What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The BIG Headset Poll - What Do You Use?

The Big Headset Poll - Pick ALL that Apply

• Total voters

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Poll is limited to 10 choices. You can pick more than one item, that qualify.
Any other info please post message, like why you picked this headset (price, ANR or Brand).

Poll Questions: Select all that apply in Poll Above
Type: Passive Headset (Pick all that apply)
Type: Active Noise Cancelling ANC
Price: Under $300
Price: $300 t0 $800
Price: $800 or more
Brand: Bose
Brand: Lightspeed
Brand: Dave Clark
Brand: Clarity Aloft Headset
Brand: Other (Pilot, Sigtronics, FlightCom, Softcomm)

Research
Price: Most expensive Brands in order: Bose (no shock), Dave Clark, Lightspeed, Clarity Aloft. All ANR except Clarity Aloft passive in the ear headset is most expensive. Dave Clark still has extensive selection of passive headsets in the $300 on up ball park. Bose and LightSpeed specialize in very expensive ANR units as high as $800 to $1000, Bose being the most expensive.

Least Expensive Brands: Pilot, FlightCom, AvComm, SoftComm, Airclassics. These are lower priced and all passive. However Sigtronics and Pilot have low cost headsets they also sell a ANR model for $500 ballpark, low for ANR headsets of the "name brands" which typically start North of $700.

Share your thoughts. There are many other brands. Any headsets or brands to recommend or not recommend? Cheers

Last edited:
Old (1984ish) DC units with Headsets Inc ANR upgrade.

As your poll did not have the upgrade option, I chose "Other" instead of DC.

Bose

I have tried pretty much all of the choices over the years…I keep coming back to the Bose over ear product, currently the A20…

Did not like the fit of the lightspeed, I did like the sennheiser but it was on ear, which got uncomfortable after awhile. Did not like the David Clark product; fit mostly. Tried the in ear products but don’t like them, in general…for me not comfortable but really easy to carry around. They also get kind of nasty after awhile and need to be cleaned…although I have flown with some people who apparently don’t clean them…not a pretty sight.

I fly DC One-X but recently had the chance to compare them to Bose A20 on the same flight. I personally found that the Bose ANR was significantly more effective (too effective; couldn't hear the airframe/engine much) but I just can't get over the center pivot of the Bose and find the DCs way more comfortable. Also, as I've said before I don't like supporting "The Man". haha:D

When I went ANR, I went with Lightspeeds because I couldn't stomach the price for Bose. This was in about 2010 and I've got two pair of them that are still going strong.

Just replaced the ear seals with freebies from their oshkosh booth this year because they were shot, but other than that, my only complaint is that the plastic on the battery pack/volume control is getting that sticky "old plastic" feel.

I fear your poll may be flawed and produce suboptimal results - too many concurrent and overlapping options - but I’ll contribute.

I fly with a $700 Lightspeed ANR when I will be in and out a lot because the in ear are a pain to get situated.

I use a $275 lightly used CA in ear when I will be in the plane longer because of its light weight and comfort with glasses and hats.

I fear your poll may be flawed".

I beg your pardon Sir? :eek: :D OK. There is a limit of 10 Poll questions. YES there is overlap. That was the idea of multi choices. I wanted to know ANR or Not, Price, Range Brand pilots were drawn to. It is like three in one Polls. OTHER or anyone can make comments, just as you did. It is a conversation starter and shows trends not a "flaw". Good gosh you try to something nice. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj60OAh7O5U

Last edited:
I voted - but my answers probably didn't help the numbers much.
I use a Bose ANC headset when I fly and I own two passive DC headsets for the family. Which of course means that when I fly with family I'm the one wearing the DC and my wife commandeers the Bose.

So, I had to answer YES to a bunch of options in the poll!
Yes to ANC
Yes to Passive
Yes to 300-750
Yes to 750+
Yes to DC
Yes to Bose!

I accidentally ripped my A20s in half climbing out of my Mooney. Bose fixed them for free. Amazing service! Customer for life now.

Faro?

How is Faro not on here? I have their G2 ANR and Air, both are great values compared to the others. These days use the Air’s exclusively, sometimes I forget I am wearing them at all (Ned Flanders style :D). Had a problem with the G2’s once, their warranty support was great.

Used Lightspeed Sierra ANR for years, but they've been relegated to passenger duty ever since I got my QT Halos. I'd happily buy another set, though reading about the CQ makes me a little interested in that option as well.

I have a lightspeed zulu, but run the halo. If I had to buy new today, it'd be CQ.

Been using my Lights peed Zulu.2 for 10 years now and love them. I have tried everything from the $200 headset to a fancy (but older) Bose and always come back to my Lightspeeds.

Bose and Lightspeed, in my experience are very similar. They both fit a different head shape. I'll complain about uncomfortable Bose while another person will complain about uncomfortable Lightspeed.

While this survey is interesting, everyone needs to try the headset and see what is more comfortable. Especially if they cost a grand. We all have different shaped heads, so there isn't a one-size-fits-all.

When I went ANR, I went with Lightspeeds because I couldn't stomach the price for Bose. This was in about 2010 and I've got two pair of them that are still going strong.

Just replaced the ear seals with freebies from their oshkosh booth this year because they were shot, but other than that, my only complaint is that the plastic on the battery pack/volume control is getting that sticky "old plastic" feel.

Wipe down with GOO GONE.

I have four Bose A20s. I did my shopping at Osh years ago so I could try on various brands/models and simply like the Bose fit the best. Would love to have gone with a lower cost option but comfort was my top priority.

CQ in-ear headsets for me and the wife - "NO REGERTS" :D

Scored a pair of Bose A-20's on the classifieds that just needed new ear seals (and now function perfectly) for $550 (for both) - no REGERTS about that, either! I use them for the back-seaters or any co-pilot who doesn't want to learn how to fit in-ear tips before their flight. I view this as a best-of-both-worlds set up.

I’m using a Bose A-20 now and think it’s the best headset ever. I can wear it on long flights and it is still comfortable. I really like the built in dual Bluetooth connection. My backup is the QT Halo as a lightweight in-ear option, although lately I’ve not been able to get a good fitting earpiece and I have to use an add-on Bluetooth device that only allows a single device to connect. I still have a Sennheiser ANC that I really liked but Sennheiser quit the aviation headset market. I tried Lightspeed over the years but because of the deep ear cushions I always felt like it was about to fall off.

Here's a $100 headset I found after Lightspeed discontinued their very light passive headsets. Nothing fancy but they do the job for me. I have never seen the company advertise anywhere but I have bought several of them.
https://www.wicomheadsets.com/product-category/aviation-headsets/
Yep great passive headsets; they are copies of Peltor, which is good. I loved my Peltors. Made a mistake and gave them away with a plane I sold. You can't buy Peltor as well as Sennheiser. They stopped selling aviation headsets. :mad: I loved my Peltors so glad Wicom came out with a nice passive product at a killer price. I find passive with ear plugs as good as ANR without the batteries for me. The big difference is $100 vs $850. As well passive can be more compact, lighter, less fuss with no batteries.

Bose has always been the most expensive, in all their products. Remember the Bose Wave table top radio/CD players of late 1990's for $600 in 1990's money. The sound was yawn to me, but hey it was Bose! Lightspeed's prices were good at first, a good value, but their prices are approaching Bose prices now. By the poll these two dominate. It is MARKETING. These products are not costly to make, no "certification". Why can a nice Wicom cost $100? The electronics? I doubt the derivers, electronic, battery cost $200. Retrofit ANR kits are about $200. The least expensive ANR off the shelf is just under $400, half the price of the two ANR market leaders.

A few folks mentioned ANR kits for passive headsets (eg headset inc.). Again there is no proprietary secrets to the technology. There is a mic sampling sound in the ear cup. I subtracts the audio from the radio or intercom and creates a canceling wave form to negate the "noise". It is clever and does require fast processing, but it's widely known tech.

ANR technology is not that different between brands. The quality, fit, finish and materials and design/style are different. One brand may use better quality drivers (speaker, mic). They all do the same thing, but head shapes and hearing are VERY subjective. MOST of the noise reduction in ALL these full cup ANR headsets is STILL PASSIVE.

Last edited:
My reason for selecting (and loving) my Bose headset was not just based on the active noise cancellation - it was based on clamping force. I had another headset with active noise cancelling, but did not enjoy wearing it for more than an hour or so. I can wear the Bose all day, hardly being aware I have it on. Head shapes differ, so I recommend trying on the different brands. Better yet, get the Bose with the 30 day return trial from Sporty’s. I’ll bet you won’t return them. :)

Headsets

I have tried them all and the CQ headset is the hands down winner. Very well made and works a charm. Mike stays in place, all sizes of ear inserts included, and in my case, put molded ear inserts on mine. I wear hearing aids and I take out the aids and insert the molded plugs, very good noise blocking and it is a treat to hear VERY well. Highly recommend them. Money back for a period if you don't like them.
Ed

Same here

Haven't tried the CQ, but if it's basically an improved Halo (as seems to be the case), it would be unbeatable.

I love the Halo. As I've mentioned before, assuming you're okay with things stuffed in your ears, then in-ear is just a much better mousetrap than clamps.

You clampers really owe it to yourself to try the Halo, CQ, or equivalent.

I ... run the halo. If I had to buy new today, it'd be CQ.

Haven't tried the CQ, but if it's basically an improved Halo (as seems to be the case), it would be unbeatable.

I love the Halo. As I've mentioned before, assuming you're okay with things stuffed in your ears, then in-ear is just a much better mousetrap than clamps.

You clampers really owe it to yourself to try the Halo, CQ, or equivalent.

This is generally the 10' view. Those that have switched understand that there are significant differences.

A Bose looks a lot like a Lightspeed, which look a lot like a David Clark... from the right distance.

Not to argue the details, but this has always been a very passionate topic among pilots. There is no equivalent to a CQ Headset.

This is generally the 10' view. Those that have switched understand that there are significant differences.

A Bose looks a lot like a Lightspeed, which look a lot like a David Clark... from the right distance.

Not to argue the details, but this has always been a very passionate topic among pilots. There is no equivalent to a CQ Headset.

It's really a personal preference. I've to flow with in-ear and over-the-ear. I just can't stand something shoved in my ear canal for long periods of time. One hour is about my limit. After that, I have to rip them out. That's really true for any in-ear headphone including those I work out with.

I can't imagine you think Bose A20's look anything like LS or DS, but I'm heavily biased. :)

with you

I'm with you...can't stand "in ear" units...at all.

...and yes, I have tried them, including the ones that are made by filling your ear canal with goo and sending the mold off to have a custom insert made.

Just don't like it...

I would try something other than my A20s… however I feel the shame would depress me so much I would lose my medical.

Very happy CQ1 users

I was happy with Lightspeed Zulu for many years UNTIL they changed their repair policy. I found multiple generations of Lightspeed headsets to work well and although not always up to the rigors of my cockpit. They went back to Lightspeed with some frequency. The $100 flat rate repair cost and the sticky headband issue made me look for other options.

Captain Sandy switched to an early CQ1 and LOVES it. Better comfort, better sound clarity and great service. It took me a few tries and different ear tips to come around to being a big fan of the CQ1. Sold one Zulu and carry a Zulu for guest passengers.

Regards,

a word about ANC technology

A few folks mentioned ANR kits for passive headsets (eg headset inc.). Again there is no proprietary secrets to the technology. There is a mic sampling sound in the ear cup. I subtracts the audio from the radio or intercom and creates a canceling wave form to negate the "noise". It is clever and does require fast processing, but it's widely known tech.

ANR technology is not that different between brands. The quality, fit, finish and materials and design/style are different. One brand may use better quality drivers (speaker, mic). They all do the same thing, but head shapes and hearing are VERY subjective. MOST of the noise reduction in ALL these full cup ANR headsets is STILL PASSIVE.

I'll start with the obligatory statement that I design audio / acoustical products (including in-ear and ANC headphones) for a living :). Though the points above are valid, I have a couple comments:

Although ANC it is a known technology and seems somewhat straightforward, there's more to it. Different brands do utilize different ANC technologies and implementations (analog, digital, feed-forward, feed-back, hybrid, etc) and there certainly is a difference in performance. Yes, the proliferation of ANC headphones in the consumer space has certainly led to various "off-the-shelf" solutions that will all yield similar performance but big companies like Bose do utilize higher end components, custom algorithms and tuning. I believe this shows in the performance. System tuning is one of biggest differences among brands. There are many parameters that need to be considered and optimized in order to really extract the highest performance with no artifacts. This tuning requires a great deal of knowledge, tools and experience. As said above it's all subjective and no one is the same. Some may not hear a difference or may not be willing to pay more for a "marginal" improvement in performance.

As mentioned, even ANC headsets rely on passive attenuation at frequencies above a certain point but next time you're out flying around, turn off your ANC and it's pretty clear that the ANC is doing quite a bit at low frequencies where a lot of the engine noise resides.

Passive only headsets require heavier materials, thicker ear pads, and higher clamping force to achieve similar low frequency isolation. That's why the ANC is so attractive - great overall performance while being lighter and more comfortable.

I do agree - the Bose are **** expensive and I'm sure they're making good margins on them. But hey, some sales and marketing person there determined that they could sell them for that much and people would buy them ..and they do!

I'm very happy with my QT Halos. CQ1s look even nicer but weren't around when I bought my first pair.

My favorite thing about them has nothing to do with the sound quality - it's the heat! It's way to hot in my little bubble canopy 4 to wear over the ear sweat clamps all day.

LOOKING AT POLL ANALYSIS AS OF TODAY...

1) ANR headsets are more popular than passive. Every 2 out of 3 headsets are ANR.

2) People are willing to pay $750 or more for a headset. At least half of the headsets are in this high price range.

3) Bose, Lightspeed and DC are still among the most popular barnds, with The Bose and Lightspeed alone make up over half the market in this poll (which explains prices ppl pay).

4) The Passive Clarity in ear headset made a respectable showing at 7% and costing almost as much as ANR headsets. People either love them and others don't, due to dislike of in-ear speakers or earbuds.

5) The idea of adding an ANR kit, from Headset Inc. was mentioned. I will try the kit with my passive Wicom (Peltor clone) headset. From previous comments people seem happy with the kit. I'll report back. This could be a great lower cost ANR option (or not). If successful I will have an ANR headset for less than $350.

6) The OTHER headset brand makes up almost 20% of the Poll. It would be interesting to know what people like in "Other" brand category, passive or ANR, price? In other words what is the BEST ECON headset. The poll can not show this since I rand out of room with only 10 choices. Who is the king of discount economy headsets?

Last edited:
Don't know that they would be called discount or economy but I have some experience with both CQ and Quiet Technologies Halo headsets. Both work about the same but the CQ gets the nod because of better mic and made in Texas by RV flyers. I don't think I will ever go back to bulky over the ears headset.

I see that the Bose headsets are more popular than the Lightspeed. I assume (knowing that this may not be entirely correct) that the majority, and that means more than half, are A20 or the Zulu series. I've looked at the specs and the A20 is smaller, lighter and the mic can be on either side, which it can't on the Zulu. The A20 is significantly more expensive.

I have an original Zulu and am considering getting another headset. I'm completely satisfied with the Zulu, although I would like the option having the mic on the other side sometimes, and wondered what do you all regard as the major advantages to the A20, between those two headsets.

Thanks,
Dave

I see that the Bose headsets are more popular than the Lightspeed. I assume (knowing that this may not be entirely correct) that the majority, and that means more than half, are A20 or the Zulu series. I've looked at the specs and the A20 is smaller, lighter and the mic can be on either side, which it can't on the Zulu. The A20 is significantly more expensive.

I have an original Zulu and am considering getting another headset. I'm completely satisfied with the Zulu, although I would like the option having the mic on the other side sometimes, and wondered what do you all regard as the major advantages to the A20, between those two headsets.

Thanks,
Dave

Clamping force. I tried both at Oshkosh and the difference was significant to me. Surely depends on head size and shape. Try both to see what feels best.

Clamping force. I tried both at Oshkosh and the difference was significant to me. Surely depends on head size and shape. Try both to see what feels best.

The A20's have a center torsion spring/pivot headband. It's designed to provide a constant pressure on the head at 450 grams of pressure clamping force over the entire pivot range. So if you have a large or small head, the clamping force will be the same.

The A20's are also TSOed. That makes a difference to some who are flying commercially with employers who require it.

This weekend I tried my CQ1 for the first time. Replaced Quiet Technologies. Wow! What a difference. Didn’t expect them to be this good. The mic stays put and the sound quality is superior. Very happy. Thanks for a great product.

Thanks,
Dave

If you get a chance give the DCs a try too. Very well made, very high quality, 200 bucks less.

Back