What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Out of Serial Ports Skyview HDX

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm in the middle of an IFR upgrade and I'm adding a NAV/COM that emulates an SL30 (MGL V16/N16/Razor). This connects to my Skyview HDX via one of the serial ports, there are 5 made available. My problem is that I have already used all 5 for my transponder, VP-X, GTR200, ACK E-04 ELT and the Skyview GPS antenna (RX only).

My first thought is the ELT, it has connections for RX/TX but does it really need TX? If I can just use the ELT's RX and put that on the free TX with the GPS antenna, then I'd have a full RX/TX port available.

Is there any way to add serial inputs through an extra module? I've got an ARINC modules coming for interfacing my GPS175, but I don't see ARINC support with the MGL radios or the GTR200.

I'm open to other suggestions.

This isn't the Skyview network that is out of space, it the serial ports. None of the items that I have are Skyview network able. I've got the A/P and knob modules and the dual SV network ports are great. I had hoped that maybe the ARINC module, which is SV network attached, would allow for more serial ports, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

What are you putting in for a GPS? You could most likely take your position source off of the gps to your elt instead of the Dynon source.

Also, if you took the gtr200 off of serial wouldn’t you only lose the frequency tuning capability from the Dynon?

Just some thoughts

Last edited:
Try this, it will work

Claude,

What you suggested will not work. I tried something like that, but this is what I did.

Use another RS232 output from the GS175, and connect it to you ELT. The GPS will supply the position to your ELT, which will free up the RS232 port. I did that on mine.

You can also use the RS232 from the GPS175 and input that into the transponder through the included resister and it becomes your ADSB position source, and then through the ARINC module, it will also give you the position for the SkyView Map, and you can remove the Dynon GPS2020 from Serial Port 5 and use that port for the NAV/COMM. I also did that as a backup GPS Source for ADSB OUT.

Another thing I did was this. I have a SL30 and a SL40. I put a DPDT switch inline between the radios and the serial port and that way, I can select one of the radios at a time to go to the serial port, since you cannot look at both radios at the same time anyway.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for the specific suggestions. I like the idea of pulling the GPS off of the GPS175 for both the Skyview map and the ELT, by my count that would free up 2 serial ports. My only problem is that I don't have the GPS175 yet and I have no idea when it will ship. I'd like to test my NAV setup before getting the 175. I guess I can still test it without any integration into the Skyview.

I don't have ADS-B out, and I have the low power Dynon transponder (SV-XPNDR-262), so I don't have any options to enable ADS-B out without buying a new transponder. Being in Canada, buying to equip for US flight only and not for the upcoming space based system here in Canada isn't a great plan.

Brian, just out of curiosity, what didn't work with your attempt of something similar? Did you confirm that the ELT needs the two way communication?

SkyView serial ports

Claude,

Admittedly, I didn’t try hard, but when you use the the Dynon pre made settings, you can not split the TX and RX protocol‘s and baud rate so it is really not a way to go.

I think what would be easy for you at this time is do the DPDT switch. Connect the RS232 port from the SkyView to the center terminals on the switch and then one side of the switch to the Comm/Nav and the other side to the GTR200. Set the SkyView port setting to SL-30. When you select the Comm/Nav it will show you the Comm frequency on the top, and you will get nav data on the HSI. When you select the GTR200, it will display that frequency on the top, and you can push the SkyView freq to the GTR200. Since you can’t display both frequency at the same time anyway, this is a good work around for the serial port short comings.

Also, if you want a cheaper option for ADSB out with your 262 transponder, Trig will upgrade it to a 261 for $950 with a new 2 year warranty. If you are interested, email me at [email protected], and I will send you the link.

Also, if you email, I will send you my wiring diagram and setup instructions to connect the GPS175 to the SkyView.

Brian

Last edited:
Back