What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7/9 Compared to RV-10/14 cockpit

Lemos

Does anyone know the width difference between the RV7/9 and the RV-10/14? For those that have had the pleasure of both, is it a really big difference comparing the two?

Differences

Some of the differences come from how the seating is set up and if there is a center console installed or not. Shoulder width is easy to see from the measurements.

Don't discount the difference between climbing into and out of an RV-10 vs over the rail of a tip up or slider RV-7/9/14.

Then there's the seats. A 14 and 10 have more upright seating that is a little higher off of the floor.

All that to say this - go sit in each of them, take pictures, it will be fun research you can enjoy while preparing your shop for new tools and making space.

To find builders in your area check out the EAA Builder's Log site along with asking around here. Chances are all these planes are within a short hop of your current hang out.

I am building a 7A, but flew with Mike Seager last week in the 9A and the 14A.

Ingress into the 14 is a bit easier with that lower longeron. Seating is definitely more upright and a little more shoulder room than the 14, but I kind of like how you sit a little lower in the 7/9 and had no issues rubbing shoulders with Mike. I also (again very little time in both) like not having the center tunnel in the 7/9. I am 6'4" and had no issue with headroom in the 9A (surprising) if that is an issue for you too.

Can't go wrong with any of them, sit in all, choose your most common mission and enjoy. I guess the nice thing about the 14 that would sway my over the 7 if making the decision now would be advances on the kit.

Back