What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon version 16. I have a problem with it causing a lockup

Peter Costick

Well Known Member
I don't know if this applies to my installation only but....

I just applied version 16. I have two D1000s. One of them , s/n 2003, is now locked at the Dynon splash screen and will not start. The second screen s/n 2124 has updated and seems to be functioning.

I have a call in to Dynon and am waiting a reply. I am wondering if it is about the earlier version of the D1000?

I suggest those with older panels exercise some caution else you may find yourself grounded.

My Dynon D1000 is SN 20040 and had the same problem. Only fix was to ship it to Dynon for repair. Dynon took one week and 450 bucks. Ouch... but now it works.

I am planning to take my failed screen to a Dynon dealer, Horsham Avionics, next week. Its a four hour drive but a nice flight so....

I have removed the screen from the panel and made up cabling to connect the other components to the working screen. It is all functioning correctly as a single screen panel.

Having the faulty screen still connected caused additional issues with the transponder and my VPX, I suspect that because of the corruption the screen was in an intermediate state, neither on nor off and this was impacting the whole systems ability to deal with the failure.

I have been giving some thought as to how the problem could have occurred.

I currently have two theories.

First is that the failed panel is an earlier version than the panel that worked, serial number 2003, and it is obvious even when it is operating correctly that is boots more slowly. Perhaps it has a different processor, different memory or some other configuration difference that caused the update to the firmware to fail. This theory will be tested when the screen is re-flashed. If the screen fails again after it is re-flashed then perhaps this is the case.

Secondly I am thinking that perhaps there was some kind of loose connection with the USB which interrupted the update process at an unfortunate time, causing a corruption of the data. If after re-flashing the EPROM (if that is what it is called nowadays I might be showing my age there!) the update is successful then that may have been the cause.

Peter,
Are you trying to restart the display with the USB stick still plugged in? If so, remove the USB stick and reattempt the startup.

Guess I got lucky

Hey guys,

Just saw this as I just updated my Dynon D1000's and everything went smooth. Ser#21993 and Ser#7609 for reference. However, I have not flown yet but I did both screens individually. When the first screen was loading I got AHRS and EMS "X" on the second screen. Then I loaded the second D1000 and everything came back alive. Seems like it worked but waiting to fly. Will report if it worked. Sorry to hear its not working for everybody, hope I didnt just jinx myself.

Normal upgrade

Hey guys,

Just saw this as I just updated my Dynon D1000's and everything went smooth. Ser#21993 and Ser#7609 for reference. However, I have not flown yet but I did both screens individually. When the first screen was loading I got AHRS and EMS "X" on the second screen. Then I loaded the second D1000 and everything came back alive. Seems like it worked but waiting to fly. Will report if it worked. Sorry to hear its not working for everybody, hope I didnt just jinx myself.

Scott,

The ADHARS and EMS “X” are normal due to a software miss match between screens. Once you update the second screen, as you saw, the “X”’s disappeared.

Good luck on the test flight.

Brian

Peter,
Are you trying to restart the display with the USB stick still plugged in? If so, remove the USB stick and reattempt the startup.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have removed the USB stick and tried to restart but with no success. My other display updated correctly on the same USB stick so to me it looks screen related. I have also tried all combinations of connections and disconnections with the other screen and all components with no change. Dynon says it needs to be re-flashed, so that's the next port of call.

Peter

Back