What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Classic Issues - Help!

jrock836

Well Known Member
Turned on the Master and my Skyview Classic didn’t boot up. The master switch light didn’t turn on either, but I could hear one of the fans turn on. I then pressed button 1 on the Skyview, which then started the boot up. Once booted up, buttons 1 and 2 don’t work in any menu.

I don’t remember if it’s normal, but the Master Switch light turned on as the Skyview display illuminated. There’s one point in the boot up process where the screen goes dark which is normal. But I did notice that when the screen went dark, the master switch light turned off and then turned on as the Skyview display flashed back on.

Any ideas what in the heck is going on? The battery seems to be okay. I was able to start the plane.. I hope I can get this figured out. I was hoping to fly to Oshkosh in a few weeks. I asked my question on the Dynon forum too. Yes MOD, I intentionally put this in the RV12 forum because I’m not sure if this is an RV12 wiring issue, or a Skyview issue.

Last edited:
I don't have a Skyview, but looking at the schematic, I think that the master switch light behavior that you described is normal.
Do you have a SL-40. If so, does it work OK?
With the master switch and the avionics switches turned on, measure the voltage on the SV-D1000 D-SUB 37 pin connector terminal 1 and terminal 20 without disconnecting the D-Sub from the Skyview.

I don't have a Skyview, but looking at the schematic, I think that the master switch light behavior that you described is normal.
Do you have a SL-40. If so, does it work OK?
With the master switch and the avionics switches turned on, measure the voltage on the SV-D1000 D-SUB 37 pin connector terminal 1 and terminal 20 without disconnecting the D-Sub from the Skyview.

Yes, the SL40 is working fine.. I’ll check those voltages tomorrow.. Thnx Joe..

Last edited:
On legacy RV 12s with early Skyview, the EFIS screen controlled the light dimming. So if the screen doesn’t fully boot up it could cause strange panel lighting behavior.

On legacy RV 12s with early Skyview, the EFIS screen controlled the light dimming. So if the screen doesn’t fully boot up it could cause strange panel lighting behavior.

Okay thanks.. Sounds like I just never noticed the switch lighting behavior until today while trying to troubleshoot the Dynon boot up and button issue.. I’ll get back after it tomorrow and try to contact Dynon and see if the have any recommendations.

Confirming you don’t recall anyone experiencing buttons 1 & 2 failing, coupled with having to push button 1 to wake up the display and start the boot process?

BTW, I ran across your fuel tank build video on YouTube. Good job! I learned a lot, even though I don’t plan to build a tank anytime soon.

Last edited:
Skyview Classic Issues

If the Master Switch light does not turn, the problem may be a blown 1 amp fuse on the circuit board behind the switches and fuses. That one amp fuse provides power to turn the voltage regulator on (this is on the older RV-12's). I was doing an avionics upgrade and did not disconnect the ground. I didn't know that was standard practice at the time. I learned the hard way. But during the upgrade process I blew that one amp fuse. When the upgrade was completed and I did a test flight all the avionics worked but the battery was not charging. That was the day before I was leaving for Oshkosh in 2018. So I drove to Oshkosh that year and when I came home I did the trouble shooting and fixed the problem. I fixed the problem at first by using the new wiring scheme where two terminals on the voltage regulator are jumped. That got the battery charging but the led on the Master Switch still didn't light. So I bought a one amp fuse and a buddy helped me by soldering it on the circuit board. I left the jumpers in place and the only thing replacing the fuse did was allow the led on the Master Switch to light up.

This may not be your problem but I thought you might like the information.

PilotYoung, remove that jumper. If there is smoke in the cockpit, the first thing you might do is shut off the master switch. Your eyes are stinging from the smoke, but you find the master by feel and shut it off. But everything electrical keeps working. Nothing shuts off as expected. Now you can barely see and your passenger is coughing. Do you remember what Van's Aircraft said to do in this situation? Can you see to do it? Will a future pilot know what to do? Remove the jumper and you won't be in this situation. Don't believe me? Try shutting off the master switch next time you are flying and see what happens.

If the Master Switch light does not turn, the problem may be a blown 1 amp fuse on the circuit board behind the switches and fuses. That one amp fuse provides power to turn the voltage regulator on (this is on the older RV-12's). I was doing an avionics upgrade and did not disconnect the ground. I didn't know that was standard practice at the time. I learned the hard way. But during the upgrade process I blew that one amp fuse. When the upgrade was completed and I did a test flight all the avionics worked but the battery was not charging. That was the day before I was leaving for Oshkosh in 2018. So I drove to Oshkosh that year and when I came home I did the trouble shooting and fixed the problem. I fixed the problem at first by using the new wiring scheme where two terminals on the voltage regulator are jumped. That got the battery charging but the led on the Master Switch still didn't light. So I bought a one amp fuse and a buddy helped me by soldering it on the circuit board. I left the jumpers in place and the only thing replacing the fuse did was allow the led on the Master Switch to light up.

I’m still waiting to get my Skyview back from Dynon.. Hopefully in another week or sooner. Based on Scott’s reply above I believe the Master switch LED to be controlled by the Skyview.. When the Skyview screen goes dark, so does the LEDs in the panel switches.

I also had same exact issue with my RV-12 , and remembered that the master switch light did not illuminate, that circuit board has a total of 3 -1 amp fuses, I had avionics friend solder wires to the circuit board and installed 3 slow blow 1 amp fuses in my glovebox, ( don’t want to have to ever remove that circuit board again) left all other wiring as it was. The master switch light had no effect on Dynon function.
Stan

Just heard from Dynon.. They found some corrosion on some areas of the button board. The repair has been made, along with some other "upgrades?" and I should receive it by Wednesday next week. Hopefully it will be good for another 9 years, or more..

They did the same on mine, and replaced the hard drive unit too, with a new unit, under warranty.

Seems the latest update created a situation where updates were reading information faster than the hard drive could write, causing the system to crash, if I understood the Dynon tech correctly, yesterday.

I can't say enough about how good Dynon is to their customers in getting things fixed and resolved, so we can go flying again. That's really rare, in this day and age.

Last edited:
I can't say enough about how good Dynon is to their customers in getting things fixed and resolved, so we can go flying again. That's really rare, in this day and age.

I'm pretty happy too.. Pretty much 10 business days, just as they promised. Would have been happier to not spend $450, but at least it's fixed..

Back