What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Build Options Checklist

Everwild

Well Known Member
I'm getting started on an RV10 build and wanted to ask the pros what empennage options do I need to start thinking about, or purchasing soon? Right now I'm leaning toward Garmin G3X / GTN650 / etc for avionics and autopilot.

Here's what I can think of but I'm sure there are other good ideas out there.

-Autopilot servos and mounts
-Elevator trim
-Rudder trim / or yaw dampener
-Antennas
-ELT mount
-Pitot static ports and lines
-Tail beacon or strobe?
-Oxygen system mount?
-Camera mount w/USB power cable? (BuildFlyGo has a nice VS set-up on his 9!)

I'm giving myself 5 years to build this thing and don't love the idea of buying technology too far in advance , so how much of this stuff is easy to retrofit or add later? What should I absolutely buy and install while the empennage is opened up?

Thanks!

There's nothing you need to make a commitment to or plan for at this point. Everything (lights, antennae, wiring) is easily added at a (much) later stage.

If you are planning for a 3-axis Garmin autopilot then the pitch and yaw servo mounts are much easier to install while building the tail. Also, if you want electric yaw trim then installing the ray Allen servo in the rudder is also easier when actually building the rudder.

Magnetometer or ADHARS mount could also be in the tail cone.

You list "Elevator Trim" is this a replacement for WD-415 with an aftermarket alternate to satisfy SB 06-9-20?

Mods

I finished my empennage this summer.

The mods I made were as follows:
  • I installed a doubler and nutplates for a nav antenna on top of my VS
  • I ran a conduit through my VS for the nav antenna coax
  • I installed the mounting brackets for the Garmin pitch and yaw servos. Pitch would be easy to add later but the yaw bracket is riveted to one of the bulkheads.
  • I match drilled and clecoed in place the Vans ADAHRs shelf, will use it later for magnetometer.
  • I match drilled and clecoed in place the Van's ELT mount on the right side of the tailcone.
  • I fabricated an access door and mount on the left side of the tailcone for an external power receptacle.
  • I replaced the elevator trim brackets with the CNCd ones from IFlyRV10
  • I installed the mount for my rudder strobe light

That's all I can think of for now!

Back