What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting lead with…..?

JeremyL

Well Known Member
It’s time to “remove the hatched area” of my right elevator counterweight. Have you guys ever used an oscillating multi tool for this? If you have, how did it go? I’m thinking of giving this a go because of how easy they are to use and it’s less mess. Thoughts, concerns?

It’s time to “remove the hatched area” of my right elevator counterweight. Have you guys ever used an oscillating multi tool for this? If you have, how did it go? I’m thinking of giving this a go because of how easy they are to use and it’s less mess. Thoughts, concerns?

Personally I would never cut lead with a power tool. A hacksaw takes longer but does not send nearly the contaminants into the air that a power tool does.

I'd probably try it. Would be very surprised if an oscillating saw would generate respirable particle sizes (~5 microns ?). That's if it's actually cutting and not burning the material. But wear a suitable respirator to be on the safe side.

I intended to clamp it to the deck and cut it outside using an N95. So safety is under control enough… but I’m wondering if it is worth trying enough that it won’t destroy either the tool, the piece or both.

I drilled (lot's of) holes using a normal drill bit and power drill at slower RPM. Kept drilling it until I got it slightly past balanced, then filled the holes with micro and sanded flush. Perfectly balanced, smooth surface.

Counterweight

Don't cut it. If it doesn't fit, tap it into shape with a hammer. No lost weight.
Later you can drill holes if necessary but I'll bet it will be pretty close.

Don't cut it. If it doesn't fit, tap it into shape with a hammer. No lost weight.
Later you can drill holes if necessary but I'll bet it will be pretty close.

So don’t remove the massive hatched area on the right elevator??

I just did this for my -8 using the course side of my vixen file and a round file for the radius. Worked great and allowed for fine adjustment of the weight.

Back