What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tax frustrations

Ron B.

Well Known Member
It's not fun paying tax but when you have to pay it twice on the same item, it gets frustrating. Happens quite often, product shows up with a piece missing and vendor acknowledges they missed shipping it. Vendor pays shipping and puts the value of the shipment. $266 USD item now has a $61 CDN tax bill that you must pay before you get it delivered. You already paid the tax on the original bill for that part that you did not get. No US vendor seems to care, we Canadians are such a small part of their business. With that said I did have one shipment clearly marked warranty but the postal service still charged on the value. Said I would have to apply for a refund. Cost more to get that done than what the tax is and they know it.
Done venting, thanks

I have never experienced this problem personally. Everything marked "warranty/replacement" gets across the border without tax.

You fully have my compassion though. Sounds like a miserable experience.

Had a similar experience where vendor charged me for an item but forgot to ship. Paid tax once though as vendor shipped missing item as warranty item. Your vendor should have said the value is 0.00

I feel your pain. Shipping charges and tax are getting outrageous.

Keith

When I think of all the shipments i've received where no tax was charged because the vendor marked it with the value equalling the replacement cost to them, not the purchase price I paid, I am willing to overlook the occasional shipment that gets taxed in full.

It's not an ideal system, but on average it gets the job done.

Back