What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 Pitch offset

Richard Connell

Well Known Member
Question for G3expert or anyone else who might know.

I built a center console for my RV10 to join the panel to the tunnel.
It holds the Audio panel and some switches etc.
I had also planned to mount the G5 there as well.

From memory the stock vans panel has around an 8° angle in it.

My center console has a little more. Hard to know exactly but from fudging around with a digital level it appears to be around 23-25° from vertical.

The G5 appears to only have a maximum pitch offset of 15° which puts me in a bit of a bind.

Is there any way around this or do I need a new home for the G5? :(

0C3BE212-FBB9-4516-B775-A0590E321149.jpg

C15E5E6F-2F9D-4ADC-B97C-99AB36352180.jpg

Thanks
Richard

G5 panel tilt

From the G5 manual pg 3-5, the pitch can be offset up to 30 deg.
Attachment.

Good luck

Attachments

• G5 pg31.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 173
I imagine it's too late for this comment, but if you plan this as a backup for IFR flight you may find it to be too low to use effectively. I would not want to be shooting an approach with low ceilings and having to look down and to the right this much every two seconds while looking for the runway. If you use bifocals or progressive lenses, your head will also be bobbing up and down and this creates disorientation issues, especially if you are also using the IFR navigator as part of your backup.

Larry

Last edited:
I imagine it's too late for this comment, but if you plan this as a backup for IFR flight you may find it to be too low to use effectively. I would not want to be shooting an approach with low ceilings and having to look down and to the right this much every two seconds while looking for the runway. If you use bifocals or progressive lenses, your head will also be bobbing up and down and this creates disorientation issues, especially if you are also using the IFR navigator as part of your backup.

Larry

I don’t disagree, but everything is a compromise. I figured this is more useable there than on the far right of the panel.
There’s no room on the panel itself as I have 2 GDUs mounted as far left as possible.
There are 2 GSU’s so the overall level of redundancy is good.

Pitch/Roll Calibration

Question for G3expert or anyone else who might know.

I built a center console for my RV10 to join the panel to the tunnel.
It holds the Audio panel and some switches etc.
I had also planned to mount the G5 there as well.

From memory the stock vans panel has around an 8° angle in it.

My center console has a little more. Hard to know exactly but from fudging around with a digital level it appears to be around 23-25° from vertical.

The G5 appears to only have a maximum pitch offset of 15° which puts me in a bit of a bind.

Is there any way around this or do I need a new home for the G5? :(

View attachment 18985

View attachment 18986

Thanks
Richard

Richard,

The pitch/roll offset calibration is automatic for EAB installations, and not something you have to enter manually. 8.4.6.1 of the G5 Installation manual is where you will find the pitch/roll calibration procedure.

The pitch offset can be used to change the pitch reference, but the initial calibration must be performed first. As a reminder, the G5 can be mounted +/- 30 degrees from level cruise attitude, so as long as you fall within that range you can correct for the orientation with the pitch/roll calibration procedure.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Richard,
If you decide to change the location of your G5, suggest you consider mounting it on top of the glare shield. it will just fit under the center brace, with the battery next to the brace. You will have to fabricate a simple bracket to mount it there.

I was initially not sure about the location, but I am very happy with it there. I find when I am in the pattern, I use the G5 to quickly check my airspeed and altitude, rather than look down at the G3X in the panel. Keeps my eyes outside, and is very easy to use there.

Cheers,

Thanks All
Probably just getting a bit excited and had to turn it on before I’d finished everything.
I’m sure it’ll work out once if finished it all.
I’ll think about the glareshied mount too Dave.
Cheers

Yes - perform the level calibration procedure with the G5 in its final mounted location first. Then, do any fine tuning with the offset.

Dave
I have been considering this as a possible location. Can you share a photo of your setup?
Your comment about the actual utility of regularly using in the pattern has me considering this option.

G5 On Glare Shield - RV10

Dave
I have been considering this as a possible location. Can you share a photo of your setup?
Your comment about the actual utility of regularly using in the pattern has me considering this option.

Here are a few photos of my RV-10 with the G5 on the glare shield. I have higher res photos I can share along with info on how I mounted it if you send me your email address via PM

Cheers

Attachments

• Panel from Center.jpg
    Panel from Center.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Front View G5 IMG_4992.jpg
    Front View G5 IMG_4992.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Left View G5 IMG_4985.jpg
    Left View G5 IMG_4985.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Right Side G5 IMG_4986.jpg