What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky-tec Starter wiring

wirejock

Well Known Member
Vans recommends one way. Sky-tec another.
Which is best and did you add an indicator off the contactor "I" terminal?
Vans
Van's Starter Wiring Lg.jpg
Sky-Tec
Certified LS Wiring_1100.jpg

Last edited:
I have no indicator but would put one in if building again. Mine is essentially wired like the Skytech drawing but I have a brass bar between the Master and Starter relays with a #8 wire coming off the Master, going to the ANL (if I recall), which feeds the main buss via 10 or 12g wire.

Vans recommends one way. Sky-tec another.
Which is best and did you add an indicator off the contactor "I" terminal?
Vans
View attachment 11232
Sky-Tec
View attachment 11233

Wire it the Van's way. This option keeps the starter from being "hung" after the engine is started. Why? The current from the "I" terminal is used to energize the starter solenoid instead of the primary motor current (big fat wire.). With a PM (permanent magnet) starter motor, it will turn into a generator when turning and primary voltage is removed -- this in turn keeps the starter solenoid energized and the "Bendix" (pinion gear mech.) engaged with the starter ring gear.

...and yes, run another wire from the "I" terminal to the engine monitor (Garmin GEA 24, GAD 27) so you can see if it's energized on the EFIS CAS display

*edit* Don't forget to add protection diodes...

Last edited:
Vans way

Wire it the Van's way. This option keeps the starter from being "hung" after the engine is started. Why? The current from the "I" terminal is used to energize the starter solenoid instead of the primary motor current (big fat wire.). With a PM (permanent magnet) starter motor, it will turn into a generator when turning and primary voltage is removed -- this in turn keeps the starter solenoid energized and the "Bendix" (pinion gear mech.) engaged with the starter ring gear.

...and yes, run another wire from the "I" terminal to the engine monitor (Garmin GEA 24, GAD 27) so you can see if it's energized on the EFIS CAS display

*edit* Don't forget to add protection diodes...

Thanks Brian. Exactly the explaination I wanted.

Back