What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Placement of remote parts on subpanel

Flyer2017

I'm changing my 9A panel from round gauges to two AFS EFIS with an Avidyne 540 and remote com panel. Trying to figure out how to arrange all the boxes on the subpanel and ribs. Looking for pictures of how others have done it. The 540 projects thru the subpanel which takes up a lot of available space for other boxes. Any pictures or referrals to builders logs would be helpful. thanks

Been there

Having been there it is really important to think about serviceability once the top skin is on. Figure on mating and de-mating connectors with one hand when underneath. With the rudder pedals anything forward will be hard to get to. Good luck. With a tip up, there is more access, but still requires some thought.

AFS installation manuals for the advanced control module have very specific locations for where to mount things. I put one of these AFS panels in an RV-9A and everything was perfect where they said to locate it.

Check out my photos here.

ADS-B mount

AFS installation manuals for the advanced control module have very specific locations for where to mount things. I put one of these AFS panels in an RV-9A and everything was perfect where they said to locate it.

Your photo #86 shows your ADS-B and ELT mounted on the fuselage side utilizing what appears to be some sort of universal bracket. May I ask where you obtained the brackets?

Jay.

Check out my photos here.

I also have an AFS Panel (slider) and most of the remote boxes will attach to the fwd. or aft part of the sub panel, and you will need to cut an opening for the Avidyne and attachment brackets for supporting the weight. Of course you will need to work around the canopy jettison handle (if installed). With the tip up canopy tou will need to ensure a good water tight seal to avoid damaging electronics, this can be challenging. Some have installed Van's access panel kit, however I find that once I remove my 10" MFD and PFD things become quite easier to work on.

Last edited:
Back