No way to manually move the yoke while holding altitude? I question more for training purposes if I want to manually steer for approaches or holds while having the altitude constant.

No, when the autopilot is engaged, both the roll and pitch servos are operational.

You can, of course, press the FD (flight director) button instead of the AP button, and use all the autopilot modes, including AP (approach) mode, while you hand fly the plane to the flight director with the servos off.

Steve

And if you have “Control Wheel Steering” enabled, you can hold the A/P disconnect button and have manual control as long as the button is held.

Understood:) so it is not possible to have the roll steering servos disengaged while holding an altitude? No way to manually move the yoke while holding altitude? I question more for training purposes if I want to manually steer for approaches or holds while having the altitude constant.

Not clear to me if you already have an autopilot. If not, a Trio Pro will do what you’re asking for.

Back